Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-13-2008, 12:15 PM   #1  

Default water?

One of the first suggestions that comes with dieting/losing weight is to "drink more water".

I understand that sometimes thirst can be disguised as hunger, but do YOU really notice you lose more when you keep your water intake up?
das schoenes leben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

I think it helps keep my hunger down. I've never tried losing weight without drinking a lot of water so I guess I wouldn't know. But if you are cutting calories and fat water helps keep your digestive system moving properly. So I think it is worth it all around to drink lots and lots of water.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I notice that i weigh more when i don't drink enough water. I don't notice that it makes me full except for about 5 minutes...then i have to pee and am hungry again. But i do notice when i drink enough water during the day, the next day i weigh less. If i don't drink enough during the day to flush out the sodium from the foods i eat, i weigh more. It's not a true weight gain or loss but i want to weigh as less as i can. So, yeah, i recommend drinking your 64 ounces of water a day as prescribed. It also helps your kidneys work better if you give them enough water to do their job.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:28 PM   #4  
Can't Never Did Nothin'

S/C/G: 212/166/140

Height: 5'6"

I definitely notice that I go up if I didn't drink enough water the day or two before a weigh-in. I think maybe my body is holding on tight to the little water I did drink, thinking it's not going to get enough. Or that's my theory, anyway.

Also, you can weigh yourself, immediately drink a glass of water and immediately weigh yourself again and see that water in the form of a small gain on the scale. The same isn't necessarily true of food (at least, the gain is not immediate).

So try not to drink your water immediately before your weigh-in, but do make sure you get at least 64 ounces in every single day, whether you exercise or not.
Catmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:40 PM   #5  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

I snack less when I drink enough water. My skin is also less dry and I have more energy.

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

I eat a lot less when I drink water with my meals. I, too, notice that I actually weigh less the next morning when I've been drinking my proper amount of water.

It definitely helps me out, and it's one of the easiest things for me to do since I enjoy drinking it.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Yes. I don't think the weight would have come off as easily for me if I hadn't drank a lot of water.

I will tell you that I had to relearn what hunger feels like. What I thought was my body saying it was hungry was actually thirst. So drinking water helped me to listen to my body better.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:10 PM   #8  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Welp... You guys have motivated me to give the water drinking thing another try... I have found in the past, that I spend so much time/effort trying to get down 64 oz. of water that I don't think to eat when I shouldn't be!!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

das schoenes leben, are you from Germany? I love the Geolsteiner sparkling mineral water. You know what they do in Germany? The mix sparkling water with a bit of juice, my boy thinks it's "pop" as I don't let him drink soda. When I get tired of plain old water I drink Gerolsteiner that I get at the health store or Perrier. I feel better with lots of water, I read once if you are tired drink water first as a lot of us are dehydrated. How about water when you wake up. Water as a mid morning stack. With lunch. Mid afternoon. Dinner. And before, during and after workouts. I'm starting to keep water with me all the time. At my desk I keep a filled up 64 oz water bottle. It's just a habit to get into it seems, drinking and drinking water. When you do you don't crave junky drinks anymore either.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:26 PM   #10  

Has anyone read that drinking COLD water is best for the metabolism because the body has to work harder? I read that somewhere but then in the Weight Loss Cure book that crazy author says it's the opposite, to not drink it cold. I also keep thinking I'll buy some "minerals" to throw in bottled water, I think they are found at health stores, like calcium etc as bottle water has some of the minerals filtered out, including floride that we need for out teeth....
Old 02-13-2008, 02:41 PM   #11  

nope, i'm not in germany anymore. i wish they sold the same quality flavored sugar free syrups that i've found while living in austria or germany. they make drinking water so much easier!
das schoenes leben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:08 PM   #12  
Made of Starstuff

Horsey, I hadn't heard that. I'm not really sure it makes a difference what temp the water is as long as one is drinking enough of it.

I just drink water cold or mostly cold, because it's more refreshing. Cool, refreshing tap water
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:23 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

I believe the body has to work a little bit harder to deal with cold water--just to bring it up to body temp. But the metabolic difference is minuscule. Drink water however you like it.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:30 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 167/157/125

Height: 5'3"

I find it really hard to drink water, i mean i know that i have to so i do but ahhh i hate it
mommy2two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:54 PM   #15  

das schoenes leben, maybe instead of flavored syrup you can throw those Crystal light packets into your water? I think they are more creative in German with their water, makes it easier. I just remember their big fizzy waters at meals in the middle of the table and how they ask with or without "bubbles" when you ordered at restaurants. But water is catching on more in the US, not the bubbly stuff though as much as Europe, especially Germany and France.