South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-07-2008, 11:58 PM   #1  
SBD: Phase 1

Cool Phase 1: Too much Sodium?

I started Phase 1 on Weds and even though I am doing SBD I am still tracking my calories to make sure I am eating enough/too much

Anyway I have entered nutrition info for 3 days and end up high/over sodium recommendations. I mean it makes logical sense I guess cut back on fat and sugar - you need to get flavor somewhere I guess.

Anyone else have this problem? Could you let me know what you are eating if you aren't having this problem?

Thanks
chigirl1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:43 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I definitely have this problem most days. The solution is to eat more whole foods instead of processed foods. I find myself with things like lunch meat, turkey hotdogs, turkey sausage, lean bacon, cheese, etc., all of which are quite high in sodium. Even some things I don't eat often but I know many others do on SB, like cottage cheese, salsa, tomato sauce, etc. can be high in sodium if you buy them prepared instead of making them yourself.

Maybe if you post what you eat frequently, we can offer some lower-sodium alternatives I know personally, I try to get rid of sodium when I can by doing things like rinsing anything I can that's canned (like any canned beans or veggies), and by closely reading labels for things like frozen veggies and meats to make sure there's no salt added.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #3  
SBD: Phase 1

Jill basically you nailed it - I mean I eat whole foods, non processed...but stuff like lunch meat, cottage cheese, lowfat cheese, soups are just loaded in sodium

Everything I buy is either no salt added or low sodium(if available). Like I was buying Garbanzo beans at regular grocery(Bush's brand) and there is 500 mg of sodium in a serving. When I was at Whole Foods last night I found their store brand offered a no salt version, so I picked that up.

So I am just going to try to be the best possible to keep it down and figure well it is only 2 weeks, so drink a little extra water to dilute it
chigirl1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:07 PM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chigirl1216 View Post
So I am just going to try to be the best possible to keep it down and figure well it is only 2 weeks, so drink a little extra water to dilute it
oh, I hear ya there! I'm up to 4 liters of water just while I'm at work during the day--I fear the girl at the front desk who sees me going to the bathroom all the time is going to think I have some sort of problem
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I don't worry too much about sodium. I add a little in cooking, but don't eat too much prepared stuff, and hardly ever salt at the table. I have no idea how much I'm getting in a day, but I think unless there is a health issue, it's not something to worry about.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote