Old 02-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/174/155

Default sell me on a Veggi burger!

I have NEVER eaten one,. but i am really craving a juicy burger, but on express no red meat yet...
the sound of it is starting to gross me out, but i really thinking i should go buy one. i am truly not a big veggie eater, so this will be a big switch. Does the veggie burger count towards vegs or only protein?
wish2bthin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:50 PM   #2  
WonderWoman

Height: 5'5 and a half!

veggie burgers count as protein.
i love the amy's brands and the morningstar farms brands. the boca brands are ok too..but not my fave.
my newest fave is the amy's chicago style burger. if you're looking for "real" burger go with morningstar farms. they are yummy.
i'm a vegetarian, so those are what i use once in a while for a burger fix.
hope that helps.
JLem311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

1st of all Jillian -you look SOOOO skinny in your pic!

wish - good for you for posting here and trying to find an alternative! Mad props!

Let me know how it goes, as I am not a lover of vegtables either. I did a turkey burger once and hated it. Would love to find a good burger alternative!
ChefsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/210/150

Height: 5'7''

i like the morning star veggie burger , 110 cal vs 500 plus
boca burger have only 70 calories but is not eally my fav.
michellenew
michellenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 194.6/194.6/163

Height: 5.5

Amy's is very good! And it's coming from a vegetarian, I know my veggie burgers!

I must say though that the best veggie burger I had in my life was from Lick's (a chain diner in Canada, I am not sure if present in the U.S.). It was to-die-for!!!
apple76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

I like turkey burgers. Although I have tried ones that I didn't like so much at restaurants. I've bought the frozen preformed patties, and it is already measured out in the 6 oz that my protein amount for turkey is, and so it is easy and quick and if you grill it or barbeque it, they taste quite good.

I bought some really great veggie burgers at Costco. I'm not sure what the brand was, but they were fantastic. I had one for dinner just last night!
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:17 PM   #7  
Time to get back on track

S/C/G: 295/295/150

Height: 5'8

turkey burgers are so yummy! you really can't notice the difference at all. i thoroughly enjoy them and i feel like i'm cheating, but it's not! ground turkey is 100% allowed!

i also LOVE veggie burgers! the mistake i made was getting boca once... it's not terrible, but they aren't nearly as delicious as the veggie ones. you should definitely go for either... good luck!

Barb- i love your avatar!
michie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:20 PM   #8  
Katie

Height: 5'1

I like black bean veggie burgers. Not sure of the brand, but they are awesome heated and crumbled over lettuce to make a taco salad.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:36 PM   #9  
that girl

S/C/G: 167/see ticker/115

Height: 5'3

Morningstar makes the most delicious black bean burger!!!!!!! I steam spinach in a ziploc steam bag with garlic and onion and put it on top and it is AWESOME!
Lisa0513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #10  
Starting over after baby!

S/C/G: 285/See Ticker/200

Height: 5'7''

I make a grilled cheese sandwich..

I use I cant believe its not butter spray for the bread, then I spread one wedge of the lite laughing cow cheese (1/2 D) on both halves of the bread, Then I microwave the veggie burger until it is not frozen, then put it between the two slices of bread and cook it like I would cook a grilled cheese sandwich, just brown both sides of the bread! Its extra yummy!!
bradleys mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:46 PM   #11  
Gold(+1/2P)

S/C/G: 190/135/130

Height: 5'2"

I am a vegetarian also.....my fave is the Morningstar chicken parmesan ranch....it is about 20 calories more than the regular veggie burgers, but it is worth it, toss it over a salad it is extremely tasty....another fave is Morningstar's Tomato Basil Pizza burger.

Jillian....do you use meat substitutes(sausage, beef, etc.) by smart life at all? I am wondering how to count them on plan....I basically stick to beans, tofu, etc....but I would like to change it up a bit....Thanks for any input!
roserph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:28 PM   #12  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa0513 View Post
Morningstar makes the most delicious black bean burger!!!!!!! I steam spinach in a ziploc steam bag with garlic and onion and put it on top and it is AWESOME!
Lisa,

That sounds awesome. I wanted to share something with you that I learned recently about the microwave ziplock bags. ***WARNING*** I am getting on my soapbox! I went to a wellness conference in Jackson Hole, WY in Sept. One of the classes that I took was on toxins. The Dr speaking at the workshop said that one of the worse ways that Americans are filling their bodies with chemicals is by injesting plastics. He said that anytime you mircrowave plastic wrap or bags, the plastic leaches into your food and you eat it. The more these toxins build up in our bodies, we get start getting sick. Anything from allergies, rashes, and asthma, to even worse, cancers. I had a bunch of those bags in my cupboard and came straight home and tossed them. Okay, stepping off of the box now!
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:57 PM   #13  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 216/208/140

Height: 5'8"

The very first veggie burger I tried, I LOVED. Even sold some of my co-worker LAWL buddies on it. it's a Veggie Patch garlic Portabella. Tasted like a grilled burger to me! They weren't frozen, but in the produce section. Got mine at Wal-mart. I also recommend the veggie crumbles (frozen). Same price as 1lb of hamburger. Used it in a casserole and you would never know the difference.

This is from a red meat fanatic...
whatazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:51 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/170/155

Height: 5' 8"

Try lean turkey with some A1 sauce mixed in. Seriously good stuff. I eat them with lettuce, tomato and bbq sauce, no bun.
Tuesday Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:02 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 192/174/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple76 View Post
Amy's is very good! And it's coming from a vegetarian, I know my veggie burgers!

I must say though that the best veggie burger I had in my life was from Lick's (a chain diner in Canada, I am not sure if present in the U.S.). It was to-die-for!!!
Thats awesome, Coinsidentally Licks Beef burgers are my favorite, lol so i bought the licks nature burger(frozen section) tonight at the grocery store. so hope it is the same. however, when i read the box it says it is a Soy burger. Is this differnent or is that how all veggie burgers are made? Told DH that is our dinner tomorrow i will post the outcome!

Last edited by wish2bthin2; 02-08-2008 at 11:04 PM.
wish2bthin2 is offline   Reply With Quote