South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-08-2008, 06:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 302/229/140

Height: 5'11"

Default Frustrating weight fluctuations

I figure this has to be water. I did a few more weights than once a week to try to solve the puzzle. This happens on every diet I've been on. My weight fluctuates wildly sometimes 10 lbs difference day to day. I have no idea what my actual weight is. I am 5 ft 11 in today I weighed 260 yesterday 253 and the day before 255 last week it ranged from 255 to 260. I'm doing phase 2 I've not cheated My measurement of hip and waist show an inch reduction in waist and about a half inch on the hip. THis is why I've given up in the past. okay diet log and this is typical

breakfast 2 soft boiled eggs

lunch 4oz of meat usually lean 2 cups stir fry I use a light oil 1 tsp. The veggies are non starchy usually something like kale broccoli, snap beans maybe califlower and swiss chard THere is an odd carrot one of the baby kind in the broccoli mix but not more than 1/4 cup and usually much less

snack pear or apple

supper salad with a can of salmon and a vinagrette dressing usually. I add a tomatoe maybe some green beans and pepper green onions. dsg is usually 2 tbsp.

last snack non fat yogert 1cup 1/2 cup all bran and a hand full of berries usually cran berries. no sugar or sweetner.

I have black tea in the morning usually 2 cups and non caffinated herbal tea after. Big decrease from my 3 pot of coffee a day habit.

CAlories tally to 1200 sometimes to 1400

I'm not loosing on this whats going on any guesses?
Spiritmagejkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Spiritmagejkt!
How long have you been following SBD? Did you start with Phase 1, or just go straight to Phase 2? Your menu looks pretty good to me, and if that's what your menu looks like every day, I'm not sure why you're not losing. Do you use a lot of salt for seasoning? If so, sodium may be making you retain water. Canned salmon has a lot of sodium in it, too. Try adding some beans to your diet, and perhaps increasing your caloric intake. Could be that you're not getting enough calories each day. The good news is that you are losing inches, so you know something is happening. Make sure to be drinking plenty of water, too, to help flush the fat away. Good Luck!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:24 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

How much water are you drinking? At your height you probably need alot. I aim for 3 litres a day. I think that is 128 ozs or soemthing. I avoid black tea because it makes me retain water.

The other possibility is your scale is broken?

Also are you weighing yourself at the same time daily? I know I usually weigh in between 7-7:30 but one day I weighed in at 6:30 and I was up a lb when i weighed in again 30 min later it was gone!!
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

That's just over two weeks, maybe it is near TOM? My weight also varies a lot in a day, up to 8 lbs. As long as the overall trend is down, you are losing. Maybe you should try weighing once a week, or even once a month. That way you'll only see the overall downward trend not the crazy daily fluctuations.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:22 AM   #5  

I did the equivalent of phase one over the past month and transitioned to phase 2 over the past two weeks. I am doing this a little differently in that I'm tightly controlling portions. I'm also trying to avoid dairy and grain as much as possible and still stay somewhat balanced. Those two things are triggers for me and there maybe allergy issues with my husband. I've been working on this about 6 weeks at this point.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:24 AM   #6  

close to 4 litres a day. Thats about a gallon. I drink more when I walk longer distances when we do hiking. My usual exercise is 2 30 minute sessions of yoga (flow ashtanga) and I walk if its not too icy.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:28 AM   #7  

[QUOTE=cottagebythesea;2044250] Spiritmagejkt!
How long have you been following SBD? Did you start with Phase 1, or just go straight to Phase 2? Your menu looks pretty good to me, and if that's what your menu looks like every day, I'm not sure why you're not losing. Do you use a lot of salt for seasoning? If so, sodium may be making you retain water. Canned salmon has a lot of sodium in it, too. Try adding some beans to your diet, and perhaps increasing your caloric intake. Could be that you're not getting enough calories each day. The good news is that you are losing inches, so you know something is happening. Make sure to be drinking plenty of water, too, to help flush the fat away.

Beans don't agree with me I like them but eating grain and beans and some dairy causes bad heartburn to the point of vomiting and gas distress. I replace it with fruits and vegetables. My calorie intake according to fitday runs bout 1200 and I feel fine on it I'm not hungry. We only shop twice a month and we don't eat at restaurants, so thats pretty typical. I eat fresh fish too in fair quantity. .... Its Nova Scotia after all.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:25 AM   #8  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

My thoughts would be to stay away from the stupid scale for a while. Maybe even a few weeks. Just ignore the thing and go by how you feel and how your clothes are fitting. I have hit so many ups and downs and plateus over the last 10 months...but have continually lost. My scale may not show it, but my clothes do. According to my stupid scale, I have not lost an ounce since the beginning of January. According to my clothes, I've lost a size since then. A pair of size 8 pants is now too big for me. Scales lie, but clothes don't!
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote