Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-07-2008, 09:15 PM   #1  

Default ? Leg extension and leg curls

Hi
I just recently signed up for a 12 week program, which includes 4 personal trainer sessions.
I've been to the gym before, and I have done spin and weight classes, but I have never worked as hard as I have, then with a personal trainer.

One thing that I never heard about was when I use the leg extension machine or leg curler I should do 10 regular counts, and then for 5 counts I should bring my toes together and for 5 counts bring my heels to together. Has anybody heard about doing this? Is it safe to do it this way?

Another thing, I thought that my lower body strength was pretty good, but now when I do the leg curls or leg extensions, after the first 10 to 15 counts , I feel a strong burn in my legs, these past few times it has only been in my shins. Is this extreme burn the lactic acid build up, and should subside as the weeks go by? I find that I need to take a breath or 2 before I continue to do any more leg curls or extensions.

thanks
toned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

The pointing of the toes in or out is supposed to hit different part os the quadricep muscle. I don't know how effective it is but I have heard of doing this before.

The burning generally does get better as your body adapts to your new routine - but I like the burn!!!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

As Lifeguard said, the changing position of the feet is designed to hit the muscles from different angles.

As for the burn, I'm not totally sure here. The 10 rep range sounds a bit low for lactic acid buildup, especially from an experienced spinner whose leg muscles should have adapted to becoming more efficient in the way it handles lactic acid. I'm also concerned that you are feeling this "burn" in your shins. I'm concerned that the machines are overstressing the joint. Discuss this with your trainer. Perhaps, the machines settings need to be readjusted or because of your personal biomechanics these machines are not a good fit for you. The location of the pain seems odd to me.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:41 AM   #4  
Working My Way Back Down

My physical therapist is dead set against these two machines, claiming that they torque your knee joint badly. He is not against extensions and curls done other ways, just that the machine puts undo stress on on your knees.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote