Old 02-11-2008, 10:16 AM   #1  
~One Day At A Time~

S/C/G: 301.2/Ticker/250

Height: 5 6"

Cool Scale Issue!

First off..Good Morning To You All!

I weighed myself for the first time last Monday, and I weighed 301.2. I didn't want Mondays to be my weigh in date so I said that I would weigh in on sunday, a day early. So I did. I weighed in yesterday, and I weighed 296.2. I think I did it like 3 times and it was still the same, 296.2. Well just for the heck of it I weighed myself this morning (I couldn't help myself!) in the same exact spot as yesterday, and it said 292.6. I was just waking up, and thought it said 296.6. So here I am thinking that I gained .4 lb. A few minutes later I realized that I said 292.6. So I jumped back on the scale in the same exact spot and it said 294.8. I weighed about 4 or 5 times. A few times it said 294.8, and then it said 292.6. So I stuck with that number. Is this possible or do I need a new scale?? By the way I just bought this scale too. Its the biggest loser scale. I got it at walmart, it came with the biggest loser cardio DVD.It's also digital. What should I do??
ThisTimeIsDifferent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 389/359/150

Height: 5'1

I also just bought a scale from Walmart this week and it is doing the same exact thing. Mine is a digital but it isn't the Biggest Loser one. I weigh about four times each morning trying to figure out what my true number is. I wonder if we should take our scales back.
tjunetracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:38 AM   #3  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I had a digital scale like that, where I would get several different readings getting on and off the scale. So I bought a new one - it's a Health-O-Meter and I got it at either Target or Bed/Bath & Beyond. It's a great scale and solid when I get on and off a few times. I even tested it by moving to different areas of the floor and weighing. Got the same result each time.

You need to have a good scale, it's hard enough to battle the weight without even getting an accurate measurement of your progress.
You could also just weigh in every couple of weeks, or once a month on this particular scale. That way the moves will be larger and maybe more accurate.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

My scale had me down to 267.6 one morning. I knew it was a fluke and I stepped back on it and it was 284.4. Most times it does read accurate. I know if I've moved my scale I will weigh 2x and it is usually the same #.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #5  
Meowsah

S/C/G: 317/239.4/150

Height: 5'6"

I too have a healthometer scale. I got it on sale at Walmart like six months back. It weighs me the same now matter how or where I'm standing. I'm happy with it.
Noelani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 258/254/180

Height: 5'5"

I have a digital one at home and my husband and I use it all the time with no problem. When I get home I will let you know the name. I bought it at bed bath and beyond.

My question to you is are you using it on carpet? Sound crazy but that will give false readings. My friend had that problem and when you move it to solid ground she noticed she started getting true readings. Just a thought.
Danielle.
dlm30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #7  
~One Day At A Time~

No I don't use it on carpet. I use it in my kitchen floor. Its lenolium. When i weigh myself its always in the same exact spot. Well, I'm just going to have to buy another one. I didnt keep my reciept so i don't know if they will let me exchange it. I knew I shouldn't have bought that one but it came with the cardio DVD so I wanted it. It's really frustrating because I don't know what my real weight is.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I've got a Tanita scale which has been great. Very accurate. It was really expensive but I knew I didn't want to deal with getting different readings all the time and not knowing my accurate weight. The whole process is frustrating enough without throwing the added problem of a faulty scale on top of it.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:28 PM   #9  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

I got a ww digital scale at walmart for like 60 bucks!!! And it does exactly what you describe thistime. I'm so not willing to spend more $$. If a number comes up 3 times I stick with it.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #10  
On my way to FIT

S/C/G: 285/298/130

Height: 5'1"

I bought that exact same scale and I have the same difficulty with it! I hop on and off four or five times until I get the same reading at least twice in a row. I'm thinking now maybe I should scrap it and buy a different one. *Sigh*

A couple weeks ago I posted a question about peoples' rituals when they weigh in and it surprised me how many people do the hop-on-and-off thing (and I assume they have all different kinds of scales). Also it was hilarious... lol here's the link: Are you naked when you do it?

Last edited by Eileen2bLean; 02-11-2008 at 02:50 PM.
Eileen2bLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #11  

Height: 5' 8" on a good day

I don't trust digital scales.
I have a Health-O-Meter scale too that I use on a bare floor once a week

It would discourage me to get too many different readings.
susiemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:04 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

I have a Taylor I purchased mine at Wal-mart 3.5 years ago. I haven't changed the batteries and it weights me about 2 lbs more than the doctors office scale.
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #13  
~One Day At A Time~

I saw the Dial Health O meter one. I was going to get it to. I'll probably go tomorrow and get it. Your right It's hard enough to lose weight as it is, I don't want to have to worry if i'm getting the correct weight or not. Thanks Guys!
Old 02-11-2008, 07:09 PM   #14  
McLovin' *TBL Red Team*

Me too. I bought that SAME scale but at Target for the cardio dvd. It did the same exact thing to me and my bf. He gained 1lb just moving it to another tile on my bathroom floor. I returned it and bought a Tanita at Bed Bath & Beyond. They always send me coupons for 20% off and ended up getting it cheaper than the biggest loser one. It works great by the way! It is very frustrating when your scale doesn't work. I am not sure if my starting weight was even accurate. Oh well...at least now I know it is.
xGurlyGrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #15  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I think I'd see if you could return it. I am in LOVE with my scale! I bought the Tanita Large Capacity scale. http://www.scalesgalore.com/pbath.htm#hd351
It's a little pricey at $85.00 (it was $75.00 when I bought it), but it is hands down the very best scale I have ever owned. It stores the reading of your last weigh in and shows it. It will store readings for up to five people. I never get a different reading, at all. For me it was also important that it accurately weigh over 300 lbs. It has a 440 capacity.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote