Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-31-2008, 10:38 PM   #1  
making progress again!

S/C/G: 210/208.4/170

Height: 5'8"

Default Great Idea!

I just wanted to share a mini-success that I had. I am a teacher at a local high school and our school district is focused on wellness right now. The rival high school challenged our staff to a "biggest loser" (like the TV show) competition. We weigh in every week between Jan 23 and May 1, there are mini incentives along the way and over 50 people from each school signed up! I am so proud of our school for doing this and so many people being interested in becoming healthier. It has provided me with incredible motivation, now when I see that cookie I think "I don't want to let my whole school down". I lost 7.5 lb in the first week!!! I am so proud of myself. I wanted to share what a great motivator this competition has been. Maybe some of you could adapt it to fit your own professions or social groups.

Stay strong!
mamatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 235/228/199

Height: 5'3

Ooooh! I don't think my school would go for that, but we have a theme this year of "building healthier communities," which includes healthier bodies. Maybe I should suggest this.
emmyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #3  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

toni!!!
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:30 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

What an awesome idea... You must have very large schools to be able to recruit 50 teachers from each school?...

Great work, keep it up ... Keep us posted on your progress too
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:43 PM   #5  

WTG! I am doing a competition with my job, too. But my numbers haven't been as good as that!!! Congrats!
CindiRella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

thats a great idea, I'm a college student so that isn't practical for me. Awhile back I did weight watchers and simple having a stranger weigh me weekly was huge motivation. Getting weighed in frount of my peers would be insane motivation.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:54 PM   #7  
making progress again!

S/C/G: 210/208.4/170

Height: 5'8"

thanks for the feedback guys, I think the massive success is due to it being the first week that I was back really trying to stay on track. I doubt this week will be such a decrease, but I still am excited to have this motivation. The snacking surrounding superbowl will be tough to overcome today...

Good Luck to all.

Toni
mamatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:32 PM   #8  
Buzzy little bee

S/C/G: 203/174/153

Height: 5ft 6

What a good idea -well done with the weight loss so far.

Boo X x
DeliciousBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

I watched the Biggest Loser the other night and it inspired me to do a month long bootcamp, I set up a mini challenge in the Chicks up for a Challenge. Just trying to rev it up for the month, and stay in boot camp mode mentality. But I think the weight loss and program on the show is quite extreme for the "real world" and most contestants on the show admit that. It's hard to stay that focused in the real world. A "live" competition like you are doing sounds good, for motivation and support. I read however that at some schools it can be political, a principle in Wyoming ended up on national tv for sending out newsletters about how "fat" his school was, and he set up a program for heavy kids. Parents were upset about it I think because of the tone of his letters home. Kids today are heavier then ever, and personally I think it would be helpful if schools addressed weight loss and exercise in a "fun" way. Sadly many schools have tight budget and have cut out PE an some sports just when kids need the exercise the most.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote