Old 02-06-2008, 01:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215-220?/200/155

Height: 5'9"

Default Working out in the morning vs. afternoon

hey guys! I've been having a problem with making excuses or running out of time to workout. I'm thinking that next week I'm going to start working out in the morning even though I'd have to wake up by 6 in the morning and really try to go to bed by 10. That way the only thing i have to do in the morning is get ready so i don't have an excuse other than i'm tired. at least, i think i'm going to do this for a few weeks until i'm in the routine of working out so later i can workout in the afternoon again but be on task about it. plus, it will probably help me wake up and concentrate in class and hopefully as i get better with my new morning routine, I can get up later.

Has anyone else found this to be helpful? Any other advice to help with making excuses other than "just make yourself do because you know you feel good afterwards." that approach doesn't work with me. I'm a very good debater with myself unfortunately my bad side wins most of the time ... anyways, the charm of losing weight is wearing off and it's starting to interfere with the rest of my life in a way. I'm really hoping that by working out in the morning will set the mood for the rest of the day. I guess we'll see because I'm not a morning person! haha!

oh and also, do you recommend eating before working out or anything? i probably shouldn't but sometimes I'm pretty hungry when i wake up, but i don't have a break for lunch until 12 so to eat at 6 is too early but i usually eat oatmeal so it's not something i can split into 2. Any tips or suggestions?

Last edited by M a g g i e; 02-06-2008 at 01:20 PM.
M a g g i e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

I can NOT get out of bed before 8 unless it's to get a shower and go make money (work). I've learned this about myself. At least for now, at this point in my life, I can't convince myself at 6 to get out of bed and exercise, when the bed is warm and comfy and DH is there. Soooo... I don't try anymore.

I make time in the evenings now, because it's when I know I have fewer (less compelling, i.e., bed-related) excuses. It's just what works for me. You have to be honest with yourself if getting up is feasible for you -- it sounds like it'll be tough but if you try it and it sticks then GREAT! I just know for me it wasn't going to happen unless the circumstances were right.

As for eating beforehand, it's really a matter of preference. I cannot exercise without having eaten something within the last two hours or so, or else I run out of energy and get dizzy. Another reason why 1-2 hours after dinner works well for me. Some people feel sick if they exercise with food in their stomach. It's sort of like an experiment, and you'll just have to keep trying til you stumble upon just the right combo for you! Maybe all you need is a glass of juice for some immediate energy/sugar before you exercise in the mornings; maybe you need to have a bowl of oatmeal and wait a half hour; maybe you don't need/want anything. Maybe you'll end up changing your lunch, or bringing a snack. You're going to have to re-look at most of your eating patterns though if you're going to add in regular exercise -- I know my schedule changed as I got hungrier during the day.

Anyway.... trial and error...... good luck!
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 151/151/139

Height: 5*7

yah i cant work out either! i always slug and tehn i feel cruddy teh whole entire day!
nyk161616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

I try to be a morning work out person. I don't always sucede but I give it my best shot. I'm up at 5:30 to get to the gym for 6am and to work by 8. It took me about 6 or 8 weeks to actually make it a habbit. Now I actually wake up at 5:20 every weekday morning. I've learned to love it, b/c its done ,its out of the way and I don't have to think about it for the rest of the day. Now, I'm NOT in anyway shape or form a morning person. I try to talk myself out of it and often suceded. What works for me is to pack my gym bag the night before. I put my shampoo, conditioner, make-up and clothes for the next day into my bag and place it in my car. That way if I decide to stay home I've had to get everything I need out of my car. Usually I walk to my car and just decide to go. I ay out all my workout gear on my dresser so it's all there. I also pack, breakfast, lunch and a snack into my lunch bag the night before so I'm ready to go. Being prepared really helps. I throw on my workout gear, grab my lunch bag and hope in the car. Plus showering and at the gym has really lowered my monthly bilss.

I don't eat before I workout. I find I get cramps when I do so and I'm generally not hungry at 5:30am. Cranky yes, but hungry no. I eat breakfast when I get to my office a 8. Plus my trainer told me, that if you can stomach it, working out first thing in the morning before eating is best b/c you use fat for energy rather than the food you just ate. Whether it's true or not I don't know, but it's what I've been told.

I'd love to hear what other people have to say.
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:44 PM   #5  

i saw something on the today show a few weeks ago about exercise myths and one of them was about working out in the morning before you eat. The woman they were interviewing said that's not true and the best time to work out is the time that's best for you.

shantroy: i think that's how i am. I work out in my room so all i have to do is get up, go to the bathroom, change, and just do it. And i think I'd much rather not have that "task" hanging over my head all day.

suitejudy: i sleep alone so no temptations there haha! It's harder in the evening because i have other things i absolutely have to get done for the next day when it comes to school work and unfortunately school has to come first. technically i have enough time to work out and be healthy but i usually keep thinking about working out so it takes me longer to do other things and i'm out of time. so really i keep hindering myself. hopefully, doing it in the morning will stop that cycle.

i think i need to find something light to eat beforehand just because i don't want to go into starvation mode with my metabolism. but just like 2 bites because i definitely can't workout after eating.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:46 PM   #6  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

The only time I worked out in the morning was when my job (at an athletic facility) required me to be there at 4:30 a.m. I would run stairs for an hour at around 7 a.m. Of course, this was like my lunch hour....

I am an evening gym-goer. I get a burst at around 8 p.m. and it's my body saying, "GO! Work out NOW!"... so I do.

However, during the summer I will run in the morning sometimes to take advantage of the cool weather.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:51 PM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

I just did a quick google search -- looks like there's no universal standard "ideal" time to work out.

Points raised:
1) ANY time you can work out, you should. People work out far too seldom; any workout is a good workout.
2) Some people raised that breakfast point shan's trainer brought up.
3) Others advocate exercising in late afternoon when glycogen stores are elevated and muscles are therefore at their strongest.
4) Others say it depends on when YOU feel most awake, so you are sure you don't lose focus and injure yourself.

And for good measure, here's a CNN Health article:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/diet....ime/index.html
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:02 PM   #8  
Blabbermouth

S/C/G: 140/131/120

Height: 5'4

I've been waking up at 6:00 to work out. Sometimes I don't want to get out of bed to work out, but when I work out in the morning vs. at night, I feel better b/c I don't have that whole workout looming over my head. I'm a SAHM, so evening is the only time I really get me time. That's just me, though. Everyone is different.
frog0726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:11 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitejudyblueeyes View Post
I just did a quick google search -- looks like there's no universal standard "ideal" time to work out.

Points raised:
1) ANY time you can work out, you should. People work out far too seldom; any workout is a good workout.
2) Some people raised that breakfast point shan's trainer brought up.
3) Others advocate exercising in late afternoon when glycogen stores are elevated and muscles are therefore at their strongest.
4) Others say it depends on when YOU feel most awake, so you are sure you don't lose focus and injure yourself.

And for good measure, here's a CNN Health article:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/diet....ime/index.html
Thanks for the info! You always find such great websites! I definitely don't want to lose my focus so if that's what happens then I'll stop, but i might have more focus since it will be complete silence and me....or i'll fall back asleep haha!
Old 02-06-2008, 02:25 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 238/227/150

Height: 5'6"

I have been thinking about waking up early and going....only thinking...haha! I really need to do something about it though. I'm glad you asked the questions. I like reading what everyone says too.
sgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:48 PM   #11  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

When I was exercising regularly, I would get up at 4:30am to do so. I would also NOT go to the gym--I would exercise in my living room. That way, it didn't matter if I didn't do my hair, brush my teeth, etc. before I started my workout.

Personally, I did not eat anything before my exercise. I would do my workout (usually a cardio video and maybe some crunches and light weights on the balance ball), then shower, then eat breakfast, then go to work. It gave me both more energy plus a satisfying sense of accomplishment to start my day.

hmm...someone remind me why I still don't do it?
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:50 PM   #12  
bow chicka bow wow

I usually workout when I first wake up in the morning unless I simply don't have time. But I found that if I just roll out of bed and go I don't come up with reasons not to. Probably because I'm not really awake yet. So I throw myself out of bed, grab something light to eat (or else I have zero energy in the gym) and go for it. If for some reason I can't workout when I wake up then I do it first thing when I get home. Again, it just eliminates the potential excuses from me if I don't think about it and just do it.
tinsica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #13  
I just need motivation.

S/C/G: 258/see ticker/145

Height: 5ft 7 inches

For me I found it was easier to get up at 5:30am..yes early and exercise than it was to do it after work. After work I am usually so tired that I just don't feel like it.

You have to decide what kind of person you are I guess, trial and error. My girlfriend CAN NOT exercise in the morning so she does it at night. NO real answer, just try the morning thing for a while and see waht you think.
illbehotoneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:06 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 173/173/125

Height: 5'8"

I HAVE to work out in the morning. My job always leaves me so tired that by the time I get home all I want to do is eat and sleep. I actually get up at 4:15 every weekday and work out, I know it sounds crazy but I leave my house at 6:30 and I need that long to workout and get ready. some mornings its hard, its never light out, its usually cold in the house, my husband and dogs stay in bed....but I know if I don’t I will be even more tired. Something that helps me a lot is that I put all my workout clothes out the night before so that I don't have to stumble around in the morning to find them. I also only let myself watch my favorite tv shows while working out (I have a home gym) this is a big motivator. I love Biggest Loser so I was almost excited this morning to get up so that I could watch it while I worked out for 75 minuets. I think the best idea is to set up rewards for yourself for getting up every morning to work out if that is really what you want to do. My mom treats herself to a pedicure each Sunday if she gets up every morning and takes her dog for a jog. Good luck to you, it can be difficult but so worth it!
ella13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:20 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

I get up a few minutes before 6am every weekday and walk my dog for 30 min. I have a couple of dog walking partners, so I always get up. I have gottent o the point that even if they don't go, I will. My dog needs it! Then I go to the gym as soon as I get home from work. If I'm hungry I'll eat some carrot sticks or a string cheese before I go. I don't eat before I walk in the morning, I just chug some water.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote