South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-06-2008, 11:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 232/224/165

Height: 5'4"

Default Any Catholic's out there- if so...

How are you handling your SBD during days of fasting? Obvioulsy you arent going to be getting in your calories for the day with only having one meal and no snacks -- plus no meats (which that part is easy) but the purpose of the fasting is to be hungry - so just wondering how you are going to do it and how this could negatively effect the SBD on those days?
Cajun Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #2  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Wish I could help you! but I abstain from some stuff but I can't fast I get too woozy. Thanks for reminding me!! I have to get veggie burgers for friday
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:01 PM   #3  

What my priest suggested last year was to make all your eating add up to one normal meal. So I eat a small breakfast and small lunch and then plan to have a bowl of shrimp tortilla soup for dinner (hold the tortillas). I can't fast without feeling bad so I handle it that way.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 232/224/165

Height: 5'4"

well thanks everyone.. thats kinda what my plan was... I can go without eating but I know its just not good when doing this diet.
Cajun Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:05 PM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Count me in!

I just eat small snacks during the day and have one actual meal. That's how it's outlined in our church bulletin. I used to celebrate Rosh Hashanah, and that's fasting with nothing that crosses your lips all day (including water) and it was really hard on the body. Even in that faith (Judaism), there are exceptions for fasting for children, the elderly, and the sick. I'd assume there are similar situations for Catholics? I'd count us in among the "sick" (no disrespect implied) and say that if we do as Barb suggested, we're still following the intention of fasting. I'm in RCIA even though I've been going to our church for about 4 or 5 years, but there's still a lot I need to learn!

I guess there are still churches who require one meal and no snacks, but our church goes out of its way to explain to the parishoners that the rules are different now. I found this info on http://catholicism.about.com/od/cath...p/Fasting.htm:

Quote:
Regarding Fasting:
The Church used to prescribe very rigorous rules for the Lenten fast (including abstaining from all meat and eating only one meal per day). The current rules, however, are much more lax. Catholics are only required to fast on Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent, and on Good Friday, the day that Jesus Christ was crucified. Anyone over the age of 18, but under the age of 60, should eat only one full meal on those days, although they can also have small amounts of food in the morning and the evening.
(italics are mine). That's what our church says. It seems to fit better into the SBD plan. My $0.02, I guess.

Last edited by beachgal; 02-07-2008 at 04:06 PM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #6  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile One normal meals and two smaller ones

I am Catholic and here is what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast:

2 slice whole wheat toast w SBD marg
2 soft boiled eggs
10 oz. unsw orange juice
10 oz. skim milk

Lunch:

leek soup
3 saltines
crabmeat cold salad w onion, celery and mayo
1 medium banana

Supper:

boiled white fish
leek soup
3 saltines
1 c green beans
1 small baked potatoe w SBD marg

Beachgal has it correctly. Our priest told us last year what we should and shouldn't eat on the two days during Lent, Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. The current standard is to eat three meals: one is a normal meal and the other two should equal one normal meal. The fasting part today means nothing inbetween your meals. It also means that you should not have any thing like a dessert since that is pleasurable. I'm doing this plan with no sugar anyway. I was hungry yesterday and last night it was more difficult but I did not feel like overeating this morning. Actually, just the opposite. I should have more vegetables but I was trying to keep my meal portions small and balanced. Not perfect but it worked. I would normally not have the carb at my evening meal but I was trying to keep from my blood sugar from dropping too low.

The other aspect that helps for me is that you are not only fasting but you are praying. I went to Mass in the morning and spent another 1 hour in Perpetual Adoration saying a Rosary. My Mom was in a second surgery that the doctors did not expect her to survive. She did. All of the waiting, praying and fasting was indeed worth it to hear such great news. No amount of food can cover that.

Last edited by pamatga; 02-07-2008 at 04:46 PM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #7  

pamatga - I'll pray for your mom. I'm glad to hear she survived.

Laurie - Brian did RCIA a couple of years ago. Actually they called it RCIC when it is for the kids (3rd grade and up). I'm a cradle Catholic but due to a divorce, I can't celebrate the sacraments. I'm still bringing Brian up as a Catholic. It's where I feel most at home. He is still young enough that he doesn't have to fast or abstain but I do make sure that the meals he eats at home are meatless during the Friday's of Lent. We're going to the church Fish "Fry" tomorrow but they do have grilled catfish as well as fried. The sides are not on plan but I think one meal won't hurt.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:39 PM   #8  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

I am not Catholic...I am a non-denominational Christian. I do believe in prayer with fasting at times. One way that I read in a book...was to do a liquid fast. This meant veggy and fruit juices. I know that on SBD fruit juices would be a no-no, but possibly if you made your own, or stayed very aware of limiting calories and sugars for the day then it might help. The juices kept the body from becoming too low sugar, but kept your mind and body aware of no solid foods. This was only recommended for 1-2 days at a time. I have no reference...I will try to find the book tomorrow and post the title. I think it was a Christian author. I have done this, and it worked quite well. Whenever I felt that my blood sugar was falling, I would have a small juice. I alternated veggy and fruit juice to keep the fruit juice total volume for the day low.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:04 AM   #9  
I can do this!

Pamatga, I'm SO glad your mom is doing well. I think the power of prayer is highly underrated. I'll keep your mom in my prayers--what's her first name?

Barb. I didn't realize you were Catholic, hon. I know that must have made the divorce even harder. You were divorced before you married Brian's dad, right? If this were your first divorce, you could still celebrate the sacraments, I believe. One of our parishoners was divorced from her first husband and abstained from taking the Eucharist because she thought she wasn't allowed. I thought that was SO sad! Our priest told her that she only has to abstain if she is with someone or marries again without an annulment. Just being divorced isn't an issue because without an annulment, the Church sees you as still married even though you've divorced civilly.

Denying anyone the Eucharist is one of the few Catholic traditions/beliefs that I just don't agree with. I understand the reason, but I also think that it's a great sin to ban anyone from the Lord's table. I'm glad you still feel at home in the Church, though. It's wonderful that you're continuing to raise Brian in the faith...I'm sure the continuity of that is very comforting to him.

Last edited by beachgal; 02-13-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:12 PM   #10  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgal View Post
Denying anyone the Eucharist is one of the few Catholic traditions/beliefs that I just don't agree with. I understand the reason, but I also think that it's a great sin to ban anyone from the Lord's table. I'm glad you still feel at home in the Church, though. It's wonderful that you're continuing to raise Brian in the faith...I'm sure the continuity of that is very comforting to him.
Amen to that.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:40 PM   #11  

Yes, Laurie, my last marriage was a Catholic one. It was a rebound marriage and I knew I made a mistake but still did it. I thought about trying for an annulment when Brian was going through RCIA but things were rough with Brian's dad and I didn't want to get an annulment to marry him in the church and then have it not work out. I wonder if that means I CAN receive the sacraments again now that I am not living with anyone. Heck, there was nothing going on with Robert for over a year so it was almost like we weren't married.

I miss the Eucharist but I think I miss confession more.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:24 PM   #12  
I can do this!

Wow...Barb, are you really unable to go to confession, too? I think you really should talk with someone about it--there may be more options available to you than you know.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:17 PM   #13  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

Barb,
This idea may not be at all something you are interested in, but, have you considered trying another church that has similarities to Catholicism and would allow you to receive the sacraments? The first one that comes to my mind it the Episcopal church. I am not an episcopalian, but my DH is Episcopal and very orthodox in his beliefs...he was raised in the Catholic church. He does not always agree with the liberalness of the current Episcopal church.
Just thought maybe you might be able to find a middle ground that meets your spiritual needs.
Karla
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:26 PM   #14  

I did try the Episcopal church for awhile when I was pregnant with Brian but they were not conservative enough for Robert. We argued about it for so long that we never got him baptised in either church. When he was in third grade and his friends had been getting their sacraments in the Catholic church, he wanted to go so we joined.

Right now I want to stay Catholic because Brian enjoys Faith Formation on Sunday and church. We have a wonderful priest. Eventually I might talk to him but right now I just have too much going on. Brian needs the stability of staying in the church that he has grown accustomed to.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:58 PM   #15  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Barb you need to find out today's "rules"

Although the Catholic church likes to think it never changes it actually does quite often. I have gone through the annulment process both as a non-Catholic and as a Catholic and it really more paper work than anything. Also, I was afraid too that I wouldn't be able to have the Eucharist but my priest said that is an individual thing and not a blanket "rule"(I hate using that word but I can't think of a better or different one). Yes, the Catholic Church is also beginning to realize that "one size/whatever doesn't fit all!".

I converted thirteen years ago and it gives me what I need spiritually. I came with quite a mess in terms of what I had to have done to "get things right with my marriage/remarriage/divorce" situation but the annulments are nothing to fear or be concerned about. There will be some questions they will ask but mostly they just want to know the 'state of your soul". As for confession, I came into the Church at an age where I had lead "quite the life" so trust me if God can forgive me, He can forgive anyone!! Think of an annulment as absolution. I truly felt that once my "mistakes" were annuled I was set free. I really truly mean that. Yes, a child was involved but she was NOT annuled, the marriage was.

I think whomever you speak with will be touched by your love of the church and wanting to have that continuity. They definitely like willing participants. Willing is the key word. One thing the Catholic Church loves is people who WANT to be there! I believe the church feels angels in heaven are singing when we are happy to be there!

Good luck and God bless with keeping that continuity in your family's life. With the way the world is today, we all need stability and security, I feel.

My Mom's name is Peggy. She is alive in spite of some really horrible obstacles that have come across her path. It is a testimony to her doctors, nurses, her strong will to live and of course her Creator.

Thank you all for such love.

Last edited by pamatga; 02-19-2008 at 03:24 PM. Reason: I need to proofread before I hit save!
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote