Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-15-2008, 09:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Default So much for celebrating with "healthy" wine on a Friday night...

So much for celebrating with "healthy" wine. I've read in numerous books and articles that wine is "good for you." It's going to help us live longer, it's good for our heart, and people who drink a glass a day are healthier and thinner. Now that's not for over drinkers we are reading.

BUT one author said, just go buy yourself some 4 oz wine glasses and see what the recommended amount really is. If you use a "normal" sized wine glass 4 oz would be one tiny little amount at the bottom. So tonight I went to Ross and bought myself - and they were hard to fine - little 3.9 oz wine glasses. Little things from Italy the box said.

I came home, decided I should celebrate that I can drink a glass of wine - but only with meals according to the experts which include the You on a Diet dude who's a top seller these days. Now this wine glass looks like a shot glass. I'm learning that rather then gulfing down meals and drinks I'm to slow down and savor bites and drinks.

So here I am sipping my little glass of wine from what looks more like a shot glass then a wine glass. 4 oz. ain't much. Now I know one of the reasons I got FAT, one of my "normal" glasses was what, 16 oz of wine? How many calories would that be... I don't want to know.

I'm getting used to small little meal portions. I'm weighing my food. My life is a science experiment these days and yes I got on the scale and lost .5 lbs due to my hard efforts! So I'm thinking if I cut back my glass of wine to the recommended little Italian glasses I just might be lucky to lose another .5 lbs just from drinking less wine in the next month!
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:08 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

LOL - I have a 3.5 oz wine glass that I use. Wine is one of my "non-negotiable" items that I include in my diet regularly. I plan for it. And I enjoy it!. Having read Mindles Eating, I replaced my usual wine glass with my "new" one. I MIGHT even indulge in a second glass. However, now I fill my glass 2/3 full. So 3.5 *.66=2.31 oz of wine. 2 glasses = 4.62 oz of wine. I only drink very dry red wines - so my "indulgence" = ~100 cals.

Portion sizes really are a key!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:15 PM   #3  

Oh my gosh, you are kidding, you have it down to 2.31 oz of wine. I need to go read that Mindless Eating book. It appears that I was not only mindlessly eating I was mindlessly drinking an awful lot, what about a day's worth of calories last winter? I think I might just do this 2.31 100 cal's of wine - but to be even more obsessive, only with a meal, and according to Dr. YOu on a Diet dude, better at the end of a meal.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:21 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

From what I've read, wine has antioxidants in it. Wine is also a blood thinner so those that drink it may be 'healthier' but only really because less incidents of heart attacks because of less blood clots. You can get the same effect from taking aspirin (although I wouldn't recommend a blood thinner unless your doc says so).
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:23 PM   #5  

Well French Women Don't Get Fat and they drink red wine! Dr. You on a Diet dude says if you don't drink wine to have grape juice. Now I saw at Sams Club they had a drink that said "just as good if not better then wine" for antidetoxidants, which is what I believe I'm celebrating here tonight with my shot glass of wine, right?
Old 02-15-2008, 10:33 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Yes, here I am on a Friday night drinking my "fishbowl" glass of wine... THEY never told me it was 4oz...

All kidding aside... I started using a smaller glass of wine probably around 6oz and drink one and feel satisfied... I USED to drink a balloon glass of wine probably 10-12 oz and was happy... so I guess I'll stick with the smaller glass because I'm good with that... But I do find that wine every night makes it a LOT more difficult for ME to lose weight... It just makes me feel different and plays with my insulin levels or metabolism... Am I making sense .... It also makes my dieting resolve go down the drain....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:49 PM   #7  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Have you ever drank it straight from the bottle with DH?

Well, suffice it to say, my wine "globes" are gigantic. I need to get a more reasonable sized one, because I haven't had wine in months but am wanting some again.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:04 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
Have you ever drank it straight from the bottle with DH?

Well of course ... Back in the day, when we were dating ... 30 some years ago.... Man, I'm old!!!!!!

Pass the wine

Last edited by Ilene; 02-15-2008 at 11:04 PM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I feel your pain!! 4 oz... is nothing! Ugh.

Also, regular size shot glasses are just short of 2 oz (I just discovered this over the summer.. I had always counted them as one oz!)

Last edited by djs06; 02-15-2008 at 11:33 PM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:58 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs06 View Post
I feel your pain!! 4 oz... is nothing! Ugh.

Also, regular size shot glasses are just short of 2 oz (I just discovered this over the summer.. I had always counted them as one oz!)
A "true" shot is 1.5 ounces. However..... many shot glasses that are available for purchase nowadays are much closer to 2 which I think is stupid, because a shot is practically a unit of measurement. One (1.5 oz) shot is approximately 100 calories of just about any liquor (tequila, vodka, gin, rum).

4 ounces of wine (which I agree, is like one big gulp and it's gone) is only 80-90 calories. If you calorie count, it's actually not too bad. One or two nights a week, I will have 5-6 ounces and include it in my calorie plan for the day. 6 ounces of wine is much more satisfying than 4! It feels like a real glass of wine, as opposed to a thimbleful.

Resident alcoholic, signing off.

Last edited by jellydisney; 02-16-2008 at 07:59 AM.
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I have big pretty wine glasses, I just pour it about 1/3 full. I love red wine and love a glass every now and then I normally save my wine drinking to accompany dinner in a nice restaurant (which I try to do once a week).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:39 PM   #12  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
Well of course ... Back in the day, when we were dating ... 30 some years ago.... Man, I'm old!!!!!!

Pass the wine
I've done it too.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:09 PM   #13  

I like the idea of a "real" portion, maybe 6 oz a few times a week as a treat rather then sipping 3.9 oz. I don't really desire wine that much, just here and there anyways. I'll plan for it the day I drink it as you say. Maybe 200 cal's or so. For dinner and only with a meal. I can't believe I was drinking Fat Tire beer last winter as a mini hobby, imagine even a few of those. Now it's Micelob Ultra and I've had only two in months and month. I dont' think alcohol really agrees with me either, it's some sort of blood sugar thing.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:23 AM   #14  

Those little wine glasses also work for grapefruit juice, maybe it's just the enjoyment of holding a wine glass and sipping? I had grapefruit juice with my dinner last night.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:38 PM   #15  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I don't even know how big my wine glasses are. And I have no clue what 2 oz is - I am of European background, and while I mastered yards and inches (but I refuse to use fractions of an inch), I am totally clueless about ounces, pints and other silly measuring units. (For about 10 years, I refused to use measuring cups but I caved in about five years ago because it was seriously restricting the number of recipes I could use.

My wine glasses are quite small, and I usually pour myself only about half of a glass (or less). I get tipsy really easily so I drink in really small quantities.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote