Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:34 PM   #1  
BLUE team

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Height: 5'7''

Default Too much dairy?

I'm not sure where this should go, so I picked here since you all have so much knowledge (but feel free to move if there is a more appropriate place). I'm confused about dairy. Can you have too much? I always figured it was healthy but now I am not so sure, what do you all think? I ususally have 1-2 cups of 0% milk, 1-3 servings of cheese, and 3-4 servings of nonfat yogurt. I get organic most of the time. Am I jeopardizing my health in any way by eating this much dairy? It is all incorporated into my daily calories, so I am not worried about it in terms of gaining weight. Thanks!
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:47 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Honestly,

It depends who you ask. I read a couple books (China Study and Eat to Live) which say based on studies dairy is very bad for your health, possibly one of the worst things to eat. Linked heavily to type I diabetes in children as well as certain types of cancers. It also may have calcium in it but it also leeches calcium from your bones and there are much better sources of calcium.

Of course the dairy industry has done their own studies and say dairy helps you lose weight...

Personally, I never plan to touch dairy again.

Last edited by nelie; 02-02-2008 at 09:49 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

My thought is that perhaps you might be lacking in other nutrients because you are eating that much dairy versus other things like whole grains, vegetables, and fruit.

I think that the research out there is confusing, although I don't buy into what the dairy industry has sponsored. I've also seen some research that suggests that dairy isn't bad, but conventional pasteurized dairy is. I don't think it's necessary for a healthy diet, but I personally eat certain types of dairy.

I eat yogurt and some cheese and most days I end up with my RDA of calcium from my diet. I usually only eat 1-2 servings of dairy per day.

Last edited by zenor77; 02-02-2008 at 10:04 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I'm with zenor: the bigger issue is that you're making a trade-off in favor of dairy over other healthy foods. Cutting down on some of the dairy for more veggies or whole grains or protein probably would be a reasonable idea.

I like dairy though. I drink milk a couple of times a week and usually have a bit of cheese and yogurt each day. I haven't read any studies, but I figure, all things in moderation...
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #5  
BLUE team

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Height: 5'7''

Thank you for your opinions. I will start cutting back a bit and replacing with healthier foods.
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #6  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Honestly,

It depends who you ask. I read a couple books (China Study and Eat to Live) which say based on studies dairy is very bad for your health, possibly one of the worst things to eat. Linked heavily to type I diabetes in children as well as certain types of cancers. It also may have calcium in it but it also leeches calcium from your bones and there are much better sources of calcium.

Of course the dairy industry has done their own studies and say dairy helps you lose weight...

Personally, I never plan to touch dairy again.

My sentiments exactly.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote