South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-07-2008, 12:23 AM   #1  

Default Good Bar Recommendations, Please!???

Does anyone have a recommendation for a bar that fits the SB guidelines other than the ones made by Kraft?

Used to love Atkins bars, which have too much saturated fat for South Beach, and this other brand called Low Carb bars, but they stopped carrying them around here and I'm not sure if they'd fit the guidelines, anyway.

I know whole food is best and most desired, and I shoot for that most of the time, but sometimes I really just want a bar (not bagged veggies, nuts, etc.).
bellaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Oh Yeah WAFER bars been the best for me so far. Sugars 2; carbs 8; fats 13; protein 14. Little high in some stuff, but the taste is really good. Power Crunch WAFER bars are Sugars 5; carbs 10; fats 12; protein 14; are also very good. I like the Detour U-turn bars, and Detour low sugar, but they are higher in carbs and sugar. I'll be watching to see what other people suggest. I did make the Cornell University High Protein bread, but haven't run it through the nutrition information program yet. Will let you all know what I find out.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:35 AM   #3  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

How about making your own so you know exactly what's in them? If you go to the recipe section, do a search for "oatmeal bars" and Nessa's famous recipe will come up.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/212/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Good Bar Recommendations, Please!???
I know this quaint little spot up the street with live music and no cover on Thursday nights...

Thanks, folks. I'll be here all week.
only1naked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:34 AM   #5  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

Only1 that was

Bella do try the nessa bars they are a life saver. Sometimes when I just have to have a bar or candy bar I eat an Atkins bar that has 2g sugar no sugar alchol and 11g protein its the fairly new carmel one. Good luck
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

There's a South Beach bar, I bought a box at Sam's Club, are they ok? I've never been one for bars, I don't really know how to read labels but I'm just assuming chocolate anything can't be good for dieting! Sometimes I get busy though and I"m wondering if those are the bars to choose, or the Atkins ones? Does anyone know more abut this
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Only1, you beat me to it! I was so busy this morning that I couldn't act on that impulse until now.

Technically, the deal is that we're supposed to be moving away from processed foods, so bars aren't the best idea. Though making Nessa's bars wouldn't really count as processed foods, IMHO.

However, if you do have to have a bar because you're in a hurry or whatever, the SBD bars could be your best bet. From what I've been told at my nutritionist, those are the ones they recommend the most because they are the healthiest of them all and have the most protein (obviously, for those kind of bars, not compared to meal replacement ones). However, if you look at the ingredients, you'll see that if SBD is the best, there must be a LOT of scary ingredients out there!!!

I've tried one kind called ThinkThin. They have some good ingredients but I have to admit that they aren't very tasty.

I get a bar-like product from www.netrition.com (a site I just love) that has a lot of protein (14g) and tastes great. They're called Oh Yeah! Protein Wafer Bars and are low in fat (210 cals, 6g fat). They do have sugar in the coating, but I managed to miss that fact when I first ordered them, and they've never bothered me. The total grams of sugar is 2, so it can't be much, since some of the other ingredients would be figured into those grams, too. I love the Peanut Butter Cup ones and think the Vanilla Peanut Butter Creme are pretty good, too. The Chocolate PB are good, but not as good as the PB Cup. Vanilla Creme tastes kind of protein-powder-y to me. I haven't had the other flavor(s). You can see nutrition info for each one by clicking on the arrow next to the box with the name near the bottom of the page.

From the same site, I also have recently tried Chocolite Protein bars. They have 100cals (or less) and are 30% fat. They are made with erythritol, which doesn't have the effects that sugar alcohols do, but they also have malitol, so if you eat a gazillion of them, you will still have digestive issues. They aren't absolutely fantastic, but they do taste good and for 100 cals and 10g protein, I'll take 'em! I've only tried the Peanut Butter ones.

Hope that helps!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I was just reading about the Gnu Flavor & Fiber Bars, and they may be OK for the SBD, but I can't find any info about how many sugar grams are in a bar. Here's the info I have on them -
The bars are made of organic whole wheat flour, oats, wheat bran, psyllium (a plant with more than 12 times the soluble fiber of oat bran), flax, millet and soy flour; they are bound with canola oil, sweetened with fruit juice and flavored with all-natural ingredients. Most flavors have plums and apples in addition to the headline fruit(s). The result is a very moist, chewy and extremely satisfying product that we would enjoy even if we didn’t need the added fiber.
They may be worth looking into if you really want a bar.

Laurie, I've tried the ThinkThin bars, and I really like the Creamy Peanut Butter one. I tried the Cranberry one and the Fudge one, though, and didn't care for them at all.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:47 PM   #9  

Thumbs up

When you go to the GNU website, click on the bar and more information and it gives you the nutrition breakdown. The bars have between 8-12 grams of sugar per bar based on whatever flavor you pick. I just ordered the banana walnut for phase II. I googled for the cheapest price on these bars and the GNU website actually has the cheapest price, they are running a valentines special right now. Hope this helps
sluggo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Whew, that's a lot of sugar in those bars! It's natural occuring sugar that comes from the fruit, but it could still induce cravings. Be careful!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:29 PM   #11  

Thank you all so much for the ideas! Will check out everything you suggested. Just wasn't sure if I should be going for lower carb/lower sugar or lower fat.
bellaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:19 PM   #12  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Kashi TLC Bars

Cals 140
Sugars - 4 g (SB bars have 5)
Carb - 19 ( SB15)
Fiber - 4 (3)
Protein 7 (10)
Fat 5 (5)

They are a little higher in carb and fiber, and a little lower in protein but very good and more natural than the SB bars - more actual whole grain, less processed junk.

Now...technically the SBD bars dont really meet SB requirements but that is a whole nother topic.

Last edited by ennay; 02-08-2008 at 10:20 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #13  

Last time I did SB I like the kashi bars. I always said if I could dip them in chocolate or nutella they would have been so much better. LOL I do not like the SB bars the texture is wrong and I don't like the taste either.
tammie00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #14  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaluna View Post
Hi ennay:

I didn't think they did either...did some research and the official SBD site claims that they do...not sure what to believe anymore.

Thanks for the Kashi suggestion! They look very healthy!
I was a member of the official SBD site when all the kraft foods came out. WHAT an uproar. The general consensus from people who had been following the whole grain, less processed diet was that Agaston sold out. Especially in regards to the bars. The moderators who were torn said that the official stance is that these foods are meant for occasional use, not every day use. I think in the intervening years the foods have been pushed more in the name of $$. JMO. I am somewhat of a purist

I prefer the kashis because they arent as sweet as the SBD bars (6 types of sugar AND sucralose) or other energy bars and they are whole grain and no corn syrup. I think even though they have slightly higher carbs, they are mostly lower GI carbs. I only use them right before a run though, I cant handle anything like that as a snack. I am supremely sugar sensitive.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote