Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-15-2008, 11:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 207/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Default How do you find a walking buddy?

I'm trying to find a walking buddy in my area. I don't know very many people here. Any suggestions?
cbuggin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Your childrens school, church ... anywhere you congregate with familiar people and talk. Just throw something out there like "Hasn't it been beautiful lately? I had a very nice walk this morning."

In the mean time ... my mp3 player is the best walking buddy ever!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

My dog is the best walking buddy I could ask for. And in taking him to parks close to my home I have met other people who walk and we will take them to an off-leash area, let the dogs wrestle and the humans and I will walk laps around the park area.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:37 PM   #4  

Height: 5'1"

It's wonderful to have a walking buddy. But, sometimes they quit and I know you won't want to. So go with the suggestions above, but remember, You're responsible for you. Some people listen to music to make the walk more enjoyable. get the audio books at the library and "read" while I'm walking.
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 213/127/154

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Our local adult night school sponsors a group of walkers. Also I think the YMCA does the same thing. They go out in groups for the scheduled class activity, but I hear they also meet on their own in groups, pairs, etc., of their own choosing on their own. Depending on where you live and you feel ok with this, you could put a notice up at your church, local coffee shop, Y, community center, local rec dept., etc. Poll all your friends and neighbors, maybe someone else is looking, too.

If you want company to walk with but you are on your own, if there are any walking paths in your area, try them - there is always someone around and having others exercise at the same time you are, even if you aren't walking with them, somehow adds a bit of camaraderie. Also try the tracks at local schools - I know a lot of people use our high school track year around. In either of these locations you may get to know the regulars and strike up a walking partner or 2.

But I agree with the earlier post - the main thing is, it's your exercise. Keep going even if others drop out. I like the music and recorded book ideas. Also, one thing I did was get a map of my township and then over a period of time I walked on every street. Kept me interested and I saw areas I didn't know existed. Having a goal of some sort also can provide incentive if you are doing it by yourself, or even with a buddy.
Pink Geranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:48 PM   #6  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

I don't know as I'd pick just ONE person to walk with, because as others said, they might quit, and you don't want that to be an excuse for you if you're having a hard time of it.

Try the mall, early mornings...generally a lot of walkers there, and I bet they are all regulars, so you could make friends there. Also, google "volksmarch" or "volkssport"...there may be walking clubs in your area that host group walks around your town/state...these are very popular where I live. I haven't tried it myself, but I've run into them on the trails, and they seem to be having a great time. If you hook up with a club, then you might find friends that way to walk with during the week.

Other ideas: join the Y or a gym. Get up early and have a look out your front door...there are likely walkers in your neighborhood that pass by every morning!

Okay, that's all I've got. Good luck, and enjoy your walks!

Cheryl
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 207/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for all of the great advice! I workout on my own, but I would like to get outside when it gets nice and I don't think it's very safe to go alone. We don't have any sidewalks or paths here and the mall is pretty far away. I do live down the street from a state park, but I'm not comfortable going to walk there alone. My husband won't like that either. I will ask some of the people I know and see what I come up with. Thanks!
cbuggin22 is offline   Reply With Quote