South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-06-2008, 10:04 AM   #1  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default sugar free/no sugar added condiments

I'm definitely missing some condiments in my life. I'm having a VERY hard time finding salad dressings I like (I don't care for the typical recommendation of vinegarettes, nor do I like dressings that are too oily--I know, I'm picky ). I'm also not able to find a good barbecue sauce without sugar. I finally found some ketchup I can use, and I bought some Walden Farms "pancake syrup" (haven't tried it yet--no sugar alcohols).

Does anyone have any suggestions for good salad dressings? In my pre-sugar-watching life, I LOVED honey mustard, thousand island, and French dressings. I also liked some Asian type dressings (sesame, ginger, etc.).

I see Walden Farms makes an Asian salad dressing--has anyone tried it? I've tried their honey dijon and was not impressed, but just because I don't like one doesn't mean I can't like another!

Also, has anyone tried their barbecue sauces? I'm interested in the honey barbecue and the thick and spicy flavors (I know they also have a hickory, but that doesn't do much for me).

I can't find either of these products in grocery stores around here, so I was thinking of ordering them online, but I wanted to get some opinions before I took the plunge to pay shipping and handling Also, any other suggested brands of these kinds of items would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:07 AM   #2  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

jilly I tried the walden farms honey dijon and it's not half bad no where near as good as honey mustard (my fave dressing) My dh said the walden farms ranch is pretty good.
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:36 AM   #3  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

These are my favorite "package dressings". Love them all. I order them 6 at a time to save a couple of bucks.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:44 AM   #4  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Jill, Are you interested in recipes for BBQ sauce or "honey" mustard dressing made with Splenda?

Oops, edited to add, I'm not on SBD, so I'm not sure if splenda is okay to eat. I'm pretty sure all of the other ingredients would be legal for SBD.

Last edited by jtammy; 02-06-2008 at 10:45 AM.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #5  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtammy View Post
Jill, Are you interested in recipes for BBQ sauce or "honey" mustard dressing made with Splenda?

Oops, edited to add, I'm not on SBD, so I'm not sure if splenda is okay to eat. I'm pretty sure all of the other ingredients would be legal for SBD.
Yup, I can have Splenda! I'll definitely take recipes! I tried a bbq sauce recipe I found on the SB section, and it was NOTHING like the bbq sauce I'm used to, but I'm willing to keep trying!
Old 02-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #6  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Jill, Here's the BBQ sauce recipe I use:

Barbecue Sauce

1/4 c. coffee
1 cup tomato sauce
1/2 c. chopped onions
2 T. tomato paste
3 T. red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
2 T. Worchestershire sauce
3 T. prepared mustard
1 t. Liquid Smoke
Tabasco sauce to taste
2 T. Splenda (original recipe called for more - so you may want to taste it)
salt and pepper

Combine everything except splenda, salt and pepper in food processor and puree. Pour into a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in splenda, salt and pepper. Let cool, cover and refrigerate.

I always make a double batch since I want to make it worthwhile if I have to clean the food processor.

About 190 calories for a single batch. ( I think it makes about 3 cups - to the best of my memory)

DH doesn't really care for the BBQ sauce posted above. He says it's too tomato-y and onion-y. He likes this sauce better, but it's runnier. Not a thick BBQ sauce.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Homemade Arby's Sauce

1/2 c white vinegar
3/4 tsp whole cloves
3/4" cinnamon stick broken into pieces
1/2 tsp celery salt
1-1 /2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp pepper
salt to taste
1 tsp Tabasco
1-6 oz. can tomato paste
1c+4 tsp water
1/3 c. splenda

Combine vinegar through salt in covered pan and bring to boil. Remove from heat and allow to steep for 20 minutes or longer. Mix Tabasco, tomato paste and water in saucepan. Strain vinegar through cheesecloth or a coffee filter and discard spices. Add spiced vinegar and salt to tomato sauce in pan. Stirring often simmer over low heat until desired consistency is achieved. Add sweetener and stir. Refrigerate until used.

I have down that it's about 200 calories for the batch, although I may need to recalculate. That seems too high for the two cups it makes, especially since the tomato paste is the only thing that has enough calories to fool with counting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "honey" mustard dressing

1/2 c. Light mayo
1/2 c. Mustard (yellow or dijon)
1/2 c. vinegar
1/2 c. Splenda
tsp. paprika
tsp. lemon juice

I like that much mustard, but you might want to half the amount of mustard first to see if you like it.

Tablespoon - 22 calories
2 grams fat
1 gram carb
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:40 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 218/212/160

Height: 5'8"

It's my understanding (and hopefully someone here can correct me if I am wrong) that ANY salad dressing is allowed as long as it has <2g sugar per serving, and none of the added stuff we are to avoid. Keeping this in mind, I am finding lots and lots of varieties that meet this criteria - it seems like more do than don't. Am I doing something wrong here?
only1naked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:56 AM   #8  
Eating for two!

only1, I believe you are correct. However, things like honey mustard and French dressing have more sugar than that, I'm pretty sure. I also have a hard time limiting myself to the 2 Tablespoons serving size (some dressings even only have 1 Tablespoon as the serving size). I'm finding that even the salad spritzers, which I think would be easier to keep to 2T, have HFCS, which I'm trying to avoid (not sure if thats something to be avoided on SB, but it is a personal preference of mine). Regardless of how much sugar the nutritional ifno says it has, if the dressing has sugar (or HFCS) listed in the first 3 ingredients, I try to avoid it because I know I'll end up with too much sugar due to my serving size.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hey Jill - Not sure about the sugars for SB plan, but the Newman's Own Light dressing are fabulous. I love the Balsamic Vinegrette, but if those aren't your style, you would probably love the Ginger Sesame and the Honey Mustard. I hope they meet SB requirements because they taste incredibly good and not light at all. Tammy - your recipes look great!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #10  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking2lose View Post
Hey Jill - Not sure about the sugars for SB plan, but the Newman's Own Light dressing are fabulous. I love the Balsamic Vinegrette, but if those aren't your style, you would probably love the Ginger Sesame and the Honey Mustard. I hope they meet SB requirements because they taste incredibly good and not light at all. Tammy - your recipes look great!
I love the Lowfat Sesame Ginger but sugar is listed as the third ingredient and it has too many Gms of sugar (4). I miss it, it was my old favorite.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #11  
Woo! 1/2way there!

S/C/G: 186/156/135 (in P1...again)

Height: 5'4"

i'm a big fan of Frank's hot sauce. i use it now on everything i used to use ketchup and BBQ sauce for.

I LOVE Sriracha, and
Miso Mayo.

I also like to take strong flavored hummus (garlic, kalamata olive) and mix with a little salt/pepper and lemon juice to thin it, and use as salad dressing.

If i feel like a richer, creamier dressing or dip, i melt 2-3 Laughing Cow lite garlic and herb cheese wedges, wisk in 1 tbsp of skim milk, salt/pepper and let cool.
suzka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:43 PM   #12  
Eating for two!

oh nonono...my wussy little taste buds can't handle "hot" I can't even eat a MILD buffalo wing--even some barbecue sauces burn my tongue Thank you for the suggestion, though! I do wish I could handle hot sauce, as it seems like it would be a fabulous condiment on LOTS of different things.

I use Nasoya's soy-based mayo since I can't find a regular mayo that doesn't have sugar. The Nasoya has "can juice (dried)" as an ingredient, but it must be very little, as it translates to 0g sugar per tablespoon, so has to be less than .5g sugar per serving.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:04 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/188/140

Height: 5 ft 6 1/2 in

Thanks for the recipes, jtammy; I really needed one for barbeque sauce and the first one with coffee in it really caught my eye-can't wait to try it!
Earthchild is offline   Reply With Quote