Old 02-06-2008, 10:06 AM   #1  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default sugar free/no sugar added condiments

This is cross-posted from the South Beach section, but I know a lot of low carbers and South Beachers don't read both sections, but both groups could help me in my quest!

I'm definitely missing some condiments in my life. I'm having a VERY hard time finding salad dressings I like (I don't care for the typical recommendation of vinegarettes, nor do I like dressings that are too oily--I know, I'm picky ). I'm also not able to find a good barbecue sauce without sugar. I finally found some ketchup I can use, and I bought some Walden Farms "pancake syrup" (haven't tried it yet--no sugar alcohols).

Does anyone have any suggestions for good salad dressings? In my pre-sugar-watching life, I LOVED honey mustard, thousand island, and French dressings. I also liked some Asian type dressings (sesame, ginger, etc.).

I see Walden Farms makes an Asian salad dressing--has anyone tried it? I've tried their honey dijon and was not impressed, but just because I don't like one doesn't mean I can't like another!

Also, has anyone tried their barbecue sauces? I'm interested in the honey barbecue and the thick and spicy flavors (I know they also have a hickory, but that doesn't do much for me).

I can't find either of these products in grocery stores around here, so I was thinking of ordering them online, but I wanted to get some opinions before I took the plunge to pay shipping and handling Also, any other suggested brands of these kinds of items would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:49 AM   #2  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Have you considered making mustard mayonnaise, or garlic mayonnaise? Sesame oil is deliciously nutty and guilt-free - you could use that as a base and mix in ginger, sesame seeds, maybe some soy sauce and a dash of liquid sweetener, perhaps? What about salsa?
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:53 AM   #3  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadabroad View Post
Have you considered making mustard mayonnaise, or garlic mayonnaise? Sesame oil is deliciously nutty and guilt-free - you could use that as a base and mix in ginger, sesame seeds, maybe some soy sauce and a dash of liquid sweetener, perhaps? What about salsa?
Do you mean just mixing mustard and mayo together and using as a dressing? I actually haven't tried ANY mayo-based dressings. Come to think of it, isn't thousand island basically just mayo, ketchup, and sweet relish (all of which I has no sugar added version of)? hmm...

I have tried salsa--not a fan of it as a dressing. Good idea, though!
Old 02-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #4  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

I mostly use craft ranch or homemade coleslaw dressing on everything. A hamemade sesame or dijon dressing would be good. I'll have to check lindas locarb or the recipe thread for dressings (sory I'm not much help)

I love the waldenfarms pancake syrop, and the chocolate one also. I have the hickory BBQ and the flavor isn't too bad but it lacks the texture of regular BBQ , so I don't use it much. I ordered mine from nettrition.

PS.. jillybean, You and your little puppy are adorable!
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:50 AM   #5  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Do you mean just mixing mustard and mayo together and using as a dressing? I actually haven't tried ANY mayo-based dressings.

Yes! Goodness, yes! Bless you USAian folks, with your readily available premade condiments! It's often cheaper and healthier to make your own, imho. Get creative!

Typical dips/dressings I make are:

Garlic Mayo: Mix some mayo with some chopped garlic/garlic paste/dried garlic, and add in some herbs, or a herbal salt mix. Eat immediately or leave in the fridge for the flavour to soak through all the mayo. Also nice with finely chopped chives or fresh dill.

Mustard Mayo: Mix mayo and mustard, in whatever quantities you prefer. This is best with nice Dijon full of mustard seeds, imho, for the crunchy texture, but it's fine with French's if that's what you've got. (This is particularly lovely with salmon, imho, but it works with all kinds of things.)

Blue Cheese: Mayo plus crumbled blue cheese!

Thousand Island: Mayo plus ketchup, with maybe some finely chopped capers or dill pickles or sweet relish for a bit of crunchy goodness.

Chili Mayo: Mayo, cumin, chili powder, maybe a dash of cinnamon & sliced jalapenos. Maybe some finely chopped onion too.

Then you can take pretty much any powdered soup mix, add it to mayo and leave it for an hour or two to get an exciting dip of your choice. If you have low carb soup mixes, that could be another option!

You could try a spicy Indian chutney of finely chopped raw onions, curry powder and ketchup? That's rather nice too.

...of course, I haven't actually bothered with anything more complex than mayo straight from the jar since starting Atkins, but these are the kinds of things I'd generally knock together if I've got people coming and want to rustle up chips'n'dips, kind of thing. (Although these days it would be cucumber/celery/cherry tomatoes/raw broccoli/ chicken satay/mini sausages etc 'n' dips...)

...actually, you could probably use the pancake syrup as part of a dressing, if you were wanting something sweet - balancing it out with some soy sauce and chili, maybe, for a Teriyaki-style flavour?

Last edited by broadabroad; 02-07-2008 at 02:57 AM.
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:46 AM   #6  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadabroad View Post
Do you mean just mixing mustard and mayo together and using as a dressing? I actually haven't tried ANY mayo-based dressings.

Yes! Goodness, yes! Bless you USAian folks, with your readily available premade condiments!
haha, I'm just not sure I like mayo THAT much--I didn't mean I wasn't willing to make my own stuff

I think I'm definitely going to try the thousand island idea. Last night, I used a recipe from another site for a sugar-free copycat recipe for the dressing from Panera Bread's Asian sesame chicken salad. It was sesame oil, white vinegar, crushed garlic, ginger, and Splenda. I followed the recipe, but it was way to vinegar-y for me (despite my adding a bit more oil and Splenda AND ginger!). It wasn't horrible, but all that vinegar made my chapped lips puff up like crazy