Old 02-02-2008, 05:41 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #3

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining but there isn't much melting going on. We are supposed to get another round of rain, sleet, and snow starting tomorrow sometime, into Monday, and Tuesday. Bob is supposed to leave Monday night for a meeting in Des Moines on Tuesday. I hope they either cancel the meeting or the weather! I worked at the gift shop this morning; had two customers and I wasn't one of them today. I did read through a pile of magazines and donated them to the cart for patients and visitors. Two weeks from today we will be in Maui; I've been watching their weather and it hasn't been the greatest either -- rain and low 70s.

"Gma" -- I'm sorry about the broken window but glad that it would be tough for anyone else to get in your place. Did Fortune get upset with Jack trying to break the window? The sweater looks gorgeous! I love red!

I hear the dryer buzzing so need to keep moving. Hope you all have a nice day -- make it a great Sunday tomorrow.

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 02-02-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:22 PM   #2  

Good evening, ladies! 70 degrees today and sunshine. It was a good day so I took Stan to the barbershop and he got his much needed haircut. Then we went to the dollar store to get some valentines. After that we went to lunch. He slept for 4 hours this afternoon!

Faye, another beautiful sweater! It's good to know you can't easily get in by breaking a window...but didn't any of your neighbors think someone might be breaking in?

Jean, I'll keep the prayers coming for her. It doesn't sound good. Stan's foster mom had cancer of the pancreas that had spread to her stomach and liver. The doctor said it was one of the worst kinds because you have no pain until it is too late. When she was diagnosed she weighed about 275 pounds. She was down to 87 pounds when she died. This was a lady who loved to eat and she had a most miserable end not able to keep anything down. Hospice was wonderful and she was able to stay at home which is what she wanted. She lasted for 15 months - the doctor had said 6-9 months. The only good thing was she never had a great deal of pain.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:54 AM   #3  

Good morning ladies! It is going to be another beautiful day here. It has been gorgeous here the last two days, nice and warm and sunny yesterday. We enjoyed the day. We got the storm window put back in and did some shopping. We bought a lamp for the dining room as it has no ceiling lighting at all. We got home unpacked it and the glass shade was broken, trekked it back and exchanged it and this one is broken too. We will take it back and if I decide to try another one, I am going to take it out of the box before I leave the store.

I finished the carseat blanket. I think it came out nicely. The pattern is beautiful and it was really a snap to do. It looks much harder than it was. I am waiting for the yarn for the baby's sweater and hat and I just ordered some yarn for a pair of little bellbottoms to go with the sweater and hat and am waiting for it. In the meantime, I am going to start a sweater for my friend for her birthday, which isn't until August, but my hands would go nuts without needles and yarn in them!

Jean: I know you have to be chomping at the bit to get out of the cold and into that Maui sun. I had nagged Jack about getting an extra key hid somewhere but he never wanted to. Well, this changed his mind! We have two keys and I bought two more. I put one in my change purse part of my wallet, one in the garage and one in the car. This should allay any more lockouts. Our car has a keyless entry function so as long as we can remember what it is to punch it in, even if we can't get the garage key or the one in my purse we will have that one. Jack didn't want one in the garage as he said someone might get at it and the one in the car would be enough. I asked him what would I do if he was at work and I got locked out? He said I could get the key out of the car!! "Ummm, Jack, you would have the car!" So, he had to go along with what I wanted! It isn't in danger of being broken into. We have a garage door opener so you have no handle lock etc on the big door, the side door is inside the gate and is kept locked and we keep the gate locked all the time too.

Susan: Thank you for the nice compliment. I really did hate knitting that sweater. In this neighborhood, no one sees anything if you know what I mean. I was a little anxious about that too, but nada! Glad Stan is getting back to his old self. Jack needs a haircut too. He is beginning to look like a girl.

We went out to dinner at TFIF last night and everything was fine. I didn't eat a lot of my steak, about a 1/3 of my mashed potatoes, but felt fine. I came home and got into pjs, balanced my checkbook and sat at the computer reading some news etc. All of a sudden my throat was constricted and I couldn't get it to relax. I vomited into the sink most of my dinner. With the colon stuff I am nervous about what that amount of stress would cause so I yelled at Jack to come downstairs. I still don't know what caused it. My abdomen was and still is a bit sore from the vomiting, but I wasn't sick then and am not now. Weirdest thing I have ever experienced!

Well, I need to get going, get chores done and try and get some housecleaning done. I have to block the blanket so the ends won't curl too.

Have a wonderful Sunday.
Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blanketcloseup.jpg (37.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg babyblanket.jpg (40.1 KB, 7 views)
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:33 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is a cloudy, gloomy, damp kind of day in my neighborhood. We got up to fog and it is still foggy looking out towards the lake. We did go to church this morning. None of the assigned ushers showed up so Bob rounded up a couple of other volunteers and ushered again himself. I won't know how to act if we ever get to sit together again. We stopped at the grocery store on the way home; I needed a couple things but ended up with 4 bags and $48 later . . . Bob always finds things to put in the basket when I'm not looking.

I thought my oven was fixed and now it is doing the same thing it did before -- won't heat to the temperature I set. It isn't 5 years old and I'm getting a little frustrated after putting over a $100 in a part, a service call, and the labor to put the part in. Makes me growly!

Susan -- I am very worried about Anita. I guess the fact that she hasn't felt good for so long and the doctors couldn't find anything wrong makes me wonder why and how this could happen so fast. She was on the prayer chain at church this morning and I'm sure on a few others around town since the teachers are scattered in different churches. She will need all the prayers she can get. Thank you!

"Gma" -- Our neighbors have a key to our house and they leave their key on a top shelf in their garage. They don't lock their garage and never used to lock their house because they had 4 sons coming and going all the time. Once their kids were gone they did start to lock the door. We have outside key pads for the garage doors but if the electricity is off that doesn't help any either. The blanket is beautiful! How do you block your blankets? I've always taken mine to the cleaners and have them do it. I'm so sorry you got sick after eating out. You are right in that not feeling sick is weird!

I have laundry going so need to check on that -- should do some much needed ironing. Have a marvelous Monday tomorrow -- make it a great day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #5  

Good evening, ladies - a warm and sunny day today - 65 degrees. Did the usual laundry, housecleaning and grocery shopping after Mass.

Faye, I get that feeling every once in a while where my throat is closing andi can't eat. I think it has something to do with all the surgeries I've had on my intestines (4 blockages). The food seems to sit in my stomach and not digest. Then I throw up and everything is fine again. It happens about once a year so I don't worry about it. I tell you, though, if I get a stomach ache I'm worrying because that's how the blockages always start.

Jean, I hope you get a break from winter soon!
Old 02-04-2008, 08:09 AM   #6  

Good morning to you all! It is sure warm this morning. I have the ac on. Of course when I am in bed, I always have my little fan blowing on my head because my head sweats so badly but I had all the covers thrown off me on an off all night. We may end up taking the electric blanket right back off if this kind of weather continues. It is in the mid 60's right now and supposed to get into the 70's today and tomorrow then dip back into the upper 40's on Wednesday.

Susan: Thanks for the info. It was the strangest thing to just be sitting there and be fine and then all of a sudden feel like you are going to vomit. I tried slow breathing and swallowing, but eventually my little bit of dinner came up and then though my muscles were sore it was fine.

Jean: If I am doing sweaters, I wash them if they are washable, then block them by putting them on a hard surface covered in a towel and pin them into place. With the little blanket, I just pinned it into place and spray water from a spray bottle all over it making sure it was good and damp but not soaking and let it dry. I do hope they can find Anita's problem and fix her up. The poor thing must really be miserable. It seems like you have little symptoms here and there but once they diagnose you, you really feel horrible. I will continue to pray for her. Jack used to get stuck with ushering all the time too because people wouldn't show up or show up wear a sport shirt and didn't have a tie, etc.

My new yarn is a big flop. It is a cashmere blend, but low on the cashmere end. It knits up like chenille and I hated it, so I tore out what I had started and am sending all but one skein back. This particular online store makes you jump through hoops to send it back, but I have no use for it. It isn't something I need right away anyway and I have already picked out what I want to use to make her another sweater that is more ambitious.

Lots of work to do today so I better get started.
Faye
Old 02-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #7  

Good Morning, Flowers! No school for us today! I must say I am quite surprised because we are usually the last to call it off. Perhaps the fiasco from last week gave the "big guy" some food for thought! When I got up there were a few rain drops on the window and a half hour later it was covered with ice. We started with a two hour late start and about the time they called school off, the rain/ice drops were melting. I'm not sure if Bob's meeting is cancelled or not as they were having the same weather with some snow mixed in. Plans for the day are to find my summer clothes and see what fits and what doesn't.

Susan -- I'm waiting for the January thaw to come as it never made it in January!

"Gma" -- I'm sorry the yarn wasn't what you thought it would be. I've looked at cashmere sweaters, but never bought one because of the price and needing to be dry cleaned. Perhaps they are washable now but the price is still too high for me to justify buying one. Thanks for the blocking info; I guess I never thought about doing it myself.

Hope you all have a nice day -- you can make it a good one! I'm off to sort through clothes!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-05-2008, 07:52 AM   #8  

Good morning to you all! Boy it is warm here this morning. Won't last long, but it is nice while it is here even if it is raining. It is Super Tuesday here so we go out this afternoon and vote in the primary. I am disappointed because I am not thrilled with my choices left. I really liked Fred Thompson, but he came out too late and I don't think he got aggressive enough right off the bat. Ahh, well, I will decide by this afternoon.

Jean: Lion Brand have a cashmere that is more expensive and has a larger percentage of cashmere in it. When I looked back at it, the stuff they sent me had only 5%, which is nothing. Oh, with regards to the blocking. The proper way to block a sweater is to put it into a sink of water making sure it is completely wet. Take it out, lay it on and towel and jellyroll it to squeeze out the water. Do it again with a fresh towel and a third time if need be. You just want it damp not dripping, then pin it into the shape you want and let it dry.

I got all my grandkids stuff in the mail yesterday and I think we are going to have dinner with Kelly, Tom and Thomas on Friday. We want to talk to them about something and she is traveling for work like a demon so it is hard to catch up with her. Poor thing just got back from a week in Texas, leaves a week from tomorrow for 2 weeks in Alabama, is home a few days and off for another week and so on for several weeks. She says she is not sure whether she is still married or not. Poor Thomas! She also goes on these trips with all men but she is so fiesty she probably keeps them all in their place! She said we could have dinner Friday if Tom agreed. The little dog I bought Jackson is so cute. She is a floppy eared white dog with pink and red hearts all over her and red ribbons in her ears. I bought a barking thing to put in her paw and she barks and pants. I named her Sweet Pea. I am probably going to get into trouble, but I put a $20 bill in Thomas's card besides the other stuff I got him. We haven't been able to get a time lined up to take him for his two straight A report cards and we are coming up on a third one so I am trying to make up for it a bit. Mainly, I just like spoiling the little guys. I think it comes from the fact we can now afford it. We didn't have two nickels to rub together the whole time Jack was in the Navy or up until we moved down here 7 years ago actually, so now that we live better and can afford it, I get a kick out of being able to do things for people.

I bought the cutest paperbacks when I ordered T's stuff from Amazon the titles begin "Old age is...." They are about this bunch of retired people who have a detective agency and only do jobs for other retired people. The lead character is Jewish and they are cute books. The only problem was I couldn't get the first in the series.

I guess I better quit stalling and get the morning chores started and the house cleaned downstairs.

You all have a great Tuesday. Hope you have thawed out some Jean. Hopefully my apple green and cream yarn will be here today so I can start on the baby's sweater. Not having knitting to do everyday is driving me nuts.

Faye
Old 02-05-2008, 12:38 PM   #9  

Good morning - 75 degrees today! In a few days it will be back to 50's.

Faye, have you ever thought about using your leftover yarn to knit for charity? Some of my friends knit little caps and blankets for premies and another group does stuff for those with cancer. Our quilt guild does a service project every year. This year we are making quilts for the soldiers wounded in Iraq. We ship them directly to the hospital in Germany. So far we've sent 173 since September.

Jean, I'd love to send you a little of our lovely weather. Soon I'll be able to complain about how hot it is.

Poor Stan has been having an upset stomach, diahrea, and feeling weak. I'm afraid it's the flu since its been going around here. We have 2 out today (at work) with it. We had our flu shots but the paper said there was a strain that the shot didn't cover. Anyway, we have to go to the surgeon today to have his wound checked. The visiting nurse said it looks better.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:25 PM   #10  

Good Evening, Flowers! The wind is blowing and it is snowing this evening; it started about 5:00 and we are only supposed to get an inch. I'm sure the kids are hoping for another "no school" day tomorrow but I don't think that will happen any time soon. I donated blood after school and came home to 4 deer in my back yard eating bird/squirrel food that Bob puts in the birdbath during the winter. It doesn't take long for them to eat it all gone!

"Gma" -- I'm glad your Valentine gifts arrived in time for the big day. I addressed the cards last night; with our screwy mail service it takes longer for something to go a short distance than if I send it to the coast! They will be here Sunday to celebrate birthdays so will "treat" them then. I usually try to buy books along with something fun and not so much candy. I'm sick of watching politics on TV!

Susan -- I hope Stan is feeling better tonight. Having the flu is not fun under "normal" circumstances and he's had more than his fair share.

Hope you all have a nice evening. Tomorrow is wonderful Wednesday . . . make it a good one!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-06-2008, 05:49 AM   #11  

Good morning to you all! Boy we had some kind of weather yesterday. We went and voted around 3:45 then took some stuff over to Kelly's office, went by the post office and dropped of a package then decided to grab a bite at Chik-fil-et. The sky had turned dark and there was lightning behind clouds when we left. We ended up with lots and lots of tornados, one of which hit the mall just a mile from our house and boy what a mess that is now. We lost power most of the night so the house became hot. I ended up coming downstairs and sleeping in the recliner because it was too hot for me upstairs so of course Fortune had to sleep between my legs. I am now pooped and sore. It was pretty scary last night with the tornado sirens going from about 4:30 when we got home until around midnight. The winds were horrible between 60-70 mph so the back yard has all kinds of leaves from the neighbors' yards on the deck.

Susan: Yes, I have thought about knitting for charity. There are a lot to choose from. I have a friend that pretty much exclusively knits blankets for charity. Hope Stan's tummy gets to feeling better.

Jean: I am hoping we can arrange dinner on Friday night with the kids as we haven't seen Thomas since a couple days after Christmas. I do miss him. I stood in front of the voting machine yesterday and just stared for about a minute. The candidate I wanted dropped out as did my second choice so I was stuck with what was left. I decided to just be a good old wife and vote my husband's choice. I figured I couldn't go wrong that way!

I am going to go back up to bed for awhile. When the lights went. it was so pitch black in the house. Thank goodness I had enough brains to take a flashlight upstairs when we went to bed because it wasn't long after that the lights went out. I went and lighted a big jar candle in the bathroom so Jack could see if he needed to go to the bathroom then came down and put one on the washer so I could see if I needed to go.

Have a great Wednesday everyone!
Faye
Old 02-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #12  

Good Evening, Flowers! We ate supper late because I didn't get home until 7 from getting a perm. Now the evening is almost over and I haven't accomplished much except to pick up the kitchen. Oh well, tomorrow is a new day. I'm tired and ready to head off to bed after I decide what I'm wearing tomorrow.

"Gma" -- I saw some of the tornado damage on TV while I was waiting for my perm to process. I wondered if any were close to you . . . too close for comfort! I take it you don't have a basement to go to. Where would you go? When our sirens go off we head for the basement . . . well, at least I do. Bob stands and looks out the window to see what is happening. Years ago when the CB radios were so popular, he would sit in the car and listen to the truckers talking. I am so sick of politicians! "He said, she said, he lied, blah, blah, blah!"

I'm off to iron something to wear tomorrow and then head head to bed. Have a terrific Thursday tomorrow. Remember to smile!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 02-07-2008, 07:30 AM   #13  

Good morning to you all! Boy it turned chilly here yesterday. We went from AC back to heat. What a weird winter we have had. A lot of the schools over here in my area were out yesterday because of no power.

Jean: Don't you hate those days when you have plans to get something done and time just gets away from you? I too hate all the politicos. There isn't one that will stick to his guns right or wrong. They tell you what you want to hear instead of being honest about what they believe. I imagine when it is all said and done, we will still have a mess in this country no matter what party gets in or who controls what. No we don't have a basement. Most of the homes in Memphis don't have basements, actually. We can put ourselves in the area of the laundry room and bathroom. There are no windows in that area. Jack will peek outside to see what it looks like, but he doesn't stay out long.

I got my yarn for the baby's sweater and have about a 1/3 of it done. I decided to try and knit it on circs even though it is a piece pattern. It looks like it will easily work. I am not too fond of the cream color, but they didn't have white in the gauge I needed. It is a cotton blend yarn so it should be comfortable for a baby.

Not much else going on. I am counting down to my test and not looking forward to it on one hand, but wanting to get it over with on the other. Jack is taking his FMLA papers to the doctor's today to get them filled out so he can take sick time while I am in the hospital. This doctor charges $10 to fill them out! I guess I understand as it takes time away from patients and he is one busy doctor. He has office hours three days a week and surgeries on Monday and Wednesdays. It will be nice to have Jack there with me instead of being alone like I was last time. It wasn't his fault, he just didn't have the time to take off and didn't know about the fmla deal with the sick time.

Hope you gals have a nice day. Jean, don't you leave the end of next week for Maui??? I know you have to be looking forward to that.

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 02-07-2008 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:09 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining and there are some puddles around so that is good. . .sloppy but good. It's supposed to be -10 before the weekend is over. Today was a slow day at school -- lots of excused absences, MIAs, and AWOLs. Then they wonder how they get behind so quickly.

"Gma" -- What is the reason behind not having a basement? AZ doesn't have basements either . . . at least where MIL lives, because the ground is rock (?). By the way, she is back in the hospital in Tucson. Where they put the screws in her ankle started to ooze (?) so Bob's brother took her back down to her doctor there and he put her in the hospital. They took the screws out. She has been overdoing the pain pills at home, so is in pain because the nurses/doctors won't give her free rein in the hospital. She is not a happy camper! I bet the baby's sweater color will look nice once you get going on it. What do you want to guess but what the doctor's secretary/nurse fills out Jack's paperwork and rubber stamps his name on the dotted line? Do you have a definite date for your test yet? Just keep thinking it is one more step in the right direction and just a few hours of your time. I know having Jack there will be a comfort to you. We go to Omaha on the 15th and fly out Saturday morning. I am READY!

Susan -- Hope all is well with you and Stan.

For whatever reason my email is "stuck" and won't let any come in. Guess I will have to break down and call tech support. I hope it is something simple.

Have a nice evening and a fantastic Friday! Make it a GREAT day!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 02-07-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:40 AM   #15  

Good morning to you all! Boy, you should see the mess down by the mall. They have the main drag taped off and police cars blocking the road between the side streets that go past the mall because of the debris. I went to the post office to drop off Jackson's valentine's package and you should see the stuff all over the place, trees down, looks like insulation pieces everywhere in the trees, on the street, in the parking lot of the post office. I didn't realize what a mess it was. Jack didn't see any of it yesterday because when he went and mailed the stuff it was in the dark.

Jean: My enema test is a week from Monday. I will be glad just to get it over with at this point. From what I understand it won't take too long. I hope that is the situation. I can't get the nurse at the surgeon's to call me back. They told me that I have to drink lots of water after the test so the barium comes out of my stoma as the stuff turns hard if you don't. Well, I wondered about the other end since the water can't get to it. I wanted to ask her if I should do another regular enema to clean out the barium or if they do flushing or something at the hospital. I hate not to know everything that is going to happen beforehand.

It is going to be near 60 today and sunny which is nice. I am running a few errands and going to try and make my eye appt so I can get new contacts. I am wearing my last pair and we had to change dr because the city changed vision plans. I loved my eye doctor but he doesn't take this crappy new plan. I have to go of all places WALMERT! Oh well, I can muddle through I guess. I just need the lenses.

I have the body of the sweater knit. This is the color combination. It turned out ok, actually. I am going to knit both the sleeves at the same time to speed things up a bit. The sweater turned out fine putting it on circs and knitting in the round instead of in pieces. The worst part is the neckline. I hate doing the neckline of sweaters.

Well, I need to go. I have lots to do today and we are supposed to meet Kelly and family this evening for dinner at Red Robin. I am looking forward to seeing the little guy and giving him his Valentine's gifts.

Have a great Friday and a wonderful weekend. Count down for you, Jean......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg applegreen.jpg (45.8 KB, 8 views)