South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-30-2008, 11:44 PM   #1  

Default Black Bean Brownies

I know this has been discussed several times, but I really want to get this right. I followed the directions for the Phase I brownies from the post at http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58277 .
I put them in the blender, and baked them as instructed. Now, I am not a baker, but I can follow directions. So, I am thinking I need someone else's suggestions or advice.

The problem: very dry, bitter, and bland. I don't know if I should have pulled them out a few minutes earlier. I honestly don't know how to tell if they are done or not. Could the bitter be coming from my cocoa powder? I used Ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa powder. Splenda is ok. But that wasn't really the bitterness.

I know I have seen several people comment on loving them and hating them. I wonder if this is a love or hate recipe??? I would love to figure it out. It is making me crazy
TechieGrrl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 268/258/165

Height: 5' 8"

I haven't been brave enough to try this recipe yet.. I love black beans, but as like a meal, I've never thought about them in a dessert.. Very interesting. I am, however, looking for a flourless SB friendly brownie and or chocolate cake recipe... Cause, as all you girls out there probably know, I'm craving chocolate somethin feirce!! LOL
Phoebe7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:51 AM   #3  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

I have been tinkering with this recipe for a couple months now and am getting close to a "real" brownie. Unfortunately, we are currently out of dry milk powder and we're moving in six days so I'm not going to buy any right now (we're moving from Korea to Germany, via New Jersey, so it's not right around the corner or anything!). If you do a search of "black bean brownies", though, you'll probably come up with some of my recipes.

Kara

Edited to add: I searched and couldn't find my alterations, but off the top of my head I remember using four egg whites, 1/2 cup of dry milk, chopped up sugar-free chocolates, more vanilla than the recipe called for, and 1/4 cup of cocoa I believe. I used DaVinci sugar-free vanilla syrup in place of the Splenda as well. I don't remember if that's all the ingredients or not. Oh! I used white beans instead of black in my second and third attempts and that was much better. There was also something about baking powder and baking soda. Maybe a teaspoon and a half of powder and half a teaspoon of soda? That batch came out more cakey.

Hope that helps! I'll get back on it soon.

Last edited by tomandkara; 01-31-2008 at 02:59 AM.
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:24 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I do think the Black Bean Brownies are a love/hate type of recipe. I really like them, but they do need a bit of Cool Whip on them. Mine have never came out dry, could it be that you over baked them? The texture should be cake-like when they're done. Try adding a tablespoon of unsweetened applesauce to them, that makes them moister, too.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:15 PM   #5  

Height: 5' 7"

I tried it and hated it, same with the Ricotta desserts that Dr. A raves about, I think we all have different tastes.
Pearlrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:19 PM   #6  

Thank you for all the responses. I think I will try it again with the white beans, and try using sf syrup instead of the Splenda. That might be what made them so bitter. I bet I did overcook them since they were so dry. I will try to cook them 25 minutes and then test them for being done.
TechieGrrl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:10 AM   #7  
Visualizing the Goal

The sugar-free DaVinci syrups are sweetened with Splenda, but for some reason that taste doesn't bother me. If you bake something with granular Splenda, though, that's a good way to keep my little paws off it because I can't stand the aftertaste. I don't know what the difference is...

My second batch of brownies came out really fudgy (without the baking powder and about 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda). They were MUCH better the second and even third day, but after that they started to turn. (Our refrigeration here isn't very good, though, so they might last longer in an American fridge.) I would definitely recommend adding chunks of sugar-free chocolate or nuts to the recipe, though.

Kara
Old 02-01-2008, 08:32 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

I think all the bean baking recipes are love 'em or hate 'em. I've tried these once, and they came out too thin and dry and crumbly. But they had a nice chocolatey taste, and I will try them again some time, with a smaller pan, and cook for a shorter period of time. I am waiting for Kara to perfect them and tell me what to do.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:26 AM   #9  
Visualizing the Goal

I'm working on it!!! Gotta get the test kitchen in order.

Kara
Old 02-01-2008, 08:17 PM   #10  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Ok, I decided it was time to try this one out. And you know me, I had to tweak. I found a recipe online that called for 1/2 cup of splenda and I thought it would have that icky aftertaste. So I used a 1/4 cup of splenda and a 1/4 cup of caramel sugar free syrup (Monin O'Free). It took longer to bake than the 1/2 hour the recipe called for, but my oven has been a bit "off" lately, so I just kept checking it till it started to "crack" on the top. I also added pecans. When it was ready, I tried it and it was good, but just not sweet enough for me. I didn't want to add more splenda and more syrup might make it runny. Then I spied the agave necter on the counter and thought "aha!", so I drizzled a bit on top of a brownie, got a little glass of milk and I think it's really good. Kind of "fluffy, cakey"

Here's the recipe:
15oz can black beans (drained & rinsed well)
4 large eggs
1/4 cup granulated Splenda
1/4 cup of SF flavored syrup (like vanilla or caramel. I used Monin O'Free caramel.)
3 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp strong coffee
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp light olive oil
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350*F.
Prepare an 8x8 baking pan by spraying it with cooking spray.
Mix all ingredients in a food processor or blender.
Add the beans last and make sure you blend VERY well.
Bake for 30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool before slicing.
Add a little agave necter on top if not sweet enough

Last edited by femmecreole; 02-01-2008 at 08:18 PM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote