Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 07:15 PM   #1  

Default Anyone have experience with Zone diet & WW?

I've been a verrry slow but patient loser with Weight Watchers for ages with some ups and downs. Now a friend at work is rhapsodizing about the Zone diet, how wonderful he feels, how much energy he has, and how much fat he's losing, and I'm wondering if I'm missing out on something. He claims that on the Zone I wouldn't have my afternoon energy slumps, carb or sugar cravings, and would feel sharper and more energized.

I just visited the Zone site and while the plan seems fairly logical and not too extreme, their meal plans are awful fussy, much more so than WW has required. I'm not sure I have the time to be dinking around with that many egg whites, and I'm quite the pasta-eater (although I always have a good dose of protein with my pasta, along with big salads).

So has anyone out there had experience with that diet, or with trying to combine it with WW? If it's absolutely wonderful, I suppose I could adjust to it, but is there anything to what they say?

Thanks,

Lenore
Old 05-16-2002, 07:59 PM   #2  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

This is a tough one. i think WW fits into lots of plans. Sticking to your points while following another plan can be easy and it can be hard. You can esily do low carb with ww for example.

I think you need to ask yourself if the plan you have in mind is too complicated and rigid or of it goes with the flow of your life. WW was easy for me because I could go out to eat and cook at home and still stay on plan. if Zone looks good to you and doable then do zone and count your points, otherwise I say why fix what isn't broke.

be well,
-L
Old 05-21-2002, 03:59 PM   #3  

Default Tried the Zone diet...

I did the Zone diet before joining Weight Watchers. I had the opposite experience of your co-worker. I followed the plan religiously, and I do mean religiously, for 6 months. I never deviated once, had my allocated "blocks" at the right times, exercised every day...

In 6 months I lost only 3 pounds. I also felt sluggish and slightly sick the entire time, and had dreams about pasta and bread. I had to increase my stomach medication. Also, the plan was very difficult for me in terms of having to eat at certain times every day, since my schedule changes so often.

I stopped the Zone and joined Weight Watchers. In 6 months, I lost 25 pounds, my energy level zoomed way up, and I was able to eliminate my stomach medication altogether. I've been lifetime for 3 years now and still feel great.

I guess different plans work for different people...

-Jamie
Old 05-21-2002, 04:26 PM   #4  

Wow, Jamie, that's a good example of how different we all are. I'm really glad WW is working so well for you, and especially that you didn't give up trying after the Zone didn't do the job!

As for me, I'm doing an experiment. I'm still counting points and doing all the required WW elements (kinda like a figure skating program, only less graceful ), but in addition I'm trying to make my meals meet the Zone's proportions of carbs to protein. Their recommended fat intake is just not enough for me, so I add "good" fats. And I don't worry about the timing of the meals and snacks, because like you I just can't keep to that kind of schedule.

So far--three days in--I feel less sugar cravings & hunger (must be all that protein) but my stomach isn't bothering me yet. Thanks for the heads-up about your stomach trouble, because I have a history of ulcers and am also on medication, and no amount of weight loss is worth having ulcers again. If this is all that happens, maybe the message is that I just wasn't eating enough protein, and if I adjust that I can simply focus on WW. That'd sure be easier!

Lenore
Old 05-21-2002, 04:46 PM   #5  

Default Glad it's working

Glad you found a combination that works for you, Lenore! Good luck with everything.

-Jamie

P.S. The one thing I did like were the Zone bars. Pretty darned tasty.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:17 AM   #6  

I did the Zone diet a few years ago and lost about 15 lbs very quickly. However, when I started eating more carbs, the weight came back. The ZOne to me, is nothing more than a low-carb, high protein diet.

eom
Old 05-29-2002, 12:43 PM   #7  

Rachel, I think you're right; they count all those wonderful 'free' veggies as carbs! I've backed off of the Zone concept, except that I'm eating about 50% more protein than I was, while otherwise following the WW program. My body seems to like it; I'm less ravenous after working out and my blood sugar does seem more even, so I guess my protein needs are just higher than I thought. The best thing is that it shook my cooking up a little; I actually bought a wok and have been stir-frying for the first time in years!
Closed Thread