Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-09-2008, 09:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 193/192/140

Height: 5'3

Question Gorganzola Cheese

Help, does anyone out there eat gorganzola cheese. I love it but i am sure its not that good for you. I know i need to curb it but I am not sure how. Anyone have some ideas or know anything about the cheese?
mommyagain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

Height: 5'6"

I have eaten it on occasion. Most of the time in a salad. Like all cheeses - it is fine in moderation. 1oz of Gorganzola has 100 calories.

What specificlly do you want to know about it?

Lori
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 193/192/140

I just wanted to know if anyone knew how bad it was. I have to try to limit it a bit more if its that high in calories.
mommyagain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

You can just assume that anything that tastes as good as Gorgonzola has many, many calories. I love cheese more than just about any thing else, but it has to become an occasional treat and be consumed in small amounts.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

I love gorgonzola! I found a blue cheese(not gorgonzola!) that has only 50 calories per 1 ounce. It is made by Treasure Cove and it is excellent....taste the same as full fat to me!
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

The nice thing about a cheese like gorgonzola (or blue cheese or feta) is that is has a really strong taste. You can use a small amount and still get a lot of flavor.

With any tasty, high calorie food, a food scale or measuring cup/spoon is going to be your best bet. Figure out the calories for a serving size, measure your portion and figure it into your calories for the day. After all this time, I still measure: rice, pasta, cereal, nuts, cheese and salad dressing.

With cheese, you can find lower fat versions pretty easily (for example, I love trader joe's fat free feta which tastes really good to me!).

If you can keep the things you love in moderation, you will be much happier, more satisfied and better able to stick to your plan!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Azmom, thanks for mentioning the Treasure cove. I will look for it. My store carries their full fat version, so maybe they have the other, too.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote