Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-07-2008, 03:31 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 8"

Default Is it OK to exercise if I'm coming down with something?

I'm only 4 weeks into my exercise program but am really happy with it. I started with 30 minutes of body weight exercises 3 days a week (Mon, Wed & Fri) and about a week and a half ago I added in a 50 minute "dancercize" video workout for the alternate days then rest on Sunday. I had to miss yesterday to visit a DF in the hospital so I would hate to miss another day but I feel like today and think I might be coming down with something - you know, that achy all over want to crawl into bed but too tired to leave work and make the drive home feeling? I don't know for sure if it's a bug or just the stress of having my friend so ill but I'm sitting here feeling like I'm about to nod off at my desk.

I don't think I would have the energy for the dance video but was thinking I could do the 30 minutes that I missed yesterday even if I can't put as much effort as usual into it. Would I actually be getting any benefit out of it? I'm sure if it's just stress the exercise would probably actually help but if it's a bug would I be better off taking a rest?
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:12 PM   #2  
keep on truckin'

S/C/G: 253/249/190

Height: 6'1

I don't know about working out when you are sick. I do know that if you are having a headache, then you are not suppossed to work out because it can aggravate it.

I would suggest just taking a few days off if you feel sick.
At the most maybe just do long good stretches, a some sit ups and push ups.
I probably wouldn't do cardio.
vdaybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #3  

It sounds like you are coming down with something. I'm personally sick and I haven't done a thing but drink fluids and take my vitamins. I think taking a couple days of rest would be ok. Better to rest and take care of your illness then muscle through and make it worse. But I'm inexperienced and I'd check and see what everyone else says.
SeekingBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

I'm just getting over something and the frist 2 days I did nothing but yesterday I did some cardio and today I did major cardio and my crunches (135) I actually feel better. I think it helped. I also worked otu the first day when i thought i was coming down with soemthing and I felt good after.
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 219/211/160

Height: 5"5

I laughed a little when I read your thread question. My first thought (sarcastically) "Nooooo...don't exercise you poor thing. Rest....take it easy...thats a great EXCUSE!" lol that's cuz that's what I always tell myself when I'm feeling sick. You (we) probably should take it easy, but I know for me, it makes it REALLY hard to get back into the swing of things. (I sure hope I don't get sick anytime soon!) Take care of yourself and make a promise to yourself to get back on track right away. We'll be here for you!!
reneeks5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:25 PM   #6  
Steps on this journey...

Height: 5'3

I looked this up last time I wasn't feeling well. The consensus seemed to be that if symptoms were "above the neck" (runny nose, sinuses, sneezing), exercise is OK. If "below the neck" (cough, wheezy, nausea, diarrhea, etc.) then no exercise. When I've had the "above the neck" symptoms and exercised, I think it has made me feel better faster. I think exercise makes me breathe harder and cleans out sinuses/lungs. But that is very unscientific. Hope you feel better no matter what you do.
TheBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:00 AM   #7  

Height: 5' 8"

Default Thanks Guys

Hiya and thanks for the advice. I like the "above or below the neck" thinking. I ended up putting myself through a light 30 minutes doing mostly stretchy stuff and not so heavy on the exertion and it seemed to help all that achiness - not so bad today. Maybe not the most benificial for the strength or cardio but at least I'm making sure I'm not letting myself slip out of the habit.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #8  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Exercise gives your immune system a boost, so if you are up to it, I definitely think a light workout is a good idea when you feel like you are coming down with something. I've definitely had episodes where I feel like continuing with my exercise program helped me to stave off a cold. But "if you feel up to it" is the key phrase. If you are really miserable, achey, and just have no energy at all, then I think rest is the best medicine.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote