Old 02-09-2008, 01:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 318/300/190

Height: 5'11

Default Starting today, and have a quick question.

So, after reading the book and tons of forum posts, I decided that I wanted to give Atkins a try. I went grocery shopping yesterday and bought some sausage. This morning when I went to cook it, I scanned the ingredients and realized that corn syrup is the second ingredient. Should I just throw it away, or would it be ok to eat moderately? It has one carb, per 3 sausage links. Thanks for the help!
JourneytoMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Oh don'tcha just hate that !!! Same with deli meats, you really have to be careful what you pick up.

I would say eat them and count the carbs...

It really takes a lot of reading in the stores and talking to folks as to whats the best brands to buy but after a while it becomes a breeze.

GOOD LUCK !! and

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:45 PM   #3  

Ok! Thanks for the reply! ...being on a student budget, makes me cringe at the thought of not being able to use it!
Old 02-09-2008, 02:48 PM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I agree with Leenie, eat them but, be sure to count the carbs.

You've really got to read labels....things you would never dream would have sugar in them can end up surprising you!

You've come to a great place for advice, support & encouragement!

You CAN do this!!

All the best to you!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 203/157/125

Height: 5'4"

Yes, eat the sausage this time, but try not to buy them again. I don't know if you have a Trader Joe's in your area but they have a great chicken breakfast link. They are really good.

I truly empathize. I started reading all labels. I've even got my kids reading labels. Remember, the first weeks you are trying to stay as far away from sugars as possible. Use only Splenda and no sugar-free [SF] snacks made with sugar alcohols. You want you body and palate to get used to not having sweet foods. If I use more than 1/3 of a packet of Splenda in my decaf coffee it just taste aweful and diet sodas are just sooo sweet. When I went in for a pre-baked Costco chicken recently with my co-workers, I could even taste the sweetness in the marinade.
sylvia78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:52 PM   #6  

Thanks for all the info and the welcome!

Everytime I'm in the kitchen cooking, I'll just pull something out of the pantry and read it's label to see how much sugar and carbs it has, lol. I've apparently lost 3lbs in one day? I know that's probably not all fat, maybe water weight, too. What exactly is water weight, and why do we lose it at the beginning of a new diet?

I think I'm pretty much sold on Atkins... :-)