Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-03-2008, 09:41 AM   #1  
300+ Chick

Cool Scale Confession

Hello Ladies,

This month of doing my darnest on not being a slave to the scale. I been peeking on the scale more than once last month and it was making me insane!! and so much mind boggling.

So, I am here to stay and say I will be a monthly weigher.I did not get on the scale on Saturday, but do admit, have the urge on peeking..

Question.. For those who weigh in monthly.. What do you do of things of not peeking in the scale? I have a doctors scale that is in the downstairs porch and I truly promise myself and family on not being a slave to it anymore till every month.

Any feedbacks would be grateful.. Thank you..
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #2  

Wow, once a month, I'm too scale-obsessed to do that!! Awesome for you. I'm trying to get it down to once a week weigh-in on Monday's, that way I can't let the weekends slide and over do it. I used to weigh probably 10 times a day but now I still weigh in the morning every day but try not to let it really affect my day. I'm working toward once a month myself. If I get too obsessed with it, I have my husband hide them from me -- kind of childish I guess, but it works.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

We each must find what works for ourselves, that's for sure.

And once a month just would not work for me. I've finally learned that the scale is not the enemy. The whole time it WAS/IS me that was my own worst enemy. The scale is just a method we use to weigh ourselves. To see how much of us there is. WE dictate what we weigh. We can't control it down to the last ounce, but for the most part we DO control what it says. Now that being said, that little piece of equipment WILL fluctuate from time to time, well actually again, it's our BODIES that will fluctuate from time to time. It's next to impossible for it to stay the same on any two given days. There's lots of stuff that that scale needs to weigh - hair, muscle, organs, blood, water, bones and yes - FAT. And that changes on a daily basis.

So yes, I've learned to not let those fluctuations get to me. I've learned to use that scale as a guide and a reminder to keep with the program. To stay on track. It's one of the many tools I use to stay healthy. It's not always the best tool, but it's the only one we've got that will measure me quickly and let me know what's going on with my body. If I've eaten well and it goes up, so be it. Chances are it'll come back down with in a day or so. If I've eaten poorly and it goes up - no shock there. If I've eaten poorly and it doesn't go up, well then I got lucky and chances are if I continue in that vein, it WILL go up. Because I control the what the scale says, for the most part.

Liliann, if you want to peek - well then why not peek? If it's a "good" number, isn't that motivating and rewarding? Won't it help you to stay with your program even stronger? If it's not such a "good" number, well then isn't that a kind of nudge to perhaps shake things up a bit? To stay stronger on plan? A reality check of sorts? Maybe, just maybe one month is a bit long? But then again, maybe not. You of course are the only who knows what's what's best for YOU. Whatever it is you decide upon, and of course that can always be changed, I wish you TONS and TONS of good luck.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:12 AM   #4  
300+ Chick

Thank you Shelby and rockinRobin of your input.. Am grateful!
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #5  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Lillian, I actually don't have any suggestions on how to keep from weighing every month. Actually, I can only second what Robin said, and she said it all so much better than I could have. Like Robin, what worked for me is WEIGHING. Not weighing was the wrong answer for me. That's how I got to 346 pounds. I know that I will have to weigh everyday (or close to everyday) for the rest of my life to keep control of my weight. It was very motivating, especially in the beginning, to see my weight and to see my losses. I learned quickly that fluctuations were very normal! And as Robin said, we really do have control of our weight, for the most part. For years and years I thought I had no control, I thought it would just continue going up and up and up. But in reality I had complete control. It just required that I take that control.

I hope you find what works for you!
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #6  

I never thought of keeping a graph -- however I have seen quite a few people on here who do. If I'm going to weigh every day anyway, maybe I can put it to use.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote