Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/167.5/135

Height: 5'2

Default dealing with non-dieters

hi again-

just wondering what kind of reactions you've received from non-dieters (i.e., skinny minnies), who a) don't really notice that you've lost weight b) when you tell them your ultimate goal (i have 27 left to lose), they react in shock, like it's not possible for you to lose that much?

hard to keep momentum going when all the new moms around me have already lost all the baby weight and look fab!

thanks again!

vera
veracitarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My advice would be not to tell anyone anything.

If they don't notice you've lost weight, who cares? Also a lot of people notice and don't say anything. I got the whole "did you do anything to your hair?" thing the other day from someone who hasn't seen me since 60 lbs ago.

I've also gotten the thing of "you better stop losing weight" or "do you actually plan to lose more weight?" And uhh yeah I'm still over 200 lbs people. I don't really tell people I'm losing weight but if they ask, I may tell them that I have lost weight.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:22 AM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Hey Vera,

I actually don't bother to talk to them about it. Whatsoever. I don't need, nor do I want, their comments/compliments. I'm doin' this for me!

It's not really their business what your ultimate goal is. If it happens to be mentioned, and they happen to comment that it seems like too much to lose. Just "white lie" it and say "My doctor and I discussed it. It's quite healthy, but thanks for the concern."

Do not compare yourself to other women! Who cares if they can lose 25 lbs super fast after having a baby? They are not you, they do not matter Compare your now self, to your former self. This is the time to be self-centered Focus on what you've done. Focus on how you have improved.

You HAVE improved.

And if you'd really like them to notice, just be patient. A couple more months and they will have no choice but to notice ^^
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:27 AM   #4  

thank you! thank you!

you're all so great - so thoughtful to take the time to respond to my worries.

vera
Old 02-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Personally as a former skinny person, I think if someone is naturally thin they don't really understand dieting and the stress of being overweight. When I was in college I ate double/triple what other girls did, tried to gain weight -while everyone else dieting. I didn't understand salads and yogurt and why they seemed so obsessive. It's not like I was flaunting it, I just couldn't relate especially to losing 25 lbs. Now that I've slowly lost 15 and hopefully 25 in the end I can relate all too well. I think this site is a good place to chat about dieting - we all have that in common - but in the "real world" people have different views, some are naturally skinny and don't care, some are skinny because they really watch it and can't relate, some are overweight and get defensive if you are being proactive and they aren't... body image is a sensitive subject I'm finding out, because I've wanted to share with others about my progress. Everyone has their own sense of reality. This just seems to be a subject that can push buttons. However if someone doesn't just "notice" that you lost, most likely they are busy, in their own worlds and not in "dieting mode" as you are. What you are accomplishing very few people have the will power to do I'm finding - yes you can find "live" people to chat with, but not a lot will relate or join you on your journey.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:42 AM   #6  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

I don't tell thinner people I'm dieting. I have some friends who are great many ways, they're just either not honest enough or knowledgeable enough to say "Well, that'll be better for your health. Be careful and make sure you do it healthy like".

I'm assuming people like me will understand me,but I have another friend I imagine weighs around 200 pounds who I'm sure would insist I don't need to lose weight. I understand how, from her perspective, she might feel that way. I'd rather not discuss it with her because its sensitive to her We love each other how we are.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #7  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

If people ask if I've lost weight, I mildly say, "A little bit," and change the subject. I don't think my personal body is a viable topic of discussion for anyone except me and my doctor. I'm much, much more comfortable when people don't notice or don't say anything.

As for keeping the momentum going for myself, I spend a lot of time looking at what I've achieved and what I'm doing TODAY to get closer to my goal. I congratulate myself on healthy eating choices, I keep careful records of my gym visits and revel in added weights on my lifts, and pay attention to how my body is changing. At any point when I'm comparing myself to another person and thinking, "Oh, wow, she lost 10 pounds this month and I only lost three," I can think, "BUT I rode 21 miles on my bike last sunday, and I'm doing 50 pound squats!"
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #8  

thanks for all the great responses.

i think the reason i've mentioned the dieting is that i hang out in new mom groups several times a week and the primary activity there is eating!
these women eat constantly and don't seem to gain.

i actually gained weight AFTER losing all my pregnancy weight because of the food (and my lack of self-control) at these meetings.
so, now i don't eat there - i eat at home and then go out.
and everyone notices and comments - and i almost feel like they are sometimes pushing the food on me, although i am more overweight than most of them.
actually, the one women there who is also overweight - and totally not interested in dieting (which is fine) is really agressive and obviously dislikes what i am doing. weird.

it is hard - lots of cookies and sweets, brie and bread. my favorites!

so, when they see i'm not eating and question it, i feel like i get defensive and say, well i've lost 10 lbs, etc.

thanks again!

Last edited by veracitarella; 02-22-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:33 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

How about eating before you go to your mom's group? Then not responding about "why" you don't want to each such and such... we just had this discussion in another thread, about how we don't have to explain our choices to others. People don't always want to see you succeed, even your so called "friends..." If they are down, they'll want you to stay down with them. It's easier to go through life mindlessly without thinking, without worrying about the consequences - ie getting fat, being broke, a most Americans become. Perhaps you could choose your "friends" carefully, the ones you really confide in, and learn to have "casual" friends that you only talk lightly with? Dieting seems to go in the league of politics, religion - although I've only realized that lately, most people just don't want to here it -and here I am feeling energetic and proud of my progress... so likely are you. When the world doesn't cheer you on, you learn to be your own cheerleader! Maybe you need a diet buddy, is there someone in the group on the same "mission" as you that'll go to the park, go on walks, before or after your group?
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Wow...that really sucks. ON the one hand, you wanna hang out with all these new moms so that you can connect with other women who are going thru what you are going thru and on the other hand, you don't really want to in a way because they are trying to make you fat. That is a really hard place to be in. I really feel for you. All i can say is...you have to do what is right for you. Sounds like you have really already made up your mind by eating before you go and that is GREAT!!!! Good for you!!! I don't know....maybe you should try to find something to take THEIR minds off of trying to feed you. Bring an interesting baby article to discuss...or find something else you could do instead of eating. Or maybe just tell them you had to eat before you left the house and just aren't hungry but thanks for the offer anyways. But no one should make you feel bad because you don't want to regain your pregnancy weight when you're not pregnant anymore. If all else fails, find another group of new moms in the area who would rather find active activities to do together while hanging out. Suggest getting outdoors and pushing the strollers instead of sitting inside eating. Either way...good luck to you and let us know how it goes!!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:50 PM   #11  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

If people ask, then I tell. But otherwise I keep it to myself (except for very close people to me so they know I'm trying and to not offer my tasty treats that I can't avoid!)

If they're asking that means they're noticing. My theory.
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:02 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I am another one who doesn't tell anyone I am dieting, saves comments from the food police. If someone should happen to ask if I have lost weight I just say, "a little" then change the subject. I find the less said, the better. think about those "skinny minnies" they never explain why they only eat a half a sandwich or only a bite of pie!!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:12 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

How about eating before hand like suggested and then telling them that you aren't hungry if they ask. I know several thin people who don't eat when thay aren't hungry, so it might not seem weird to them.

I had this problem when I was losing and it was aggravating! I'd either get strange advice (like "bananas will make you fat") or the guys I worked with told me I should stop losing. It's not like my goal was that low people! Or then there was the guy who couldn't stop telling me how hot I was getting and then made me REALLY uncomfortable.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:14 PM   #14  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

I hate the 'skinny-right-after-giving-birth' types -- most likely because I'm so not. I'm still trying to lose the weight from my last baby --- and she just turned bloody 11!!

If someone ever notices -- and in my experience they mostly don't because everyone is into their own heads -- I'll just say 'eh, just a bit'; especially if it's more than than. Let 'em wonder how a few lbs loss on you looks so fab! Same w/exercise. I say 'oh yeah, I've been walking the dog a little more'. Yeah, like that's why my shoulders are buff.

Eat b/4 you go; take a plate full of stuff you really dislike and push it around. If someone bugs you, tell them you think your getting streph. Tell them you just had a root canal. If they make some rude comment just stare at them like they're insane and say 'what??!?!' really loudly. What can I say, some people are dense. There really should be a patch for stupidity. Personally, eating at these things I've never had a prob with. It's when I'm alone . . . and the food police go on break . . . . and the goodies start calling my name

I've learned to not sweat the petty things (and not pet the sweaty things).
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:15 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

bargoo- good point. Nobody questions skinny people why they aren't eating very much. They really stick to questioning the bigger ones. I had never thought of that. I tell my friends/family about my diet but not just anybody.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote