South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-18-2008, 10:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/188/140

Height: 5 ft 6 1/2 in

Default Quickie brown rice ok?

Microwaveable or other quick cooking brown rice- are these ok to use? Sometimes I don't have 40 minutes to cook the regular brown rice so was just wondering....
Earthchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:35 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Sorry but the quickie versions are not allowed. I cook a pot of brown rice and freeze it in individual servings. Perhaps that could help.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #3  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Earthchild, though Ruth is totally right about the "instant" brown rice types of things, I think that the microwaveable pouches of brown rice by Uncle Ben's (see http://www.unclebens.com for info...my laptop at work doesn't have the newest Flash installed, so I can't get the direct link for you...sorry!) should be okay. They're the commercial version, IMHO, of making your own, freezing it, then reheating in the micro.

Things to consider:
  • The rice in the microwaveable pouches has added oil to keep the rice from sticking together. It's healthy oil, but it does add calories and fat to your daily totals. You might want to consider them as a good way to deal with busy days, but make your own when you can.
  • If you don't have time to monitor a pot of rice, but will be home, this way to make brown rice, courtesy of Alton Brown is SOOOOO easy and comes out perfect every time (amazing to me, who has burned every single pot of rice she's ever made...no exaggeration! )!!! Just use Smart Balance/Benecol or oil in place of the butter.

Last edited by beachgal; 02-18-2008 at 11:04 AM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

Beachgal is right! I just checked it out and the Long Grain and Wild Rice quickie does meet Phase II requirements.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:34 AM   #5  
I can do this!

Thanks for checking, Ruth! I get so annoyed with my laptop sometimes...the school won't let us download anything to the computers, but without a current version of Flash I can't see a lot of websites. I'm sure that's a major priority for our IT guys...making sure I can surf the web comfortably!
Old 02-18-2008, 01:10 PM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

For those days when I really just don't have time, I buy a box of frozen brown rice from Trader Joe's. It's already cooked and divided into 2-servings pouches. You just pop a pouch in the microwave (after cutting a small hole for the steam to escape) for I think 3 minutes. Voila! The only ingredient is brown rice--no added oil or anything. So, if you have a TJ's nearby, I highly recommend this!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:14 PM   #7  
I can do this!

Ohhh...I miss TJ's!!!!!!!!

That's a great tip, Jilly! Thanks!
Old 02-18-2008, 04:26 PM   #8  

Thanks everyone-I love the Uncle Ben's Wild and Brown and have used it occasionally, but usually just cook my own. I hadn't used the other quickie versions, but was just curious about them since a friend showed up at work with some the other day, but he's not on the Beach.The baked brown rice sounds interesting-I'll have to try that and for some reason never though about freezing my own single servings (doh!) I am really suprised at how I've really started to actually enjoy the brown rice more than the white! (That goes for regular oatmeal vs instant as well-especially with cinamon and walnuts-yum! Thanks so much everyone!!! Going to cook some now and freeze what's left!
Old 02-18-2008, 04:27 PM   #9  

Jilly I don't know if we have Trader Joe's Brands around here (Richmond, VA) but will be looking for that rice as well-thanks!
Old 02-18-2008, 04:38 PM   #10  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

Kathy,
Trader Joe's is a store. Not a brand...but they do have their own "brands" on many items in their stores. There is one "coming soon" to Richmond. It is listed as "Richmond, Short Pump, W. Broad St, Glen Allen". Currently there is one in Newport News...I don't know how close you are to NN, but you can get the address from Trader Joe's website.
Karla (Virginia girl also)

Last edited by SkinnyDogMom; 02-18-2008 at 04:38 PM.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:35 PM   #11  

I just checked their website. They now have two in New Mexico. They are getting closer to Texas! But we still aren't listed in the coming soon
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I love the TJ's frozen brown rice - VERY convenient for nights when I'm rushed and don't want to wait 45 minutes for brown rice to cook. BTW, a TJ is opening soon in Williamsburg, which will be even closer for you than the Newport News store (which is the one I frequent). The W'burg store is scheduled to open in spring of 08 (not sure the month) and Richmond should follow within a year. I think it would be worth the trip from Richmond once every 6 weeks or so - you can't beat the prices!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:49 AM   #13  
Determined to lose!

Beach: we may not have TJ's here ,but we have WEGMANS!!!!!!!!!! The ONLY place I'll shop! heheheeh.
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:22 AM   #14  
Come on Spring!

I love Wegman's - it's worth a trip across the Border. I've never been in a TJ - it's on my Life List! (Can you tell I'm a foodie?)
Old 02-19-2008, 10:32 AM   #15  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

Ruth,
Anytime you want to come and visit Washington DC, come on down, you can stay with us. AND to beat it all, I can hand deliver you to a Trader Joe's!!!
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote