Old 02-17-2008, 04:19 PM   #1  
Escape from my fat suit

S/C/G: 290/210/130

Default heart rate monitors

I was curious how many people use them when performing cardio? I am going in my recommended healthy heart zone(50-60% of maximum heart rate). It is too slow and it is trying my nerves... I am used to training at performing at aerobic zone 70-80% of maximum heart rate. I want results, yet the turtle crawl is hard to take. I am building a base then will get back to doing doing it with more intensity.

Does anyone have results based on the healthy heart zone?

Last edited by better health3; 02-17-2008 at 04:51 PM.
better health3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #2  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I use my HRM to tell me during a workout (cardio and weights) how many calories I've burned in that session--I like having that number! I also use it to tell me what my HR is during intervals, so I can move from VERY high to medium-low on and off. It's motivational. However, everything I've read and heard (from lifting pros to Jillian Michaels) is high intensity is best. Throw the "fat burning zone" out the window. Jillian feels that working at 70-80% of your max is the way to go, and many others feel intervals (at 75-85% max for 1 minute, then at a walking pace for 1 minute) are excellent for fat loss. That's what I'm sticking to, anyway. If you love high intensity, go for it, girl!

Last edited by Azure; 02-17-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:35 PM   #3  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I don't have a HRM yet, so I'm interested in getting more posts here. I'm into intervals as well and it's really hard to tell by the perceived exertion scale alone where I'm at. Some days it is hard to do the program I did 2-3 days before more easily - so my perceived exertion is at "I am probably going to die" on the high intervals on both days. (Maybe the difference is my nutrition on that day, or sleep the night before?) My trainer really wants me to get one, but I haven't looked into it too much yet. I'm interested to find out if the bands will fit around me. I wear a 42 bra.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:55 PM   #4  
BLUE team

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Height: 5'7''

Nori - Don't even worry about the band fitting, I guarantee it will. I have a polar monitor and the band that came with it is a medium. My medium is set fairly small but I just went and, without moving the buckle, stretched it around my entire back end, no problem. Even the medium will fit you easily, its very stretchy.
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:13 PM   #5  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

OK, I didn't realize they were stretchy! Thanks Jordan.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:06 PM   #6  

Height: 5' 8" on a good day

I don't use them.
I have had a very slow resting heart rate my entire life 42-50 BPM and it's not because I'm fit!

It's just the way God made me.

I use the "talk test" to tell where my heart needs to be. It's easy & free.
susiemartin is offline   Reply With Quote