Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-17-2008, 09:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/198.2/150

Height: 5'5

Default When did you change you goal weight ticker? Or did you?

When I first started my new healthy way of life 4 months ago I set my goal weight at 150lbs. I knew my optimum weight should be lower than that, but I couldn't face seeing the number of pounds I REALLY had to lose. Well a few days ago, I changed my ticker to the goal I really want. I've already lost a good bit of weight, so the number wasn't as daunting as it would have been right from the beginning. I've learned so much from everyone on here, but the best thing I learned was to divide my weight loss into 10lb. attainable goals. Did anyone else have trouble facing the real amount of weight they needed to lose?
missingmyerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:21 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

It was not an issue of not being able to face the number, as much as not being sure what it would be. Having been overweight (obese) for the last 8 years, I wasn't sure what a 50+ post-menopausal me should/could set as a goal.

I set 140, which is in normal BMI range (barely). I figured it might be high, but this is new and uncharted territory. I changed my goal weight last weekend. I know my body well enough to know that I was not within 15 lbs. of where I want to be. Will I adjust it lower? Probably not until I am close to 135.

I am exercising more than I ever have in my life, and I am suspecting that will also affect the final number.

I really think that - for all of us - a goal weight is just a target. We may adjust it up or down as we approach it.

Last edited by CountingDown; 02-17-2008 at 09:22 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:37 PM   #3  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

I haven't adjusted mine...but may do so once I hit it. I pretty much just pulled 155 out of thin air. Lucky for me it falls within the normal range for my BMI...however, I do see myself going past it to about 145 after I hit my goal...just because in the long run...I see myself happier there.
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:47 PM   #4  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I set my target weight using the so-called range for my height. I've never been the correct weight for my height. I know I wasn't in my teens, and looking at pictures of myself younger I was always just a little more plump that I probably should have been. So I have no idea if the target I've set is reasonable or not. I suspect somewhere along the way I'll adjust it, but who knows.

It makes the loss a little daunting a times, but sometimes I think I need that to keep me on track.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

I like the idea I read in a diet book, instead of picking one goal number, have it range 4-5 lbs because everyone fluxuates. I changed mine the other day to do that. I had a weight I set and I knew I wanted to go under it. After I lose more then I'll set it to a lower "range" most likely...
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:17 PM   #6  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I also picked my target out of thin air, as I couldn't really imagine being as "thin" as 180. Well now that I'm close to it, I know it's not really where I will want to finish. Once I get there, though, I intend to enjoy it for a while and revel in the feeling of hitting my goal. Ultimately though, I know that I will change my goal to the high 160s. I really want my BMI to be in the healthy range and I really want to wear a single digit clothing size. Size 8 is fine - great - something I've never seen before.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I picked the lowest weight I've held as an adult and added a 5 lb cushion Now that the weight is still coming off easily I know I will adjust it down a little, into the so-called normal BMI range. I want to wait until I hit my first goal though

I have been overweight since I was 7 so it's hard to know what I can do and what I can hold. Someone else mentioned age and I also know that if I bring it a little lower at 46 it will be easier to keep it from going way out of control over the next 10 years. My bottom line though is I will not move the goal so far that I have to limit my intake more than I am or exercise more (I typically exercise 1 - 1.5 hours daily) because that kind of weight loss won't hold (I've done that before!).
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:03 AM   #8  
Goonies never say die!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

missingmyerica - you and i are really about the same stats right now. 5'5" and 193 looking to go to 135!

I picked 135 lbs because that is around my lowest i have been in my adult life. granted i am only 27, but i was 135 when i was 20/21. I felt great then. 135 is also an ideal in the normal BMI range for my height. I figure if i stick inbetween 135 to 140 then that is absolutely perfect for me. I'd really love to build a lot of muscle so a goal of 120 wouldn't suit me. I'd rather be on the higher side of normal with muscle mass and lower body fat.
DaisyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:13 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 34% b.f./31.1%/25%

Height: 5'7"

I changed my goal weight as soon as I learned it wasn't worth obsessing over.
I read, and read and read some more. Than I removed my weight and I was within 10 lbs of one of my set goals. I has my body fat tested. Oh my gosh it was 35%. I was still obese on the inside. I had gone through all that work for what. I realized I had to concentrate on my body fat to be really healthy. So I weigh myself about once a month. I get my body fat tested weekly and take my measurements weekly. I have something different to obsess about.
sharonrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:28 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I reached goal in December and am OK with my weight right now, but my figure show a restart weight after losing and regaining, I plan to change my ticker to show my highest weight of 206 . I want to see it in print exactly where I came from.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:03 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 225/213/150

Height: 5'6

I didn't want to start a whole new thread to ask this, so i figured this one would be a good place to do so. How do you get one of those weight loss tickers?
nutrition junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:06 AM   #12  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutrition junkie View Post
I didn't want to start a whole new thread to ask this, so i figured this one would be a good place to do so. How do you get one of those weight loss tickers?
http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/

but I think you have to be a member a little longer before you can get one.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 225/213/150

Height: 5'6

thanks!
nutrition junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:52 AM   #14  
Lola is Back!

S/C/G: 226/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4

yep... i think you have to be a member for 30 days and make 30 posts.
Lola125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:31 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I chose 130 because I have been there and look and feel ok at that weight. Also, 130 falls in the normal range for BMI. For many, many years I weighed 110, but I think that would be much too difficult to achieve and maintain at this point in my life. If I ever get to 130, I might think about 125, but no less.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote