South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-31-2008, 07:19 PM   #1  

Default dropping pant size

I have been on the sbd since Nov.28 and have lost 20lbs. now. The weight loss has slowed way down and fluctuates. Down a lb. up 2 lbs. Is this normal? Also, they say you should go down a pant size for every 20lbs. but I haven't went down one yet. Oh, my pants are loose everywhere starting to sag, everywhere but the waist. Any help or ideas?
Chaotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:40 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
Also, they say you should go down a pant size for every 20lbs. but I haven't went down one yet.
I don't know who "they" are, but they're wrong How many pounds it takes for someone to go down a pant size is VERY highly individual and depends on a LOT of factors. For example, if I lose 20 pounds from 320 to 300, ain't a chance I'll go down a size! But someone who starts at 150 and gets to 130 probably will lose multiple sizes. 20 pounds isn't the same percentage for everyone--won't make a dent on me, but could be from start to goal for someone else. Also, it depends on height, body composition, what kind of exercise you're doing (building muscle will make you smaller without losing as many pounds, whereas doing only cardio won't build the muscle, so you'll have to lose more on the scale to see a difference in size), etc.

If your pants are looser, then you're doing something right--keep up the good work!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Chaotic! You're doing very well! It's pretty normal to lose weight quickly at first on the SBD, then have it fluctuate after that. It can get fustrating, but slow and easy is the key to keeping the weight off. Congratulations on the looser pants! Be patient, in time you'll be needing to buy a smaller size.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'4"

everyone's body is different when it comes to sizing...especially with women's clothing being that sizes are all over the board.
some people lose a size every 20lbs, some lose a size every 10, some people can lose 50lbs and barely be into another clothing size.
i personally have been losing a size every 10-15lbs (from a 22 to a 10) but i've tried on 8s at some stores and i feel as if i'm going to have to lose about 30lbs to get there, even though some 10s are loose on me the same style in an 8 is horribly small.
cuts are different everywhere, sizes are all over the board.. i would say to go try some clothes on at a store, you might be pleasantly surprised. even though i'm technically in a 10 right now, i've found not the biggest difference in 10s to 12s to 14s (which is saving me a lot of $$ on clothes) .. i'm having a much harder time with tops.. pants i will wear until they're falling down around my ankles, but i feel like i'm swimming in all of my shirts and i've really only gone from an xl to a large, sometimes a medium.
karmuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:25 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

It is very normal for your weight loss to slow. But you might want to start journaling your food and take a hard look at what you are eating and where you can tweak things. Counting calories for a while might help too. How is your exercise?

As for pants size, wouldn't you think that after 50 lbs., I wouldn't be able to wear the same pants I was wearing to start with? But I still have a pair of my old jeans, and I wear them when my new ones are in the wash. I have gone down 6 sizes, but the old ones don't fall down, I don't need a belt. They are baggy, but they still work. I think that's weird. I didn't have to buy new stuff until after the first 35 lbs. And Old Navy thinks I am still the same size as when I started. Sizes are just weird.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:47 AM   #6  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

Even with the fluctuations of my weight I still wear a 14 or 16 pants. I started in a 18 or 20 but I have lost at last check 15.5 inches all over adn I think inches make a big diiference
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:50 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 222/=ticker=/150

Height: 5'7"

Congrats on the 20lbs! Soon you will be able to get a new pair of pants.
Sizes are funny though. I think it's because the pants are mass produced. You can buy the same size and the same style of jeans and both pairs will be two different sizes. I remember reading on another post that large retailers are infamous for this. When they are cutting the material they cut so many at the same time that the ones one the top of the pile and the ones on the bottom are different sizes but still labeled the same. I think Karmuz is right, you should go and try on some clothes. If you are one of those people like me who don't like trying on clothes in stores buy and return.
browneyedgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:28 AM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Just to maybe make you feel a little better, I'll share my story of the last time I lost a chunk of weight. I started at about 305 and was in a somewhat tight plus sized 22. I exercised and dieted my way down to 264, so more than 40 pounds lost, and I was wearing a size...wait for it...22. It wasn't even a LOOSE 22--just a normal-fitting 22. Don't do what I did and give up in a fit of frustration and end up gaining it all back plus another 15 pounds Once those first pesky sizes start to drop, future size drops typically take fewer pounds lost to reach, so getting over that hump of the first size decrease is a frustrating but important step.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 218/212/160

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for sharing your stories. I am just getting started and not too concerned at this point about changing sizes because I am not yet prepared to spend a bunch of money on a new wardrobe. HA!

I agree with the others, though. This is going to vary greatly. I think the pounds I have lost so far are all off my neck and face, so that surely won't affect my pants size. HA!
only1naked is offline   Reply With Quote