Old 02-22-2008, 12:59 PM   #1  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

Default 5 bites to eat one Oreo cookie? I don't think I'll ever be like that...

I was just having a funny memory as I was reading a different thread.

Two years ago while I was still in graduate school, I remember watching another classmate of mine eat during class (typical fat girl, huh? Food bag opens and I can't turn away! )

Anyhow--- she was this cute, petite, skinny thing... and she had a little baggie with four oreos in it. It HONESTLY took her 5 bites to eat each oreo. FIVE BITES? She literally made that bag of 4 oreos last half the class...

Ummmm... I'm lucky if I get two out of an Oreo.

And it gets me wondering... that's a thin person habit. She's thin because of that.

I don't have it in me to eat an oreo in five bites. Will I ever??? I just don't think something like that can happen for someone with years of "food training"... I can cut portions... but that kind of stuff...

That's skinny people behavior!

Last edited by BrandNewJen; 02-22-2008 at 01:00 PM.
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: too much/a lot less

Default Baby bites!

5 bites?!?!?!
Oh dear.. I'm afraid the only way I could get 5 bites out of an oreo is if I found it mashed into five pieces in the bottom of the package!!!
chunkychelsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:40 PM   #3  
Catherine

S/C/G: 446/389/200

Height: 6'2

Did she atleast separate the oreo first? Thats the only way to eat an oreo cookie. haha..if she didnt, I wonder how long it would take her to eat one

I notice stuff like that all the time
BrokenButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:07 PM   #4  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I think it is a thin person mentality. They don't see food the same way as we do.

I have a memory of a student (skinny, of course) buying a bag of M&M's...ate some, folded the bag in half and it sat there until the NEXT day and then she finished them. I kept thinking...EAT THE M&M's ALREADY!!!

Last edited by Sandi; 02-22-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

I do think this a thin persons veiw of food. I can only hope one day I will be that strong.

I read one article years back and it said something to the effect of "...to be a thin person, you must not only eat but think like a thin person..." the article went on to say you should buy a bag of M&M's, potato chips, snickers bar, ice cream...what ever your weakness was and put it in the cupboard/fridge/freezer...and learn to live with food. The purpose was to learn that you didn't have to eat everything in the house, or all in one sitting. YEAH RIGHT!!! Spoken like a true skinny person!!! I like the idea of getting all the junk out of the house so you have a "safe haven" from the things that haunt you!! I mean c'mon do you think they would tell an alcoholic to keep a bottle of vodka on hand so they could learn not to drink it!!! SHEESH!!!
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #6  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

If anyone's interested, there's a book called the Beck Diet Solution that trains you to "think like a thin person." It's cognitive behavioral therapy and I'm a willing poster girl! It works with whatever diet program you're on. I'm still working my way through the program, but it's amazingly helpful to work on your thinking patterns as opposed to trying to tough it out by willpower alone. Willpower just doesn't cut it for the long haul, you know what I mean?

Jean
kuhljeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I've mentioned this in another thread.

My mom used to take 2 or 3 bites to eat a single almond. She'd eat 6 or 7 almonds and be satisfied.

I realize that now I do the same thing - not always, but most of the time. If I slow down and enjoy what I'm eating, savor the taste of them, rather than cramming handfuls in my mouth and gulping them down, I enjoy them more and eat fewer of them.

I have a dove chocolate bar that's been on my bedside table for almost a month now. I break off a square every couple of days, eat that, wrap up the rest and put it back. I've never been able to do that with candy before. It's kinda amazing.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:57 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I've mentioned this before, too. My naturally "normal weight" friend eats popcorn one kernel at a time, and takes two bites to finish a kernel. Now you think this is nuts--but I've tried it, and it really is an OK way to eat it. Not like my old way, which was to stuff as many as I could into my mouth and try to chew...

It lasts longer and you feel more satisfied.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 02-22-2008 at 02:57 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #9  
:)

I read once that if you're eating with a friend, you should set your fork down and talk between bites. You don't realize that you're allowing the food to make you feel more full by slowing down because you're talking, but you end up satisfied without eating near as much.
samick0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I don't know, my mom is a natural thin person and she always eats with relish, gusto and with obvious pleasure. She's just an energetic person (fidgety) and "forgets" to eat when she's busy.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:28 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

There defiitely is something to be said for slow, mindful eating. I'm definitely trying hard to learn the skill. I do great as long as I literally keep my mind on what I'm doing (eating). If I try to multi-task even just talking to dinner companions, the food is gone before I've barely tasted it.

The weird thing is, I found that it really does feel like I'm eating four times as much food, if I eat four times slower than my usual pace.

This is one of the reasons I've given up eating "diet" products that aren't great tasting. I've never found a fat free salad dressing that I can eat except by choking the salad down really fast. For years though, I did just that. It's no wonder that "dieting" felt like deprivation - eating foods I didn't like, as fast as I could choke them down SO I wouldn't taste them.

Eating quickly is a hard habit to break, though. I don't know if it will ever come naturally. I may always have to plan ahead and consciously work at taking my time.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:44 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Sandi,

My husband is like that. He'll eat part of something and put it away. It is hard for me to do that but I'm learning! I've started to weigh my portions so that there is no 'cheating' for things that are higher in calories.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:54 PM   #13  

Kate,

I think that book was called "When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies." I had the same reaction-yeah, I should keep my house full of brownies and chocolate chip cookies to help me lose weight-that would never work!

Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:03 PM   #14  

If it is perfectly normal I'll never be normal, there will never be an Oreo that takes me 5 bites to eat it. lol
kimmieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:11 PM   #15  
McLovin' *TBL Red Team*

The Oreo thing is really funny. I would try to eat my cookies in small, little bites to make them last longer but it would end up making me feel like I didn't really get to eat it. It was weird.

My best friend is a petite little thing and I observe her all the time. We worked together for a few years and if she was interrupted with a call during lunch or someone coming to talk to her about work...she would get so distracted and couldn't eat her food anymore. Its like she would get stressed about work and then throw away the food!!! That is when I would finish EVERYTHING! So weird. She is also the girl that forgets to eat!! I must add that, recently, I have discovered that she is WAY more aware of food than I originally thought she was. I almost think skinny people make an effort to eat things a certain way too?
xGurlyGrlx is offline   Reply With Quote