Old 02-09-2008, 08:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 207/200.2/115

Height: 5'6"

Default What plan to choose.....

I have really been lurking around on this forum. I "want" to loose 75lbs. I am currently 206 and I am 5.6. I have been doing slim fast for about 2 months. I have cheated a little but saw recent pictures of my self and I can't beleive I let my self get that big. What are my best options. I have looked into medifast and nutrisystem. They seem spendy and I just do not have money to justafy those diets. Help
carlskl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I Calorie count, it is flexible , non restrictive and best of all it is free. I plan all meals ahead of time, staying within my calorie count. This doesn't take much time. You can do it online or use the trusty pen and tablet method. There are many other diet programs. the one that you should do is the one you will do.It is OK to experiment until you find what works best for you.If you exercise along with your diet plan you will lose faster. Again it is up to you.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 207/200.2/115

I have really been watching what I eat and also trying to not have anything after 7 except a piece of fruit for a bedtime snack. I am trying to get in shape before I see my family this summer. Last time I saw my grandma and the first thing she said was "boy, you have sure put on some weight". I just turned 30 and I was already feeling bad about the weight before she made the comment.

carlskl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:07 PM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Another vote for calorie counting here. I also try to stay away from overly processed foods, eat lots of veggies, and eat 6 small meals each day.
I use Fitday (PC version) for keeping track. But, as bargoo said - any recording method works, as long as you do it every day.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:21 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

I am also a fan of calorie counting. It offers the most flexibility at the lowest cost (free). But with flexibility comes responsibility which means being honest with yourself, portion control (measuring your food) and consistently logging what you eat.

WW would be a close second. It is basically the same idea. They count points instead of calories. Not sure why they think that is easier but it is the technically the same concept.

The Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem etc type of plans are basically calorie counting but they are structured and of course more expensive.

As for not eating after 7pm - that is basically an old rule. I often don't even have dinner until after 8pm and dessert closer to 10pm. What is important is that you spread your calories evenly througout the day and it is more important to start your day with breakfast but there is no official rule about when you should stop eating. Generally if you are not hungry in the morning this is a sign that you are eating too much late at night.

Best of Luck

Last edited by lorilove; 02-10-2008 at 09:21 AM. Reason: grammer
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:33 AM   #6  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

I'm an "anti" counter - so no calorie or carb or fat gram counting for me.

While I *am* fat again... I love the Weight Watchers program and the only thing I have to count are points. Once you learn how many points something has it's easy to keep on the plan. AND it's flexible. AND it's up to you what you eat. There are no restrictions.

I lost 62lbs and maintained for 3 years. I gained the weight back when my life took a downslide and *I* didn't work the plan anymore.

Good luck, whatever you decide Maybe you could look into fitday to help you with planning and give you a calorie level where you should be each day if you don't want to spend money on other plans.
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Renee, welcome back and good luck. I have had to start over, several times, the good thing is, if it worked once , it can work again.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:26 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Will it sound like the calorie counters are ganging up on you if I add my vote for that too?

Calorie counting and walking ... both fit my budget very well.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 242.5/233/135

Hi! Calorie counting is the only thing that has worked for me in the past but always gain it right back. Trying MRC this time!!
gottagetfit is offline   Reply With Quote