Exercise Equipment Does it work? Share your experiences with exercise equipment here.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:45 PM   #1  
Supermom!

S/C/G: 289/283/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Treadmill in an apartment?

Ok I'm no skinny girl at 289 pounds and I live on the second floor with two rambunctious babies (3 and 1.) The lady underneath me works in the office days, so I'm wondering if I could get away with it but wanted to ask if anyone else had an experience with having a treadmill in an apartment. I know I'm probably just asking for trouble. I don't even know how I'd get it in here! LOL!
queenie467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:28 AM   #2  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

Talking

If you have a third and fourth story, a good way to gauge this is by listening for the movement of the people up above you or ask your land lord about the frequent sound complaints or what sort of materials you building is constructed from. I am going to take a guess here. At my old gym, which was two stories, the ONLY equipment that we could hear was the treadmills when set on fast paced or if someone was jogging. It was loud and had a hollow thump sound from shoes. The machine itself was silent. I am not sure if this helps, but it's a place to start.
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:37 AM   #3  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

I live in a 4th floor condo and I run on my treadmill. Granted it is an older bldg and I can tell the difference from living here and newer apts. When I lived in newer apts I could hear everything....Here the only thing I hear is a lot of construction. People renovating their units. Anyways my treadmill is on a mat and it's very cushioned. I also make sure I only get on it bw 11am-10pm. I haven't had any complaints and I weigh over 200lbs myself.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

I would recommend a mat under it and that should help a lot. As long as you kept it to normal hours I know I personally wouldn't complain. Obviously what would be normal for you would depend on you neighbors. I would try to keep to their schedule as much as possible. So if the downstairs neighbor works days that is when I would get on it.
zinkemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:47 PM   #5  
Supermom!

S/C/G: 289/283/130

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely going to look for one! Preferably one that folds! lol
queenie467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:03 AM   #6  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

I personally say if it's within daytime hours, then it's ok. I also think the mat will help noise-wise.
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:57 PM   #7  

Wish you lived upstairs from me

My upstaris neighbor ran her dryer with tennis shoes in it at midnight on a Sunday night a few weeks ago! Glad to hear that others are concerned about distrubing their neighors other than me.

I'm sure that if you used it when your neighbor was at work, should be no problem.

And again - thanks for being considerate of others in your apartment building.
LadyNascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #8  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

PLEASE Don't just think about normal or day time hours. Years ago I worked nights. The people who lived on both sides of me couldn't careless if they bothered me when I was trying to sleep. They sure cared if I made noise after I got off work.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #9  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie467 View Post
Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely going to look for one! Preferably one that folds! lol
I think most of them fold, but I am not really sure if you should plan on doing it on a regular basis. My treadmill weighs over 100 lbs (or around 100 lbs) and I was told (by the guys that delivered it and set it up) that usually the belt needs to be readjusted after every move. That's a lot of fiddling; but my main concern would be the ease of folding. Are you going to be doing it on your own? Test it in the store how easy it is.

Also, I was thinking, if you buy a piece of the thick foamy carpet padding (from Home Depot, etc.) that should absorb some noice. [edited to add: I meant noise]. :-)

Last edited by Tomato; 02-23-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote