Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-18-2008, 11:53 PM   #1  
Im a work in progress!!

Default What do you do first?

When you wake up. Do you eat or exersize? Not exersize like taking a run, maybe just taking a walk with your dog for 30 min.
When I eat after I exersize I feel like I just wasted what I did. I dont know if thats just me!
CountryGirl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Eating after you exercise is great for your body though. It's optimal nutrient-absorption time and the food helps your body to recover from exercise. Also, your body processes the calories more efficiently if you eat shortly after exercising--your metabolism is moving faster than it otherwise would be and the new calories are being put to good use. I get up, drink coffee and then exercise, either cardio or weights, and then I eat breakfast. It's a happy time of morning for me, my body and my central nervous system.

Last edited by baffled111; 02-19-2008 at 12:22 AM.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:26 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Neither?

I get up, shower, dress, head to the office. On the way to the office, I grab my coffee (my daily splurge) and eat either baked oatmeal (my own recipe) or a 1/2 turkey sandwich or something like that.

I exercise at night after work, and then try to drink a serving of 2% milk on my way home (I stop at the convenience store and get a "chug" size). Dinner is usually around 8 or 8:30.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:31 AM   #4  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I do neither as well. First thing I've always ever done in the morning is run to the bathroom and pee. After that, I start thinking about coffee, then grabbing something to eat. In between, I turn on the computer, because I'm a complete geek. Wait, no, I turn on the computer on my way to the bathroom, actually.

As for exercise, I throw in it whenever I can. On summer days, when I'm naturally up at 5 am, I do it before breakfast. After that, I'm too hungry to think about wasting it or not, and I'll eat a buffalo if you put it on my way.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:39 AM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

When I was exercising regularly, I would exercise, then shower, then have breakfast. If I ate anything beforehand, I didn't have enough time to let it settle without feeling icky while exercising.

Don't feel like you're wasting your exercise by eating afterwards. I mean, you HAVE to eat eventually, right? So why not do it soon after your workout while your metabolism is all revved up and burning MORE calories--makes more sense than waiting till your body has slowed down and won't burn those calories as efficiently.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:02 AM   #6  

I walk, drink coffee, weight train and then eat.
kimmieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:11 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

I also pee then weigh myself then come on 3FC!!
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:25 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
When I was exercising regularly, I would exercise, then shower, then have breakfast. If I ate anything beforehand, I didn't have enough time to let it settle without feeling icky while exercising.
Yup, that's me on weekdays. I get up at 5:30 am to squeeze in my workout before work, then shower, then breakfast. Now, on weekends, there's more time to let the food settle, so I eat first and then exercise.

Last edited by jellydisney; 02-19-2008 at 06:25 AM.
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:58 AM   #9  
Goonies never say die!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2beautiful2Bfat View Post
I also pee then weigh myself then come on 3FC!!
That is also what i do!

I work out at night after work. I get off of work at 5:00 so at 4:30 i eat an energy bar (one without fake ingredients) like a Kashi or Luna bar. That gets me through my work out. I usually get home about 6:30, let the dog out, get on 3FC again for a few minutes then have dinner about 7:00 ish.
DaisyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:34 AM   #10  
calories? what calories?

S/C/G: 245/176/110

Height: 5'2"

Just to explain quickly from a biological standpoint, why eating after exercise is a very good thing to do: your muscles have, during the workout, burned up all of their sugar reserves, called glycogen. So whatever you eat after the workout will go directly into the muscles, to renew the reserves, and will not be dumped into the fat tissue. If you eat with your glycogen reserves already full, then you add to your fat reserves (that is if you're eating when not feeling hungry - if your blood sugar levels are normal).
Aldebaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:52 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 34% b.f./31.1%/25%

Height: 5'7"

I ideally like to eat some egg whites with salsa and go do the elliptical for 30 minutes. Then come home and have some lean protein, starchy carby like a yam, simple carb like grapefruit and go back in the afternoon and do 45 - 60 minutes of weights. But I do not have a regular job, so my hours are extremely flexible.
sharonrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:27 AM   #12  
Can't Never Did Nothin'

S/C/G: 212/166/140

Height: 5'6"

Yuck, exercise in the morning! I have two large cups of coffee before I can think of doing something so... active!

My morning routine consists of letting the dogs out, feeding my son, feeding my cats, feeding my dogs, then feeding myself. Oh, and getting my laptop fired up so I can check in my 3fc buddies during the second cup of coffee!

I really would love to walk the dogs in the morning but I never have the energy. Maybe if it gets warmer and I don't have to bundle up myself, my son, and (yes) the dogs, I will be more inclined to walk them.
Catmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:34 AM   #13  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

I don't exercise in the morning, but if I did - I would eat first. After going all night without food, I would hate to exert so much energy without some fuel.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:55 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Oh if only i had the time and energy to excersize in the mornings...don't i wish!!! I get up, pee, check my weight and then start getting ready for work. When i'm about ready, i go wake up the little ones to get them up and ready for school. I brew a pot of coffee and make myself a cup while heading out the door for work. I don't get to excersize until after work...at 6pm. So, i don't get to eat until around 8pm. But when i used to walk on my lunch break, i would walk first. I always heard it was best to excersize on an empty stomach because you were using up your fat reserves for the energy needed to excersize. And it ups your metabolism. So when you eat after you excersize, your food is being used to repair muscles or to replace nutrients needed in the body and not being stored as fat. I usually have a yogurt at about 4:30...and hour before i get off work so i do have some protein and nutrients to help get me thru my workout.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:41 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 164/138/120

I hit Snooze until I have a mere 15 minutes to shower, dress, and get to work. If I accidentally wake up before the 5th Snooze, I'll toast waffles and eat them as fast as I can, usually walking up the stairs And I'm still religiously 10 minutes late to work. If I know I ate something I shouldn't have the day before, I usally won't weight myself in the morning....Keeps me happier
ThePrettyOne is offline   Reply With Quote