Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-07-2008, 09:44 AM   #1  

Default Ladies, I need you...

LWL, I need your insights.

Okay, let me premise this by saying my period should be coming anytime in the next week, so I don't know if my emotionality and perspective is purely hormonal or not.

But...here goes.

I'm loathing the group training and we've only trained 2x (plus 1 assessment).

First day, we did a circuit that included a lot of sprints, sort of a boot camp style workout and it was okay, out of the 4 of us, I was the second slowest and this as you know upset me, but the faster women are 180 and 211 and I carry 286. That day made me emotional for that, and also because of how I was being treated. My trainer was focused on everyone but me and when I did gesture "are we going to do that again" he jokingly took off his name tag "master trainer" and said you want this? That really upset me, and then the team teased me, who remembers about what, and I didn't find it funny at all.

Yesterday I rested (1x a week). Today was lower legs.

What workout? Seriously, what workout? I feel like I got zip out of today. WTF am I paying for? I thought in group training I'd get "trained". Nope. Again, he focused completely on the others (2 who are new to training overall). I was left to my own devices to figure out how much weight to use and only gleaned how many reps. No interaction with him at all. We did abductors, inductors, quads, smith machine weighted squats, lunges, and a few things using bands, the bosu, and the barbell, followed by 10 minutes of stretches.

I feel I cannot even honestly claim a 20 minute workout in my Fitday records. On the squats, I tried to ask him how much weight I needed (he always did this for me) and I still don't know how much I used today, but I know I could have done 50 more. I tried to tell him that it felt like nothing.

On the abductors, et. all, I pretty much could do almost the whole stack and felt like it was barely work. On the quads (weighted legs, raise feet to level with knee), it was okay.

Then I didn't hear that he wanted that followed by lunges and so a teammate told me. After round 2 of the machines, no one did more lunges and then I got crap for not doing them, but no one said anything to me and when I said to my trainer "but you didn't say", he and a teammate gave me crap.

I followed up with 15 minutes on the treadmill on a steep incline and 5 minutes really deep rows, but whoopdedooo.

WTF am I paying for? I mean, I could take another boot camp and get the same thing for free.

When we train 1-1, I swear we do more, work harder, rest MUCH less. I am not happy at all and don't know whether I should say something today, give it one more session and then tell him during assessment, or what. And how do I say it without him taking it as harsh criticism or making me look needy. Frankly, I would NEVER do group training again.

I guess I expected he'd have a variety of levels of the same exercises, in other words have me do the advanced and others an intro exercise. I never thought that we'd be wasting time in between and he'd let it. I've thought to send him a note today and just say "anyway we can step things up for me?" but does that even convey enough. Ultimately, today felt like nothing, waste of time, barely a workout. And a total waste of money, time, and a session.

It is critical of him, unfortunately. I think he's a great trainer, and a good boot camp instructor, but group training, well what the heck is he thinking! I mean, sure he might be thinking I know what to do or will figure it out, well, that is not what I expected and paid for.

If this continues, WTF am I going to get out of it just for myself for how I'm trying to change my body?

I want to cry. This cost me $999. I usually pay $1400 for 1-1 training. I did this to win the free training (worth $1400), but now am doubting it was worth it. I don't have $999 to waste. It was paid expecting more of the same, but just with a group and therefore the discount.

JerseyGirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

JG,

I am sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with your personal trainer. I would definitely talk to him and tell him you aren't feeling challenged.

Also are you using mostly machines? I'd be a bit concerned about that because machines are good for beginners but I think doing freestyle/free weights really is the way to go. (abductor/adductor machine?! I wouldn't touch those)

Of course that is just my advice. Definitely talk to him and say that you are concerned that you aren't getting much of a workout and that you aren't enjoying the group exercise as much as you thought you would.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I would definitely arrange to meet with him outside of the class & talk to him about this. Especially for that kind of money. If it doesn't change ask if it would be possible for you to pay the difference & continue on with private sessions maybe.

Good luck - I hope this works out for you.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #4  

Re: machines, we rarely use them. Sometimes for variety and maybe a pulley type, otherwise the only "machines" have been cages and slant boards. Most of our workouts have been free weights.

I feel like if I say something, he'll react negatively, but today made me feel like pulling out of the Challenge just to get the workout I'm used to. First one wasn't bad as sprints wind me, but today sucked. Period.

I mean, can't a trainer multitask and work with the whole team? SHouldn't they consider what each member needs? Of course the answer should be yes.

I'm thinking I'm going to text and say "...today really didn't challenge me at all and seemed like a very minimal workout (20m out of the 60). Can we change that?"
Old 02-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #5  

Trainers, what if you got this email?

Hey, I need to let you know, I’m not happy with how the group training is going at all. Maybe I misunderstood what group would be like, but I feel like there’s no training for me and I’m barely challenged. Compared to what we’ve been doing, this was Easy Pass (fewer exercises, fewer reps, just no challenge). Frankly, I'm beginning to regret the expense and feel I would have been better off paying more to continue one on one, even if it meant I couldn’t participate in the Challenge. This feels like a bit of a waste of time and money, neither of which I have a ton of. While I understand someone new to working out or to you needs a ton of direction, we all do and to our individual levels. I guess I thought somehow it would still have the elements of our 1-1 at least with regard to challenge, intensity and actual time working out. It has none of that for me and I can’t begin to express my upset and frustration.

Today I was really upset (like ready to leave the Challenge) by how much lack of working out there was. I understand camaraderie, and want all in the group to make gains, but I didn't pay for a coffee clatch and it’s mostly chat and just a little work. That’s not what I wanted out of this. Today was just way too light and I feel like if this continues I won’t make any strides whatsoever, besides feeling what we’re doing I could do on my own with classes and a to do list.

Granted, I'm judging based on two sessions, and the first was more of a challenge, as sprint circuits are for me, but I think it's only right for me to share with you where my head is at.

I only did this to try to win the challenge, forget saving money (after this, I don’t think I’d ever group train again.) Compared to what we normally do, it was like ¼ the workout. I really feel like I barely got a 20 minute workout and it didn’t challenge me at all and feel anxious to make up for the lack of workout today if I can.

Can we find a better balance and fast?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #6  
Meg

JG, if I got that email from a client, I'd want to sit down, talk it over, and fix the problem. I think you presented your feelings and frustrations honestly and in a rational, non-emotional way. Your concerns need to be addressed.

By its nature, group training is very different from individual training. The trainer is constrained by the different ability/skill levels and has to teach to the lowest common denominator. And it's more difficult to devote individual attention to a client. It may be unfair, but perhaps your trainer thinks that you need less attention because you're more experienced than the others in the group?

I think Lifeguard has a good idea in seeing if you can switch back to one-on-one training. I suspect that you're not going to be satisfied with group workouts after experiencing your customary challenging and intense individual training.

Good luck and let us know what happens!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:35 AM   #7  

I was waiting on you, Meg. I haven't sent the email yet. Wanted your opinion.

You k now, I voiced this concern to him before I signed up and he didn't address it. I should have taken that as a warning sign. I really just got the sense from him that the reason this would be good for me is that I'd be competitive and therefore try to get more out of myself. That much is true. But had I known the lack of workout? : P I would have just paid for more 1-1.

Right now, I'm feeling like it works for him and the others, just not me. And hey, he's probably happy as isn't he making more money out of one session? Well, FK that. Sorry, I am sooo peeved.

I've revised the email and it's below. Gonna send it and not wait until Saturday.

Hey, I need to drop a bombshell, I’m sorry. I need to let you know I’m not happy with how the group training is going at all.

Maybe I misunderstood what group would be like, but I feel like there’s no training for me and I’m barely challenged. You may remember that this was a concern I voiced to you before signing up. Compared to what we’ve been doing, this was Easy Pass (fewer exercises, fewer reps, just no challenge). I could have easily doubled the weights on the Smith cage, done the whole stack on the abductors, tripled the situps, etc. I tried just doing more…like when a teammate was sluggish I joined them in their last 10, on top of my own.

Frankly, I'm beginning to regret the expense and feel I would have been better off paying more to continue one on one, even if it meant I couldn’t participate in the Challenge. This feels like a waste of time and money, neither of which I have much of (which exacerbates my current upset as every hour and every dollar is a huge investment for me). While I understand someone new to working out or to you needs a ton of direction (and believe me, I understand that and expected it), we all do and to our individual levels. I guess I thought somehow it would still have the elements of our 1-1 at least with regard to challenge, intensity, you directing the challenge level for us, and actual time working out. It has none of that for me and I can’t begin to express my upset and frustration.

Today I was really upset (like ready to leave the Challenge) by how much lack of working out there was. I understand camaraderie (I have to admit, though, I feel none of that in return), and truly want all in the group to make gains, but I didn't pay for a coffee clatch and it’s mostly chat and just a little work. That’s not what I wanted out of this. Today was just way too light and I feel like it was no different than being given a to do list to workout on my own, figure out my own weights, or participate in a class. I worry if this continues I won’t make any strides whatsoever, and that’s most important to me, why I began training in the first place.

Granted, I'm judging based on two sessions, and the first was more of a challenge, as sprint circuits are for me, but I think it's only right for me to share with you where my head is at so you can adjust (either my head or the workout) if possible. Maybe I’m missing something or misunderstanding things, but by telling you, at least you can address it. Who knows, maybe you intended this to be light and tomorrow will be intense???

I only did this to try to win the challenge, forget saving money (after this, I don’t think I’d ever group train again other than a boot camp or class). Compared to what we normally do, it was like ¼ the workout. I really feel like I barely got a 20 minute workout and it didn’t challenge me at all and feel anxious to make up for the lack of workout today if I can.

Can we find a better balance and fast, please? I want to finish out what I started, be there with the team I brought together, but I need some changes, -----. I hope you understand.

Last edited by JerseyGirl69; 02-07-2008 at 12:12 PM. Reason: cuz I'm anal and edited the letter a 3rd and 4th time
Old 02-07-2008, 11:57 AM   #8  
Meg

Good revisions, JG! Your email is crystal clear about your expectations and experiences so far, so the ball is in your trainer's court. None of us ever want to feel like we're going backwards and your frustration is totally understandable. I really hope that this can be resolved to your benefit. You've made way too much progress to stall out now.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #9  

Okay, email goes in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...
Old 02-07-2008, 02:15 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

Coming late to this, but I think it's a great expression of your concerns, without whining or getting too emotional. I would be hugely upset if I paid that much to get training - even in a group - and basically got minimal attention. Heck, my DH is in a group skating class and still gets some 1-1 attention from the instructor, and you have only 4 people? I hope things get better.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I agree with all the others, but I will add that if you're feeling unchallenged by your workout, the first step is to ADD MORE WEIGHT! That is something you can do without the help of a trainer.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:03 PM   #12  

Well, he didn't take it well at all. Felt attacked and that I was making accusations. He cannot hear that I'm saying I got no focus, he thinks I want favoritsm. He accused me of poor sportsmanship and thinks he prepared me for this, which he didn't.

Anyway, this ended up being a terrible day. I went to the doctor and now I'm having a whole bunch of tests, plus have a partial diagnosis on something and I just needed his reaction like a hole in the head. I'll detail the diagnosis down the line when things are more concrete.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:03 PM   #13  

Oh, as for add more weight...well one was the hole stack and the other I had no sense of what weights were right for me. That's stuff he always did for me.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #14  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Sorry you're having a bad day and sorry he didn't take it in a good way. Hopefully you can get some resolution.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:32 PM   #15  

I too am sorry this happened. I've never done "group training" although I take a couple of strength classes and use free weights and the Y. I did hire a personal trainer for 3 sessions at my house. At the time, it felt like a great investment. It's still good for me to have the printouts of the routines--I take it w/me to gym and use it there. Still, I know I'm slacking a bit and could be pushing myself harder.

In any case, I learned that personal rapport and being very clear about my goals (w/myself and w/my trainer) helped it work.

I hope you can resolve this situation in a way that feels good for you.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote