South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #1  
jeep girl

S/C/G: 219/ticker/180

Height: 5'11

Default What do you do when you're sick?

I don't know about ya'll...but when I"m sick...I"m just freakin miserable!!! The weather has been absolutely beautiful this weekend (well except for over night and early this morning) and I"ve been stuck inside sick

To me this is the absolute hardest time to stick to the plan!!!

What do ya'll do to get around this?
mandyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #2  

I guess it depends on what I am sick with. To be honest, I rarely get sick since I started South Beach years ago. If it is a cold or an upset stomach then I tend to go with homemade chicken noodle soup. If it is my stomach, then I like dry wheat toast. But I'm in phase 2 so it might differ.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I drink lots of hot tea and usually have a comforting pot of soup simmering on the stove. Other than that, I like to curl up with my favorite quilt on the couch and just read and doze all day. But thank goodness, like Barb, I don't seem to get sick very often since I've been eating the South Beach way.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:00 AM   #4  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Mandy, hope you are feeling better soon. And yep that weather was so wonderful yesterday afternoon! I got outside and was able to work in the yard for a couple of hours after the weather cleared up. Didn't know there were tornados here till it came on the news last night!

I also have not been sick at all since starting SB 10 months ago. (I used to stay sick...now I'm wondering if I was allergic to white flour!) Not even one sinus infection here in the land of rotten sinuses! Amazing. But, I guess you can't go wrong with vegetable or chicken soup and maybe some whole grain toast? All depends on what "epizoodics" you happen to have.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:23 PM   #5  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Good question

I haven't been sick yet although I thought I was going to come down with something when I was away from home. I bought some multi vitamins with zinc and echinacea to have "just in case".

I have only been following SB for about 6 weeks and I had my first flu shot last fall in seven years so I am not sure why I haven't been sick.

Hope you are feeling better soon. It is hard to be sick when the weather is so nice, isn't it? It almost seems like it should be rainy or something.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:19 PM   #6  
Queen of Rationalization

S/C/G: 260/257/135

Height: 5'3

I actually like just drinking warm chicken broth...it comforting but it also gives the illusion of substance...
c_laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:23 PM   #7  

Height: 5' 7"

At least you are in a warm place! I am sick and in Wisconsin where it's going to be really, really cold and snowy. It's hard to eat with a cold so I drink water.
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:46 PM   #8  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I've noticed that I haven't gotten sick since starting SBD either. And my husband has been very sick for the last few weeks and I haven't gotten it. A hidden benefit to SBD?
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:34 AM   #9  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Mandy, I hope you feel better soon!

There used to be a free daily newsletter from Dr. Agatston that gave us tips on how to do SBD. It was called the "Daily Dish" and one of the issues gave information on what to do when you're sick. It took some doing, but I found the original post of that Daily Dish. Hope it helps!

There are a lot of SF cold medicines and cough drops out there now. If you can't find them, ask a pharmacist for help. With more and more people suffering from Diabetes, it seems that we're getting more options for sugar-free medication.

I try to be gentle with myself and stick to plan as much as possible. I know that eating healthy is much more likely to make me feel better than the "gone in a minute" pleasure I'd get from eating something off plan. If you're craving something, let us know and we can help you make an SBD-version, okay?

Last edited by beachgal; 03-06-2008 at 11:55 AM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote