South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-14-2008, 06:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/188/140

Height: 5 ft 6 1/2 in

Default Eeeekkk! Wendy's Chili is Phase 3?

I think I even had some during Phase 1 and felt sure it would be ok for Phase 2, but just read in a book it's Phase 3? Anyone know why? It's not a "sweet" chili, or one that could have flour to thicken it-tastes a lot like what I make with just ground turkey ( I know Wendy's chili is made with beef), beans, tomatoes, crushed tomatioes, green pepper , onion and spices. Anyone know why it's a Phase 3 food? I love it over their little $1 tossed salad! (My mini taco salad without the chips)
Earthchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Here's the nutrition info from the Wendy's website.
Ingredients: Ground Beef, Chili Base (tomatoes, salt, citric acid, calcium chloride), Chili Seasoning (maltodextrin, tomato powder, salt, modified corn starch, chili pepper, sugar, onion, spices, dextrose, garlic, soybean oil, xanthan gum, citric acid, autolyzed yeast extract, extracts of paprika, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, artificial flavors, silicon dioxide [anti-caking agent]), Kidney Beans (kidney beans, water, sugar, corn syrup, salt, natural flavorings, onion powder, calcium chloride, disodium EDTA [flavor protector]), Chili Beans (beans, water, sugar, corn syrup, salt, natural flavorings, onion, calcium chloride), Vegetable Mix (onions, celery, peppers).
Calories 220, Protein 17 grams, Sugars 6 grams

I don't eat it often, but have used it with salad as a "go to" meal if I'm traveling and need something fast. Was it the dining guide that classified it as Phase III? There are some sweeteners and additives, maybe that's why?
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:12 AM   #3  

yep- it was the dining guide.Thanks for the info! Not to bad actually according to the ingredients so will probably eat is just as I do now-occasionally over the salad as a quickie dinner= appreciate the help!
Old 02-15-2008, 11:24 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 155/141/138

Height: 5'7"

While it may not be perfectly on plan, it is a better choice than most/many other fast food choices. If fast food is on the menu, I do gravitate toward Wendy's for the meal you mention - chili and a salad!

Alice
amasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:04 PM   #5  

I use the Wendy's Chili crockpot recipe that I posted here a couple of years ago and make it often http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61342

It is similar to the one listed below.

Personally, if I am eating out fast food, I will get a Wendy's small chili and a side salad. That used to be the recommendation before they came out with the dining guide and it is even mentioned as an option in the dining guide if you don't want just a salad.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:07 PM   #6  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb My guess is that the ground beef is higher in fat.....

than what is allowed on SB especially Phase 1 and 2.

I worked at Wendy's in the mid-1970s and I have always gravitated towards that if I am having fast food for one reason: everything is made fresh that morning that day!! Granted they stopped their fresh salad bar about 5 years ago(which is a shame because there were specific workers who set up the salad bar every morning coming in around 6 am) and now have salads made up off location but I do know that when you have chicken breast sandwiches it is real chicken breast. No "mystery meat".

I have also helped make the chili at the restaurant that I worked at. They use the same hamburger that they use to cook the hamburgers with. My guess is that it is on Phase 3 because of the fat content in the meat. Back then there was no added sugar although there might have been in the kidney beans since that was canned. I didn't look at labels back then when I was a size 8. lol.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by pamatga; 02-15-2008 at 01:09 PM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:56 PM   #7  

thanks everyone!