Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-19-2008, 07:00 AM   #1  
Goonies never say die!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Feeling ANGRY!

Someone really angered me first thing this morning. Ugh. I hate having to go through the day angry! I need to learn to let it go and realize it's this person's fault for being a big old weirdo. Anyway... i am tempted to now soothe my anger with chocolates or something horrible for me!

help!
DaisyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:16 AM   #2  
calories? what calories?

S/C/G: 245/176/110

Height: 5'2"

Take something low-cal! Something you really like, there's bound to be something! Or go to the store and get yourself a mixed nuts and honey bar! It tastes as good as chocolate, and has all kinds of good stuff in it!

Also put on a beautiful piece of music! Start singing! Think of a baby that you love! These things WILL change your mood, guaranteed. Download the song Inner Universe by Yoko Kanno. If that does not change your mood, you must be really really upset. In that case, try thinking of your tattoo!

Write how you managed!

Last edited by Aldebaran; 02-19-2008 at 07:17 AM.
Aldebaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:17 AM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Many of us are working on dealing with our emotions without eating through them. You feel angry. Are there any other outlets you've worked with before? Penning it out on paper? Breathing exercises? Reading or even watching TV to get your mind off of it for the time being? Anything to keep your hands busy & your mind off of chocolates.

Keep yourself occupied with something else. You may forget the anger for a little while, and be able to better deal with it later without chocolates & food. Food now will cause you to be angrier with yourself later on.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:05 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Many people learned to stuff themselves to stuff their emotions, including anger. It's using food as a medication.

The more you avoid eating as a "cure" for anger, sadness, pain, etc., the better you'll be able to find other ways to cope. The other posters have some good ideas. I would add: Drink some water. Go for a walk. Write an letter expressing your feelings, and then tear up and throw away the letter. Talk with a trusted friend (not one who will spread your news all over town).

The idea is to avoid looking to outside things to "fix" our feelings. Eating, shopping, drinking, and so on are bandaids that help us avoid real issues.

You'll simmer down as time goes on--don't add chocolate to the mix.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:37 AM   #5  
Goonies never say die!

Thanks for all of the uplifting suggestions! It's so frustrating when you KNOW the better alternatives, but that ONE horrible one is just staring at you in the face!

I did email a couple friends and do feel better after getting it all out. They were able to turn it into something funny and i am just laughing at the situation now.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:38 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

You mean your husband? Have you tried couples counseling if that's the case? I've learned a lot from reading books about personality types, how to deal with difficult people, counseling... learning how to NOT react as much as I used to, to how STUPID some people can be, including the one I was married to. Eat well (nutritious foods not junk) to regulate your blood sugar throughout the day, exercise, take "time outs" for meditation/quiet time, yoga... it's important to find something that works for you when you are stressed out so you are less reactive. For me it's quiet time and listening to uplifting music, reading or writing in my journal.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:52 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Can you exercise? It really, really helps me to work out anger, anxiety, etc to get some hardcore cardio in.

There are so many non-food alternatives to consider...why go for the one that will, ultimately, make you more unhappy with yourself?
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:02 PM   #8  
Live, Love, Laugh!

S/C/G: 263/255/150

Height: 5'4"

hi daisynicole,

just want to say that you should let that anger out -- and you have by writing about it and emailing friends -- WAY TO GO!

glad you're feeling better.

it's easier said than done, but remind yourself that you will not let anyone else have power over your feelings --

i mean, on top of feeling angry -- why heap any other injury on yourself? crazy right!

Great move on posting and emailing for support! So glad you took back your day, and enjoy it your way!

best,
b
bruniQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 212/206/142

I've found the best way to deal with anger is first realizing I can't control other people. The only thing I can control is my own reactions and how *I* deal with their behavior. Secondly, accepting that allowing it to fester and not let go is going to sabotage only yourself, helps change your mindset.

I also get my best housework done when I'm angry. lol
cdn carebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:27 PM   #10  

Kickboxing, great for ANGER.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:42 PM   #11  
Goonies never say die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsey View Post
You mean your husband? Have you tried couples counseling if that's the case? I've learned a lot from reading books about personality types, how to deal with difficult people, counseling... learning how to NOT react as much as I used to, to how STUPID some people can be, including the one I was married to. Eat well (nutritious foods not junk) to regulate your blood sugar throughout the day, exercise, take "time outs" for meditation/quiet time, yoga... it's important to find something that works for you when you are stressed out so you are less reactive. For me it's quiet time and listening to uplifting music, reading or writing in my journal.
nope. wasn't my husband. He doesn't make me angry like this.

It's actually someone i know from a different online community, nothing horrible. She just really made me mad this morning.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:58 PM   #12  

More the reason to ignore this person then! At least it's not your husband, or boyfriend, or someone really close - talk about stress, I was angry for years in a marriage. I have a new saying "no one will steal my joy" these days... it came from the preacher Joel Osteen. Not everyone wants to see us succeed, some will try to bring us down, some lash out because of their own problems - it's a crazy world. Lately there's very few people or events that can steal my peace of mind, I've learned some MINDFULNESS tricks, it's good to have a bag of them... things you can do to get yourself back to a state of peace. If you chew and chew on something it'll add stress to your body, cortisol that makes us FAT!