Old 02-14-2008, 11:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/188/145 Started 1/3/08

Height: 5'4

Default What is this Soy Milk Obsession

O.K. Gang. This is wierd. I started heating unsweetened soy milk a few weeks ago and using it in my coffee with a splash of cream for the latte feel. Then it became more soy milk until I am only having about 1/4 a cup of coffee and the rest is soy with some splenda and vanilla. I now think about soy lattes all day and it is my favorite treat a couple of times a week at bedtime.

I'm not worried about the carbs (since the unsweetened soy milk only has about 1 net gram per eight ounces) but I'm curious as to why I am actually craving it. I mean seriously craving it.

Does anyone know why this might be? I have heard that soy milk is beneficial to post menopausal women but I am perimenopausal. I swear I could drink this stuff 10 times a day.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
SC
stayincalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:10 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

MMMMMMMM soy milk! I like it too, just like you make it but no artificial sweetener, I use stevia and erythritol instead.

Perhaps there's nutrients in it you need and so crave it? It does have a lot of calcium, protein, good fats too.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:06 AM   #3  
Not Monkeying Around

Height: 5' 7"

It could be something your body needs. I know when I was pregnant I craved orange juice and fresh grapefruit juice. I would drink a gallon a day. Just couldnt get enough of it. I found out later that citris is high in folic acid, a vitamin most recent ex-smokers are lacking in. (I stopped smoking when I found out I was pregnant. He is my sweet little surprise. hehe) And folic acid helps reduce the chance of spina bifida. I feel like my body was making sure baby was healthy.
Mamma Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:52 AM   #4  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

So, hang on - is Soy Milk allowed on Atkins? I hadn't taken that on board - if so, that definitely opens up my beverage opportunities! Awesome! ('cause here in Bangkok, Soy Milk is almost as widespread as normal milk!)

edited to add:

Fab! Just checked it out on Fitday - I see what you mean! Low carb, lots of fibre - great stuff! I'm off to buy skimmed milk today! Cheers, babe!

Last edited by broadabroad; 02-15-2008 at 12:55 AM.
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:51 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadabroad View Post
is Soy Milk allowed on Atkins?
This is a good question. To my knowledge, no...its not allowed on Atkins.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:19 AM   #6  

I guess the insatiable desire for the sugar free soy milk shall forever remain a mystery. I started using it about week 4 I guess because I was playing around with getting rid of real coffee and using decaf. It has been vvv helpful in the uh...elimination department for some reason. Always a plus on this WOL. I think it makes a better latte than the regulars from the outrageously expensive coffee places.

SC
Old 02-15-2008, 11:49 AM   #7  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

Hmmmm....soy milk?? never tried it...sounds delish though...and only 1 carb! SIC - No weight loss stalls when you drink soy milk?

I'm not a fan of milk period (actually hate it unless I'm eating fresh, hot baked chocolate chip cookies!), but I do use milk or half-n-half in my coffee...sooooo....I guess I'll put it on my grocery list for tomorrow's shopping. Thanks for the tip! Joyce
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:53 PM   #8  

I only used it a couple of times beginning at about week four and really started using more the past week and 1/2 (I'm now in week six). It is not on the induction list so I would not have used it then. I found it by making DH some of that sugar free jello cheescake pudding and using about 1 cup of unsweetened soy milk, 1/2 cup of cream and a couple heaping tablespoons of whipped Cream Chees in place of two cups of milk. I've only ever had a taste of that concoction but it is yummy, yummy, yummy (I also grate chocperfection bar over his little servings (I only let him have about 1/4 of a cup for his sweet tooth). I was almost out of cream one day for coffee and so I mixed some soy milk, vanilla, hazelnut sf syrup, nutmeg and cin with the little cream I had left. Then I boiled it on the stove and added it to the coffee. I kinda forgot all about it until the craving just hit hard. I'm looking through the fridge and my eyes just landed on that sf soy and I've been using a lot more. Very satisfying.

SC
Old 02-16-2008, 03:10 AM   #9  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
This is a good question. To my knowledge, no...its not allowed on Atkins.
See, I know it's not on the list of foodstuffs Dr A cites as okay - but the list is pretty USA-centric, isn't it? Looking at the nutritional content of Soy Milk, does it strike you that its absence from the list of approved foods is a conscious choice, or that it didn't cross his mind one way or the other? Because he includes tofu and soya flour in recipes in the book.
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:07 AM   #10  

I'm bewitched and bewildered Fay. Soy milk is soy bean extract mixed with water. I too noted the other soy products on the later lists so I decided to give the soy milk a whirl. I DID use some tofu also. I made some mock fried rice using grated cauliflower, chopped green onion, sesame oil, scrambled egg, sliced chicken (or pork if you like) and just a few slices of tofu that I cubed up small dashed with a very little soy sauce and fried up with the other stuff.

I can't see what the harm of the soy milk could be unless you find it stalls you. It just seems like a great way to enjoy a sweet, creamy beverage that has very very few carbs and a nice bit of fiber. It also would probably be helpful for people trying to break the excessive coffee habit.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:26 AM   #11  
banned

Hmmmm....that "mock fried rice" sounds delish! Was it good??? Did you get it from Linda's low carb recipes?? Would you suggest making it? On the soy milk tip...I think your both right...I think that Dr. Atkins couldn't have possibly got to include every food in the world (being a US based book) and the bottom line is we have to use our own common sense when following any diet. Go ahead....try it...if you find it stalls you...chuck it.
Joyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayincalm View Post
I'm bewitched and bewildered Fay. Soy milk is soy bean extract mixed with water. I too noted the other soy products on the later lists so I decided to give the soy milk a whirl. I DID use some tofu also. I made some mock fried rice using grated cauliflower, chopped green onion, sesame oil, scrambled egg, sliced chicken (or pork if you like) and just a few slices of tofu that I cubed up small dashed with a very little soy sauce and fried up with the other stuff.

I can't see what the harm of the soy milk could be unless you find it stalls you. It just seems like a great way to enjoy a sweet, creamy beverage that has very very few carbs and a nice bit of fiber. It also would probably be helpful for people trying to break the excessive coffee habit.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:35 AM   #12  

Bambi Love: I think I just made up the fried rice thing because didn't use a recipe but, I probably saw it somewhere while I was doing my endless recipe surfing and it stuck in my head. It was very good! I think it would not have been if I did not have sesame oil to fry it in. I fried the grated cauliflower for a bit before anything else went in. I also put some of the sesame oil in a bowl with just a little soy sauce and let the chopped tofu marinate in it while the initial cooking of the cauliflower took place. If you add enough meat and eggs I'm sure it can be a really nice meal packed with protien.

SC
Old 02-16-2008, 10:39 AM   #13  
banned

Yummmmm....when you get a chance...can you post the recipe for this...I would love to try it this week...I'll pick up some tofu (never really had that), but I already have everything else in the pantry sooooo.....fried rice it is for me! Thanks Joyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayincalm View Post
Bambi Love: I think I just made up the fried rice thing because didn't use a recipe but, I probably saw it somewhere while I was doing my endless recipe surfing and it stuck in my head. It was very good! I think it would not have been if I did not have sesame oil to fry it in. I fried the grated cauliflower for a bit before anything else went in. I also put some of the sesame oil in a bowl with just a little soy sauce and let the chopped tofu marinate in it while the initial cooking of the cauliflower took place. If you add enough meat and eggs I'm sure it can be a really nice meal packed with protien.

SC
Old 02-16-2008, 11:21 AM   #14  
low carbin' it

S/C/G: ~256/153.5/154

Height: 5'6

I don't really like soy milk.

I do drink unsweetened almond milk from almond breeze:

http://www.bluediamond.com/retail/breeze/index.cfm

Only one carb per cup. I drink one every day and it's so tasty.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:42 AM   #15  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

That's my favorite milk too! Oddly, it's a little salty tasting though.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote