Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-19-2008, 04:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/198.2/150

Height: 5'5

Default Weight training without cardio?

I'm so frustrated. I've been nursing this ankle "injury" tarsal tunnel thing for over 4 months now. I've been cleared to do exercise by physical therapy. I started doing nautilus and the treadmill, since swimming was becoming boring and I don't feel like I'm getting a full workout. Anyway, even at a slow pace (on the treadmill) my ankle just doesn't feel right and I don't want to push it. I have no problems with any of the nautilus machines and I actually feel good afterwards. I want to get into weight training and I just ordered the new rules of lifting for women, but it hasn't gotten here yet.

So.....finally....my question is this....can I JUST do nautilus until I figure out the weight training thing...and THEN....JUST do the weight training without ANY cardio? Will I continue to lose weight? Should I stop doing nautilus when I start lifting weights?

I KNOW I'm clueless. Please have patience with me.

I am open for all suggestions. Thank you.

Last edited by missingmyerica; 02-19-2008 at 04:25 PM.
missingmyerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Absolutely do weights only!! For years I did weight training without cardio and I did lose some weight but I do lose more when cardio is included in the equation... so until you can do more cardio, it's great that you weight train only, imagine the muscles under the fat when you will be able to resume the cardio ....

Last edited by Ilene; 02-19-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:44 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm with Ilene. I've always favored weights over cardio. I love weights, cardio is not my friend
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:21 PM   #4  
the one on the left

S/C/G: 215/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

I find that I lose more when I combine cardio and weights (and I hate cardio too!!) -- but with an ankle injury, have you considered water aerobics? My friend and I tried some of those classes (because she also has an ankle injury), and you definitely get your heart rate up, but with absolutely no impact on your joints, and it really feels good, too!
alisluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:46 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

And how about an elliptical machine? Is it the impact of the step or the flexing of your ankle?
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:38 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
And how about an elliptical machine? Is it the impact of the step or the flexing of your ankle?
OMG...the elliptical is the worst, I couldn't even last a minute. I also tried the recumbent bike, and it hurts too. So frustrating!
Old 02-19-2008, 06:40 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisluv View Post
I find that I lose more when I combine cardio and weights (and I hate cardio too!!) -- but with an ankle injury, have you considered water aerobics? My friend and I tried some of those classes (because she also has an ankle injury), and you definitely get your heart rate up, but with absolutely no impact on your joints, and it really feels good, too!
I was doing deep water aerobics, but I just don't feel or see any results....plus it's getting really boring. I might just have to go back to it though, it looks like I'm not going to have much choice.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:58 PM   #8  
Recovering chocoholic

S/C/G: 180/160/130

Height: 5'10"

I have a couple ideas... (I come with the perspective of having malformed foot/ankle bone structure and fibromyalgia.)

I like your mention of the deep water aerobics. Have you tried swimming laps? I've found that when my ankles are super-sore, kicking can be painful, but I like to use those shaped foam blocks between my knees and just swim with my upper body at such times. After my ankles settle down, I can often resume "normal" swimming.

Also, one of my favorite cardio machines is the good old-fashioned rowing machine. Have you tried this at all? I think that if you brace your legs well and really try to pull mainly with your upper body, you may be able to make this work for you. I used to wear ankle braces as a kid; you might find these helpful.

Finally, I did weight training only for years, and it helped keep me in shape when cardio was too painful to do. So definitely keep on with the resistance! It induces your body to burn energy both during the workout and afterward, and can increase your metabolism as the training goes onward. Good luck.
Tessitura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:34 PM   #9  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I had a knee injury recently and my stepmom suggested I use this stuff called Blue-Emu Oil on my knee. I was very skeptical--I generally just don't believe in granola-type, homeopathic cures. Plus this stuff is weird looking (it's bright blue--clearly they've added coloring to it) and the thought of rubbing emu oil on my knee made me a little squeamish. But I was desperate about my knee problem, my stepmom swore up and down that this stuff would work, the exercises I was doing for my knee didn't seem to be helping, and my stepmom gave me a jar for free, so I decided to give it a try.

Wouldn't you know, it really seems to have worked. So much so that I went out and bought another jar when I used the first one up. I'm still skeptical that the emu oil does anything; they've added glucosamine to it and I think that is what is making the difference. And it is expensive--$20 for a jar at my local drugstore. But even so, since you are so frustrated and you've had the injury for 4 months, it might be worth a try.

On the swimming, have you tried swimming intervals? Swim one lap as fast as you can then swim a lap at a recovery pace. Not sure it will help much with the boredom but it might make for a better workout. I swim 4 sets of 4 intervals (4 sprints with 4 recovery laps) during my swim workout. Also, if flip turns don't hurt your ankle, that will increase the intensity of your workout.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 02-20-2008 at 10:38 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote