Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-20-2008, 04:55 PM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Baby food ?

Ok yes this isn't for your kids, this is for you.

I know there are others out there but I recently started buying baby food to keep as snacks for work. When I was buying groceries online, I noticed "Beech nut naturals" was on sale and I looked at the ingredients to find they only contained fruit, vegetables and water. They are perfect little portioned out snacks. So anyway I ordered some and I like them although I've only tried a few so far.

Anyone else do this?

I also really wish I could find an online place to order them inexpensively. I kind of freak out whenever I go into the baby aisle at the grocery store. I tried checking out the baby aisle the other day and I started getting panicky. I also had the thought of buying baby food and the cashier or whoever actually thinking I have a baby. (Yes I am baby phobic, just don't tell my mom)
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:04 PM   #2  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Can't help you here. I was going to suggest making your own. I did that with a Happy Baby Food Grinder when my younger DD was a baby.

However, do you can tomatoes or anything like that? If so, you probably have all the canning supplies. Could you make your own and can it in those little 4 oz jars? That way, it can sit on a shelf instead of taking up the fridge.

Also, you might want to check Walmart if you have a super one near you. I don't. Also Costco.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

I also do this and have been doing it since highschool. I just buy it in the regular grocery store. I don't think you shoudl worry about it. I have recently come across 2 recipes in cookbooks that called for babyfood! Both were delicious too!!
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I have done this.

As far as making your own baby food...it really would take all of the convenience out of it, which is probably why you are buying it, yes? I have made homemade baby food before-and it is really only good to serve fresh, or to freeze in ice cube trays for later.

If you are interested-I suggest you call Gerber (you can get the number from their website) and ask for coupons. They'll send you some.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Baby food squash. I had some yesterday. Nobody else at my house wants squash very often so, one serving works very well. And it's almost always less than 50 cents.

Learned this from the ladies who lift
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:31 PM   #6  
Captain Obvious

Height: 5'8

I don't eat the jarred baby foods, but I sometimes pick and my son's wagon wheels or stars...those things are like sweet puffed Cheerios and pretty darn tasty! When he was a baby, I made pureed foods in bulk and froze them in ice trays or muffin trays, popped them out and put in a storage bag in the freezer for convenience, you might give this a try too. They also have things like apple sauce and cut fruits in snack sized containers you can try if you have baby phobia. =)
gastronome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:57 PM   #7  
Just Me

I kind of stalked the baby food aisle today as there was a large sale on baby food. At first, there was a lady in the aisle, so I walked passed it, then I said screw it and went in. Then I loaded up my already loaded up cart. Then I got nervous that the cashier would say something. She didn't though.

Anyway, I got lots of good stuff. I really stocked up on butternut squash because it is sooo good and really low calorie.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:16 PM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

Babyfood has never crossed my mind. But I am intrigued and I think I'll have to pick something up next time I am in the supermarket. My weight loss plan is definitely not working right now, it is probably good to try some new things.
Razz44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I've never had a baby, and it's not likely I ever will. I've bought maternity tops for myself though. I love BCOutlet (it's the Roaman's, Lane Bryant, and other Redcat stores clearance) and I found some adorable clothes in my size in maternity. I did avoid the big pastel stork t-shirt (though I considered it for jammies) but have several tops, jammies and a sleepshirt. The sleepshirt has baby teddybears all over it holding pacifiers and baby bottles).

I also buy Gerber Graduate crackers for myself. They come in a package of 6 or 8 packages. Two flavors come in a package (cheddar and veggie). The Dollar Tree in our area sells two boxes for a dollar. So for less than dime a serving (60 calories). Sure the serving is small, but that's the point. I love that the little crackers are tasty, but not overly salty.

Sugar free peach or apricot jello made with apricot babyfood is one of my favorite desserts. My aunt used to make it for potlucks. A friend gave her the recipe to "sneak" fruit into the jello for her kids. It has a really silky, rich texture and so yummy.

I've bought baby socks to make doll clothes out of, and to make coin purses keychains for gifts for friends when they're expectiong. A tiny pair of socks, especially if I know the "appropriate" color make really cute gifts for the new Mom and Dad. I sew a little purse clasp, button, velcro or a zipper to the cuff and sew on a key ring.

Actually I buy a lot of things that might not only give cashiers the "wrong" perception of me, but draw enough attention that they actually ask what I'm going to use the stuff for.(I'm a craftaholic, and I love using common objects to transform them into something else - it's why I LOVE dollar stores and thrift shops. When I first met my husband I told him a story about buying something odd (I don't even remember what it was) and the clerk's raised eyebrow. My husband told me that when he was in college, he and his friends played a game (basically a "dare" game) to see who could best freak out store cashiers on the night shift. An example might be duct tape, panty hose, large yard garbage bags, a big kitchen knife and a teen magazine. (Sick game, and apparently they stopped "playing" when cops showed up one night at their apartment and they had to explain "the game.")

Still, his extreme story made me a lot less self-conscious about buying ANYTHING. The funniest part was that my husband said that alot of the time, the clerk didn't even seem to notice what they were purchasing at all.

One of the crafts I do is remaking fashion dolls. I buy hair extentions and braids for doll hair. Talk about freaking out a cashier. I went into a Sally's Beauty supply and bought a bunch of hair extentions a few packages of each color. The clerk asked if I realized that I didn't have enough to "do" a full head of hair, and helpfully advised me that extentions I had chosen don't work very well on white hair (my hair's not white, she meant caucasian). I had to explain that I was using them on dolls. It stumped her, and she asked "why?" Of course, I really didn't have an answer other than "it's fun."

Anyway, don't worry about what the cashiers are thinking about you. Mostly they're not.

Last edited by kaplods; 02-22-2008 at 11:58 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:35 AM   #10  

Having been a grocery store clerk at one time, let me tell you -- baby food is the last thing that sets off the "what are they doing" alarm -- pregnancy tests, birth control, men buying tampons (he must really love someone), etc. would draw my attention -- baby food not even a blink of the eye -- could be for a child at home, you could run a daycare, not terribly interesting conversation for a clerk anyway -- so, if you like it -- stock up -- great serving size and convenience!! Now, I get paranoid, being overweight, if I buy like a carton of ice cream, or two/three bags of chips for a party or something and worry they are "watching" and to be honest, most clerks are thinking of "I'm done in 10 minutes, I have a break in 10 minutes, I have 100 things to do when I'm done, etc".
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:37 AM   #11  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
When I first met my husband I told him a story about buying something odd (I don't even remember what it was) and the clerk's raised eyebrow. My husband told me that when he was in college, he and his friends played a game (basically a "dare" game) to see who could best freak out store cashiers on the night shift. An example might be duct tape, panty hose, large yard garbage bags, a big kitchen knife and a teen magazine. (Sick game, and apparently they stopped "playing" when cops showed up one night at their apartment and they had to explain "the game.")
Oh my goodness! That's too weird. (Boys and their games. )

Nelie, I've just never thought about baby food for anybody but babies. Are you using it in recipes or just as it is as a vegetable?
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:39 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 194/155/145

Height: 5'11"

gerber baby apple sauce is really good

i don't recommend the bananas tho...bleh
loveXhateXregret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:03 AM   #13  
Incredible Shrinking Sue

S/C/G: 284/146/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Sugar free peach or apricot jello made with apricot babyfood is one of my favorite desserts. My aunt used to make it for potlucks. A friend gave her the recipe to "sneak" fruit into the jello for her kids. It has a really silky, rich texture and so yummy.
That's a wonderful idea! Have to try that one.

I really like the junior baby plums which look like purple pudding. Tasty though. I have a quickie carrot cake recipe that uses baby carrots (haven't made that one since my diet though!) Never thought of having other baby foods as snacks...I like the idea of the squash for a little serving. Haven't paid attention to the stats on baby food so I don't even know if they compare to real fruit/veg or are they more like juice dietwise?

As mentioned, I don't think cashiers really think much about someone buying baby food. If they do, so what? I used to buy baby chicken jars (a bunch at a time) for both my cat & dog (used a little scoop as a treat or to give meds) & no one ever said anything.

Last edited by suesully; 02-23-2008 at 01:04 AM.
suesully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:20 AM   #14  
LLV

Why in the world would you care what the cashiers think????

My favorite munchies are the Gerber Graduates meat sticks. So yummy! A whole jar is about 110 calories and it's just like eating Vienna Sausages. I love snacking on those. In fact they're on my store list, I need to pick some more up today.

I also pick up the little entrees as well. An entree with a main dish and a side vegetable is 110-130 calories, depending on which one you get. I found something new that I haven't tried yet; the Graduates lil sides, the mashed sweet potatoes and carrots. I also buy the little single meals. My favorite is the chicken stew with noodles. Sometimes I'll eat it alone and sometimes, if I'm in the mood for a bowl of comfort food, I'll make one serving of instant mashed potatoes and dump the hot chicken stew with noodles over top.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:17 PM   #15  
Just Me

jtammy, I'm using them as snacks at work. They are good to eat cold although I don't buy the veggies ones. I saw those but don't really feel like heating up baby food at work

sue, baby food is just pureed veggies and fruit so it contains all the vitamins and fiber of the food, just in a little snack size.

As I said, I just have kind of a baby paranoia for some reason. I was buying an outfit for my nephew the other day and this lady started talking to me about kids and clothing and I was like uhh I don't know anything, sorry.