Old 02-21-2008, 04:35 PM   #1  
Make it to the moon...

S/C/G: 5/8/19: 319/254.0/150.0

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy Dinner~ Issues with eating enough at dinner without overeating and evil snacks

Dinner is always the time of the day when I tend to fall apart. I have a hard time sticking to my portions as I find I am still hungry once I have "finished" eating. I drink plenty of water, but still have to fight to stay away from the evil evening snacks. To make matters worse I just quit smoking so my instinct to fight my cigarette crave is to eat something. It's too cold outside to busy myself with an outdoor activity and with the exception of the dishes, our apartment is almost spotless all the time as we do little stuff to keep it that way constantly... any ideas of how to fight the evil snacks and keeping with portion sizes without making my body feel like I'm starving it?
KimL1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

What I usually do is eat my portions. If I'm still feeling hungry I wait 10 minutes or so. Most times the feeling passes and it was just my inner fat chick wanting to be fed. If it doesn't then I have plenty of low cal items—yogurt, carrots, cucumbers, fruit, 100 cal. snack packs—on hand. I may even fix me another serving of dinner—if it's not too high calorie. Knowing that I could go back for more if I chose helps immensely.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:10 PM   #3  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb A double whammy---huh?

So, you decided to quit smoking and lose weight. Well, I once met a woman who quit smoking and drinking and decided to lose weight! Yikes! I would be crawling the walls.

Have you tried breaking up your eating into smaller meals? For example, on South Beach which I am following, that is recommended for Phase 1 but you can also follow through with that on Phase 2. Make sure that your mid morning and mid afternoon snacks have some kind of protein. For example, have 1 oz of reduced fat cheese and 1 small apple. You would be really surprised how that curbs your appetite!

I now also have sugar free Jello for a low cal dessert (I think there is about 10 calories or so in one) along with that apple and cheese. It whisks away those leftover hungries from your evening meal.

Again, think smaller meals, spaced evenly throughout the day, then think lean PROTEIN!!

And, congrats on deciding to tackle your smoking. I am so proud of you for that. Now, could you talk to my sister about that????

Last edited by pamatga; 02-21-2008 at 06:11 PM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

How are you deciding your portions? Are you following a specific plan, that would help us in helping you more specifically. For example, I count calories so I save more of my calories for the evening so I can have a nice sized dinner and a snack and feel full...if I am truly hungry I will up the calories because your body needs to the energy, especially if you are exercising.

I have learned there is real hunger, and then there is what I used to call hunger but was actually just wanting to munch, dehydration, or emotions, etc. If it is real, true hunger then you might not be getting enough calories, your body may need a bigger portion, or more protein maybe...depends on what you are eating to tell really.

The danger is if you are really starving and not getting enough calories...your weight loss will slow down if you're not eating enough.
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Before you sit down to eat dinner, have a big glass of water. And if you like, a salad with fat free dressing, or an apple, or a cup of 100-calorie soup. This kind of appetizer will cut your appetite.

During dinner, I often have 2 different kinds of veggies and I plate up large helpings of those and a small portion of main dish. I have to eat all the veggies before I can have seconds on the main dish. I usually am too full for seconds.

After dinner, I get up and go brush my teeth, floss, and use mouthwash. That is a "signal" to myself that I am DONE eating. I don't have anything after that unless I am starving a few hours later. Then I have 6 almonds and a glass of water, or some decaf tea.

If you feel the need for a dessert or a sweet after dinner, you can handle this one of two ways. If you have the calories and are not full, have a bowl of fresh fruit (berries, orange segments, peaches). Top with a little lowfat whipped cream. Another nice dessert is a half cup of unsweetened applesauce sprinkled with cinnamon. Yummy.

If you WANT a sweet, but don't have any calories or are full, have a sugar free jello. Or do what I usually do: have one of these 3 choices:

a Nip Chocolate Parfait candy (hard caramel with a real chocolate center... 30 calories, takes awhile to dissolve and is yummy)

a few chocolate covered altoids

a Viactiv chocolate calcium chew

And if all else fails, chew gum.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Hey why don't you just plan a healthy snack after dinner? Personally, I'm not much of an afterdinner snacker - I'm an afternoon snacker. I realized that fighting the afternoon snack attack was doomed to failure and now I plan 3 healthy snacks in the afternoon between lunch and dinner. My healthy planned snacks keep me happy and OUT of the snack machine. The snacks are definitely budgeted into my calorie totals for the day.

I definitely don't think my snacks are evil, they are necessary to keep me happy, full and satisfied
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:25 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

I understand the after dinner hunger. I have it alllll the time. I am so weird though. Like I don't even get hungry till like 6pm. Breakfast and lunch pfft who cares...come dinner time its all about what i can eat.
martinlady711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #8  
Make it to the moon...

Smile Snacking and dinner

I have a bowl of cereal and a honey wheat english muffin with a little light butter on it. I usually bring an orange or clementine for a morning snack, and I eat a salad with light balsamic dressing and either a SmartOne or a Lean Cuisine for lunch. Sometimes I have a can of Progresso soup (light or weight watchers, I love the Southwest Vegetable) and usually am pretty full after that. I have the 100 calorie popcorn bags which I split in half into ziplocks and bring one for an afternoon snack. I have had a soda addiction for years so I have cut down to only drinking one 100 calorie coke a day, which I normally drink at the same time as I eat the popcorn. I average between 3-5 liters of water a day as the school is very dry and I am easily dehydrated. Dinner is usually a throw together at the last minute type of thing. I work at school full time and coach as well, and my time management is lacking. I know I should plan better. When I do manage to put dinner together we normally have meat, vegetables, and mashed potatoes. I'm using smaller plates now and now try to have much more vegetables than the meat and potatoes combined. I don't like butter on veggies, so that is one bonus. I like the soup and salad before dinner idea and will try it, probably tonight actually. I also really like the teeth brushing idea, as I never seem to be hungry after I brush my teeth (that has been my solution for not smoking at night before I go to bed since I always used to).
I'm loving the suggestions, keep them coming. Thank you!
Old 02-22-2008, 11:11 AM   #9  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

I am like you. The second dinner ends, I am already craving dessert (comes from my upbringing.) So, I finish off dinner with a fatfree reduced sugar fruit yogurt sprinkled with Kashi GoLean crunch. It's about 200 calories... but very filling and satisfying. It's got protien in it, so it fills you up!
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:05 PM   #10  
Make it to the moon...

Talking Feelin a little better

Lyn2007~ I used your idea of salad before dinner and it worked perfectly tonight.

I had to cook some chicken today before it went by and I decided to cook it in terriyaki sauce. It came out awesome! I cut it into tiny pieces and threw a few pieces on a salad prob 1-2 oz. worth (of chicken). I didn't need any salad dressing because the marinade really seeped into the chicken. I then had a small helping of shepherds pie (I love shepherds pie and normally pile it on my plate). I'm stuffed! I love it, and it's been over an hour since we ate. Some successes, gotta love them!
Old 02-24-2008, 01:13 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Great! I am glad the salad helped. Whenever I eat out and have a salad, I can never finish my entree
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote