Old 02-01-2008, 09:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 228.8/228.8/140

Default LA Express

Hey guys!! I am on my first day of LA Express. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to survive this next four weeks? I tried doing a search but my search words were to short.

Thanks!!
PolarBear2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #2  
Starting over after baby!

S/C/G: 285/See Ticker/200

Height: 5'7''

PolarBear... I have been on LA Express since July. My COD counselors thought that I would lose weight better if I didnt have as many options. My advice is to experiment, a lot. Look at your allowed condiments, and try cooking with them. Dont be afraid to mix things up! My favorite recipe is Hawaiian Chicken. Chicken Breast, BBQ Sauce and pineapples. It is also a great idea to invest in the LA cookbook. Or you can loko at the recipe threads on here. If you have any questions, I will be more than happy to try to answer them!
bradleys mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

Good luck!

I will be completely honest here. For the 1st couple of days, I thought I was going to die. I felt awful b/c of all of the sugar & fat withdrawal. And the cooking and planning was very overwhelming to me. But I wasn't ever hungry.

I decided my best bet was to just sequester myself at home and give myself plenty of time to get used to this. I went to work and the grocery store, but that was it. Everyone kept telling me it would get easier and I was like "whatever". But they were totally right and I now I can't imagine living any other way.

Plan on not feeling the greatest for a few days, plan on being grumpy and warn your friends and family! Let yourself feel it, it will be great inspiration to stay on track once you get past it.

Around week 2 I felt this incredible surge of energy and I haven't looked back since! I didn't really get sick of the foods until about week 4, just in time to start the Free to Live Program which felt like heaven!

As far as tips, I got an indoor grill (like a George Forman, but way cheaper) and used it pretty much every day. Also, instead of thing every time, I use an electronic scale. I measure it once and then record it's weight in grams on the food list. Really helps w/ the dirty dishes.

We're here for you!! You can do it!
ChefsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #4  

Thanks guys! I know it will be tough getting used to this but I know I can do it. I just need to plan a little more and the rest will fall into place.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 192/174/155

i just completed week 1, and although it was tough, it seems a little easier. I keep seeing the light at the other tunnel-3 weeks left!! I have never gone this long without pasta, rice, potatoes or red meat!!!! That is what is killing me.
Can you give me a taste of what is added after the 4 weeks? it is the only thing keeping me going right now, knowing these will return in 3 weeks!!!
wish2bthin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:26 PM   #6  

wish2bthin2. I wish I knew what was going to be added. My counsellor has advised that red meat and pasta will be two things which will be added. I am not sure what else. You are a week ahead of me. Maybe give me a hint when you see the light??
Old 02-04-2008, 11:45 AM   #7  

I'd say pretty much everything is added back after week 4. It's like heaven. You'll have more "regular" foods and lists of "use infrequently foods". These are to be used 1-2 times/week and do wonders for the variety.

My faves that were added back are tortillas, salsa, potatoes, pudding and ice cream. Most stuff is sugar-free or fat-free but trust me, you won't even notice!!

You guys are doing awesome. Your energy will skyrocket here very soon. I remember my 2nd week I was crazy hyper. I could not sit still and cleaned my whole house in one day
Old 02-04-2008, 12:11 PM   #8  

Thanks Jill,

It is actually a little easier now. I have planned my meals for the day and brought all of my meals and snacks with me to work. This really helps. I still can't get over how much food I am allowed to eat.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 192/174/155

polarbear, i am finding it getting a bit easier too. but i did fall off yesterday. I was ill and my mother in law brought supper. Spaghetti and Meat sauce, my weakness.
i did measure out 2/3 cup spaghetti and 1/2 cup meat sauce, which i added some tomato sauce to. Wasn't sure what to count that for as it is not on the express plan. but it is out of my system for awhile...
i hope
wish2bthin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:53 PM   #10  

Wish,

My weakness is past and meat sauce as well... mmmm... it is not supposed to be allowed during express but I have heard you get some of it back after the first four weeks. I have had to alter what I have been eating as well. Real Life seams to get in the way.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:21 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

If you really can't live without pasta another moment... try using spaghetti squash. I bet that is even allowed on the express (although I'm not entirely sure). You cut it in half and put it in a baking pan filled with like an inch of water and bake it until it is tender (I think around a half an hour but I don't remember exactly). Then you shred the squash with a fork to make pasta like squash pieces. It is rather like angel hair pasta. I like to cook that with some low salt chopped stewed tomatoes and spices and some ground turkey. You get in a ton of vegetables, and it feels like you were so bad. Even my DH who looked at me like I was trying to slip him something awful, liked it.

Last edited by BarbaraB; 02-04-2008 at 05:21 PM.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:16 PM   #12  
Plan 3 w/Lites

S/C/G: 255/245/175

Height: 5'9"

Plan ahead, plan ahead, plan ahead. Staples I kept on hand always have been 1% cottage cheese, eggs, turkey deli slices, Sara Lee Delightful 100% whole wheat bread, reduced fat Triscuits and Wheat Thins, string cheese, frozen fruit and light soy milk (smoothies have been my saving grace!), boneless skinless chicken breasts, fish & seafood, variety of veggies. Keep them at work too. It's time consuming at first but it doesn't take long before it's part of your daily routine.

Although soda is allowed, I find it gets in the way of my water intake so I phased it out nearly completely. I have maybe one or two a week.

I have found that the lites bars have been a welcome treat (although some don't suit my fancy).
spacystacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:17 PM   #13  
Plan 3 w/Lites

S/C/G: 255/245/175

Height: 5'9"

Oh, and weigh and measure everything!
spacystacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:41 AM   #14  

Polar you are "in the zone" as my super-healthy friend calls it. Roll w/ it!! It won't last forever so get as much out of this time as you can.

Wish2bthin2 - not too bad of a cheat there. At least you didn't go completely wild. I've definately done way more damage falling off plan! But it is very, very important to stay focused during this time. Your body is reprogramming itself and the more good work you do right now, the better things will go for you in the future.

You are definately doing all the right things by planning ahead. I did the same thing and find that I still do much better when I have already planned my food. I always planned my meals for the next day during my breaks at work. Sometimes I would plan out a couple of days in advance.

A little piece of advice......when you are packaging up your food, take a few seconds to pack a couple of extras so the next time you are eating that food it is ready to go and already portioned out for you. Makes things seem a little easier.

Rock on ladies!
Old 02-05-2008, 12:18 PM   #15  
JPS

S/C/G: 220/195/150

Height: 5'1.5"

What is LA Express? I am a PURE WL member that is now defunct. Interested in this LA Express...
Workinit is offline   Reply With Quote