Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-08-2008, 10:52 AM   #1  
navywife022506

S/C/G: 238/228/130

Height: 5'5"

Default I hate the scale

Well, I weighed myself this morning. I knew that I didn't do too well this week. I didn't stray off my diet, but I didn't work out this week either because I have been so sick. I was for sure that the scale would still read 228. I was wrong, I weighed in at 231 this week. That means that I gained 3 pounds. I am hoping that it's just because I weighed fully dressed, but still, my clothes don't weigh 3 pounds.

Well, I am now working out every night again. I may not be able to go to the gym because my husband is deployed, but I can do work out videos here at home.

I am going to do it this week. I KNOW I can!!!
navywife022506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:24 AM   #2  
Changing My Lifestyle

S/C/G: 230/180/140

Height: 5'4"

Navy...Don't get discouraged!

There are so many factors that can affect the scale. TOM may be coming...retaining water...different weigh in time...clothes! You may be amazed at the weight of the clothes we wear. My fiance weighed himself the other day with his jacket and stuff on and he was 5lbs heavier than with just jeans and a t-shirt on. That's amazing, but it's what the scale said.

The other thing too is do you measure yourself? Many times measurements are a better indication of how you're doing than the scale. I'm neurotic and need to weigh myself every morning, but I don't get stressed out if I'm up a couple lbs (especially if I've been OP and working out) because chances are a day or two later it'll be back down...and then some.

Hope you're feeling better and I love videos that you can do at home. I have the Beach Body Ballet and I'm excited to get started with it.

Cheers,
Tamara
tleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #3  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

Yes, don't worry about the scales daily ups and downs. Look at the trends. Since scales weigh everything, you may be retaining some water, have some food in you stomach, wear particularly heavy shoes, anything!

When I wake up I'm always around 2 pounds heavier than I am after I go number 1 and number 2, and work out. After lunch, I'm 6 pounds heavier! It's not like my body is losing and gaining fat like crazy, just water. And that's normal.
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

I agree. I always weigh myself at the same time, right before the shower, after I walk the dog and chug some water. It's a better indication. Of course, one day I was down to 216, the next 213, the next 215. But I've been at 215 for a few days... My best suggestion is to be sure you weigh yourself at the same time every time you do (preferably in undies only or nothing).
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Aw. Don't let the scale get you down. See this great thread about why scales fluctuate!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115826

Last edited by Heather; 02-08-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #6  
No description available.

I am very strict about my daily weigh-ins. First thing in the morning, unclothed, after peeing. No exceptions. If I've had water or breakfast or showered already, forget it. I'll weigh the next day.

I also refuse to step on any scale other than my own. Last year I stepped on the scale at my office, and it was six pounds different from what my home scale said. Clothes, shoes, breakfast, water, pee, poop.....all of those can alter what a scale shows, and some scales are way way off.

Consistency with weigh-ins is essential for me. I can be mature and abstract and know that there is a perfectly rational explanation for a scale showing a different number.....but I don't want to be mature. I want it to be consistent.

My suggestion is that you control as many variables as you can to prevent scale angst as much as possible.

Last edited by midwife; 02-08-2008 at 12:45 PM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:43 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'm with midwife...if I've eaten, if I'm not in my birthday suit...I don't weigh. Too depressing.

Read the sticky about why scales fluctuate...because they do! NEVER let the scale define how you feel about yourself on a particular day...it is only one measure of progress, and a highly imperfect one at that.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:08 PM   #8  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

You'd be surprised how much your clothes weigh. Depending on what I'm wearing (heavy sweater vs. t-shirt, jeans vs. shorts), mine easily add 1-2 lbs to my weight (I'm completely serious--I've weighed with and without clothes and sometimes there is a 2 lb difference). Very early on in my diet I made it a rule to never never ever weigh with clothes on (except when it can't be avoided, like at the doctor's office) because the results were always discouraging.

Also, since you've been sick, you could easily be retaining water, especially if you've been taking over-the-counter cold medicines. I'm convinced that Ibuprofen makes me retain water. And since you've been off your regular exercise plan, you haven't been sweating out the water you normally do when you exercise. Plus the change in routine on top of being sick probably has your body all screwed up; which also can result in water retention. A few days back to you regular schedule once you are healthy and I'm sure you'll see your weight drop again.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Like many others have said there are so many factors to consider, I for one use to weight myself several times a day just to "see" I could gain 5 lbs by the end of the day. I'd weigh myself the next morning and depending on the time it could be gone. I also weight myself in cloths and in the buff. So now if I see that scale move up or stay put I don't mind if I know I'm being good.
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:15 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Um, my pajamas weigh 3 lbs. Granted that's a big sweatshirt and terry cloth yoga pants, but still...

I too am one who weighs in the morning, naked, after going to the loo. Like everyone has said, too many other factors can effect your weight throughout the day.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:24 PM   #11  

I get too caught up on what the scale says. So many factors go into it like if your dressed. Did you gain any muscle and what not. I am not weighing at all. When I feel comfortable and when I get rid of my cottage cheese I will know I succeeded.
Determined in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:29 PM   #12  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Navywife, I stepped on the scale last week one day : 241.5. Next day : 242. Next day : 246.5. Huh?! Four days later I was back to 242. Weird things happen. One day is frustrating, but don't worry over it, and definitely don't let it eat at you (or let it make you eat over it :P ).

Mesmerize, I dig your ticker! I hope you don't mind if I steal that idea...
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:15 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

I've been sick too, wasn't exercising much half the week, took over the counter meds and my weight fluxuated day to day. It was depressing after a lot of hard work to get the scale down. But I KNOW that I'm going good, because the belly blob isn't hanging over my pants! I think the fit of clothes say a lot, the scales can be maddening. I know if I stick with my plan - and not worry day to day about the scale I'll lose more. I forgot the progress I made the last six months - ok it wasn't huge as I wasn't in "serious" weight loss mode much of it, just eating moderately and some exercise - and I lost 13 lbs, the last 5 without trying too hard most the time. I believe that REALLY losing weight takes exercise and weight training both, to really rev up that metabolism so burn more calories. So up with the exercise....
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote