South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-18-2008, 10:44 AM   #1  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb What have you learned about you and SBD?

I thought this might be a topic worth picking at since a lot of us have moved through Phase 1 and we are currently in Phase 2.

First of all, I learn a lot from the rest of you chicks. I copy and paste your comments often in a sub file for me to reference later if something comes up and I forget where I saw it here. You are part of my continuing efforts to lose all of this excess weight and regain my self-esteem and health in the process.

This is what I have learned so far about SBD and me:

1) It does work. In fact, when I follow it to the letter, I am amazed at how well it works. And, I feel a little sheepish admitting this but like Dr. A you do not need to exercise to make this plan work! And, I have allowed myself to work more on my food plan and less on my triceps, etc. these first new weeks while I figure out this food plan.

2) I am quickly finding out that the "secret" to weight lose on this food plan FOR ME is to avoid all sugar (or as much as I can extract from most foods--which surprisingly is A LOT!). This also includes: all processed foods like pizza and fast food, high glycemic index vegetables like corn, peas and carrots. And, it goes without saying sugar desserts (alright I thought I could have "just one" but it doesn't work that way for me at all. One leads to another....)

3) I can do without any carbs at my dinner meal and not miss it. And that is including the "usual" baked potatoe, pasta or rice!! In fact, I am not missing these carbs at all so I have decided to eat them rarely or not at all.

4)Which brings me to my "realization" about this plan. Just because something is listed on the allowed food plan doesn't mean we "have to" eat it. Why allow something to mess up our weight lose efforts just because we can have it. A perfect example is the nuts allowed. Well, I can't eat just 15. I love nuts. Always have but until I am at my goal weight they are just not going to be a part of my Phase 2 plan. I don't want something as good as those nuts to derail my efforts.

I hope you will share what you have learned thus far. I will be waiting and reading with anticipation. Your successes help me know what boundaries I can take and where I need to "not go there".

Thanks, SBeachers!!

Last edited by pamatga; 02-18-2008 at 10:48 AM. Reason: extra stuff
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:52 PM   #2  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

Great post Pam, I enjoyed reading your lessons.
I think for me, some of what you mention in # 3 & 4 is so true. What I like to call "hard" carbs--rice, pasta, bread, white potatoes--I can do without at dinner. I feel that I get plenty of good carbs from fruits, veggys and the occasional peice of toast or SBD cereal bar for b-fast or lunch.
Because of this, we have been using more veggys. We have become more and more creative with salad makings as well.
Like Pam, I can not stop eating nuts at just 15, so I avoid them. The only nut I found that I won't overeat is walnuts. Natural PB does not seem to be a problem, so that is allowed in my house. DH has to keep the pistachios at his work. I thought I could handle almonds, but after 2 or 3 days of only eating 15, I took the container to the couch and finished them...much more than 15. I have to be careful with seeds as well. Pumkin seeds don't tempt me, but sunflower seeds do. Seems CRAZY to me.
We have tried new recipes. I enjoy cooking when I can "create".
I have learned from the forums here what others menu's look like and this has helped me shape mine.
I have started exercising again.
I have more energy on SBD and with exercising.
I feel empowered to be able to stay on plan and in control of what goes into my mouth.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:54 PM   #3  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

I love this thread!

I learned that I used to eat a LOT of carbs.
I learned that I can live without them.
I learned that I can control what I eat.
I learned that I feel so much better without too many carbs.

And most importantly, I learned that I will accomplish my long term life goal of getting to a healthy weight and being a good example for my kids.
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I have learned that all the speculation for years that I might be hypoglycemic was probably right on. I had a tough P1 with crashes and dizzy spells but once my body got used to having a steady flow of slower digesting carbs I have felt much better than I ever have. I have more energy and I even sleep better. I no longer need mid-day coffee and I don't crash at 3 PM.

I have learned that while I will probably never be one of those people who likes to exercise I love the way my body responds to life when I do exercise and that drives me to do more.

It never was the pasta I loved - it was the sauce! And sauce with lots of veggies and no pasta really does it for me.

Losing weight does not make life perfect. The disks in my spine will still be herniated but having stronger muscles and less weight lets me tolerate it a little better.

Thinking about what I eat is not the same as obsessing about it

People will act like you have some sort of special knowledge when you lose weight; and they will be disappointed that the answer is diet and exercise!

Great thread - thanks!
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 218/212/160

Height: 5'8"

These are great! Off the top of my head, here are mine:

I have learned that I am clever and tricky. My family members often don't know they are eating "diet food", as they would call it.

I have learned that I can still drop pounds even if I slack off in the exercise department (like I did this past week).

I have learned so many wonderful new recipes, and I am learning to create my own. I truly love being in the kitchen.

I have learned that even though I am temporarily putting my clothes-shopping on hold due to my ongoing size change, I can still shop for shoes and get my "mall fix".

I have learned that I really enjoy reading books by Charlie Huston. Then again, this is completely unrelated to SBD, I just happened to have had the thought while ON the SBD. Moving on...

I have learned that I do better with diets when I am on a message board where I can receive encouragement and be held accountable.
only1naked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:39 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 155/141/138

Height: 5'7"

I have learned I have more willpower than I knew. As I never feel that the cravings go away and it is just a matter of knowing my will to not eat them is stronger that any craving could be! And if I have them it is planned and I know what I am choosing, not giving in to temptation.

I have learned tht diet and excercise go hand in hand when choosing a healthier lifestyle. I have tried both without the other, but combining them has been the real catalyst to change. If I slack on one for a few days/weeks the other will keep me on target, but keeping them together - I feel my best

I have learned that I like veggies and that we were not eating enough before - yes they take a little more planning, but I they taste good, I feel better, and I look better when I make them a central part of my diet.

I have learned that I get frustrated with others when they complain about their weight/body/health and yet I have not seen them eat a green veggie/whole fuit/whole grain in days. Really, you wonder why what you are doing is not working? Then I remember it took me a long time to get here and to have patience.

Ally
amasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:41 AM   #7  
Determined to lose!

I haven't read all the posts, but I did catch one saying that they are glad for this support forum, to be held accountable, I've been thinking about this. I am guilty of thinking the same thing! Yes, we need support and need to support others. However,....

If we can't be true to ourselves, hold ourselves accountable, nothing we try will work. WE can come here and say we've been behaving, working the program, working out, when in reality we sneak a chip here, a cupcake there... and tell ourselves (it's a little bit, it won't matter...)

It has dawned on me (ok, so I"m thick)... that we need to hold ourselves in check.. be true to self, and yes, even one chip can undo days or weeks of good behaviour (at least for me it can).

Read my sig... 5 C's.
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:34 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 218/212/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriann7 View Post
It has dawned on me (ok, so I"m thick)... that we need to hold ourselves in check.. be true to self, and yes, even one chip can undo days or weeks of good behaviour (at least for me it can).
Of course we do. That's what behavior change is all about - it comes from within. But it's so much easier when you have the support of others.
only1naked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:23 PM   #9  
Enjoying The Beach!!

S/C/G: 131.5/114

Height: 5'4"

I have only exercised minimally but have seen great results since my 9/11/07 start date. I am totally in control what I eat, and I love that! I avoid sugars and starches because I love the new me!
liamylime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #10  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Thanks Sbeachers, I am learning from you too

Again, thanks all of you for responding to this. I was doing a mental check up on myself since I have been following this food plan for about seven weeks. I hope you don't mind but I am going to copy and paste a lot of your thoughts and suggestions for future reference for me. I keep a SBD file on my pc and whenever I get stumped about something (and I do often), I reread what all of you have shared.

I want you to know that for every pound I've lost, all of you have had a hand (or at least a finger) in helping me do so.

I am so grateful I have found this web site and all you great people.

My hats off to you. Bless you all.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote