Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-02-2008, 09:15 AM   #1  
soon to be a SkinnyDipper

S/C/G: 256/232/139

Height: 5'4"

Default Am I going to embarrass myself?

Good-morning everyone! I joined the gym yesterday and I was thinking of taking a yoga class they offer. Seriously now, do you think I should wait till I'm smaller to go? Am I going to embarrass myself ? lol

Thanks
ChunkyDunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #2  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

No! Go, by all means. And remind yourself, if you feel intimidated, that many of those 'skinny' women (and men!) there may have started out overweight... and even if they didn't they have to work hard to stay slim!

Waiting is hiding. I used to be the queen of that. Go, enjoy the class, focus on all the good things that you are doing for YOU!
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #3  

No, go and enjoy the class. I think you will like it. Trust me, the whole class is watching the teacher, not you -- However, I do tend to sit in the back, behind everyone, to avoid my false perceptions of being watched. I also realized something kind of cool the other day -- my skinny friend and I went to an aerobics class and I could do more than she could -- who would have ever thought!! Being thin doesn't automatically mean you are in shape.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I second the other Heather -- GO!! I really enjoy my yoga class, even though I'm not all that flexible and can't do a lot of the moves. The instructors generally show you more and less advanced versions.

What's fun is I HAVE improved! And there are things I can do pretty well. It seems all of us have some strong points.

Go and enjoy what your body can do!!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:04 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/165/150

Height: 5"6'

Go! Everyone looks silly doing yoga, but you're all doing it together.

At my gym all the yoga instructors are great. If you're having trouble with a position, they'll show you an alternate one. I always feel great afterwards, it stretches out muscles you don't use enough having a desk job.
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:05 AM   #6  
Better,Faster,Stronger

S/C/G: 275/ticker/175

Height: 5'9

you should absolutely go! You have every right to be there like anyone else...dont be embarassed cause youre all there for the same purpose right?
Keldug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:13 AM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Yoga is so good! But if you've never done it before, a few cautions:

- you won't be able to do all the stretches. Do not try to force yourself--this could lead to injury.
- some positions, like sitting on the floor cross-legged, may be impossible for you. Again, don't try to do them. Ask your teacher if there is an alternative you could do. A good teacher will know other options.
- Remember that this is not like high school gym class--in yoga you do not push for as far as you can go. The emphasis is on holding a position and relaxing and breathing. If you are straining or holding your breath, this isn't correct.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #8  
mmm nutella

S/C/G: 177/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 5 1/2"

GO!

How would you get small enough to feel like you could go if you didn't partake in activities like this?
hotnewspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:42 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I used to go to yoga... at my highest weight (350/360s). I haven't gone in a while but I do it sometimes at home.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:30 PM   #10  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Why should you be embarrassed? I took yoga, probably around 220...somewhere in that area. I was thinking I could never do some of the poses she showed me and the instructor assured me that it had nothing to do with weight but with your flexibility. Yoga wasn't for me though...too slow paced for my blood. But for the short time I took it, it truly did improve my flexibility, and my balance.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #11  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Go!!!! Skinny is not a pre-req for yoga! A decent yoga instructor will help you modify moves to accommodate your needs. That is part of yoga Regardless of weight, any beginner may have to modify, and I've been doing yoga for years and there are some poses I modify to accommodate my ankles. Yoga is not about the achieving, its about the doing
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #12  
soon to be a SkinnyDipper

S/C/G: 256/232/139

Thanks so much everyone I think I'll give it a go!
ChunkyDunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:33 PM   #13  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Chunky, go up to the goals section and read Meg's story. She talks about her "fateful day she went to the gym". It is awe inspiring.

Go to your class. Also, since you are new, are you measuring yourself? I think you might have a pleasant surprise for yourself after you start yoga.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #14  

Height: 5'3"

go. 1. you don't need to alter what you do because you are afraid of what other people think 2. show them that big girls work out too

you'll feel better if you do
beautybooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:21 AM   #15  
Strong on the inside

S/C/G: 197/197/145 HW: 233

You should definitely go! Most yoga classes I've been to are a little intimidating at first, but after the first 5 minutes, you realize that you're so focused on what you're doing that you wouldn't even notice if everyone else in the room was staring at you. And what's more, they're all so focused, they don't have time to pay attention to you, either!
aerotigergirl is offline   Reply With Quote