Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2001, 05:47 AM   #1  

Hi everyone,

I have been posting on this site since last summer and have found it very useful in my weight loss. A group I used to post with daily kind of broke up over the holidays and hasn't quite come back together. I am looking for people to post daily with for support and motivation.

I am not following any plan just doing my own thing. I have lost 40 pounds since June putting my current weight at 210. My goal is 160.

I am 27 years old, married, and a college student. My major is interior design.

I really would like to start a small group who want to post daily. Since I don't follow a plan I need that daily accountability. Lately I have been lacking the motivation I need. I'm tired of plateauing at this weight and I know I just need a little boost.

gina

250/210/160

Old 02-20-2001, 09:34 AM   #2  
Water Dragon

Hi! I think that sounds like a wonderful idea! I'm basically doing the same, but I have trouble getting motivated to get up and exercise. I go through spurts!

------------------
Love, Luck, & Lolipops

185/179/135
Old 02-20-2001, 09:59 AM   #3  

Hi! This is my first time here at this site but so far it looks very interesting. I too need some support in my weight loss efforts. I'm 25, also married and I would like to lose 25 pounds. That would put me at my ideal weight - if I could just get up the motivation to go for it. I'd love to post daily updating each other on our daily efforts towards weight loss (or our daily failures) I do have those days too. Hope to hear from you!
Old 02-20-2001, 10:54 AM   #4  

I was so happy to see some responses!!

I was wondering if you are following a plan or doing your own thing. I don't follow a plan, but count calories and fat. Basically I am trying to teach myself how to eat for the rest of my life so I do not have to do this again!

Pixies, are you just getting started or have you lost some to date?

Twitchycat, love how you sign off. I usually sign love and luck. Pretty similar!

Well, let's get this started by posting as often as possible to provide each other with support. Anyone else who wants to join is very much welcome to!

I've actually been doing very well the last couple of days. I've exercised 3 days in a row now.

Can't wait to hear more from you guys.

love and luck,
gina

250/210/160
Old 02-20-2001, 10:10 PM   #5  

I'm just getting started, and I don't plan on following a strict diet. I'm going to watch my fat intake, and I'm going to try to cut out alot of my sugar. I love pepsi - it's my downfall and I know it's where alot of my calories come from. I'm in college too and here where I go to school students have to pass a swim qualification as a physical education requirement. I can't bear the thought of standing beside some of these other girls in a swimsuit. You know how most college girls are young and slim. I'm not that overweight, but I feel like a blob around them.
This afternoon I'm going to walk for 45 minutes and for dinner I'll have a salad - no pepsi! I look forward to hearing more about you and your success. If you get a chance you might want to visit Oprah.com she has a health and fitness site that has some really great tips for continuing health even after losing the pounds. Bye!
Old 02-21-2001, 06:09 AM   #6  

Pixies,

I felt the same way when I first came to college about all the skinny young girls. The first few months I hated all of them!! So I can't imagine having to put on a bathing suit next to them. That is one of my goals also is to wear a bathing suit again. My husband maybe has seen me in one twice. I just feel I miss out on so much when I won't put on one.

When I first came to college I really wanted to get in shape and take advantage of the brand new wellness center. It took me over a year to build up the courage to go and face all those thin girls. But once it wasn't that bad. Now I use them as my motivation!

I was so bummed this morning when I weighed myself. Despite all my hard work the last few days, somehow I managed to gain 2 pounds!! My husband told me there is no way I gained 2 pounds and must be retaining water (before we married he had no idea what that meant--lol) It made me feel a little better.

Well take care and stay away from that Pepsi!! I have the same addiction with diet coke. Although it doesn't have the calories it sure makes me bloated. I try to force myself to drink water, but it is so hard sometimes.

Hope to hear from you all soon. Anyone else want to join us in our quest to thinness??

love and luck,
gina

Old 02-21-2001, 08:13 AM   #7  

Sorry about the two pounds, but that's no reason to be discouraged. It may have been water weight, but it might be that you're gaining muscle. It's so great that you have worked out three days straight, I've always been told that muscle weighs more that fat so maybe that's the deal. Either way you're going to do great, the pounds will melt away -your committment to succeed will be the fuel for the fire. I'm going to try and be as faithful to exercising as you are. I walked this afternoon and I plan to do it again in the morning. Keep your chin up! Things are only going to get better!
Old 02-23-2001, 11:08 AM   #8  
Water Dragon

Hey girls. Sorry to hear about that two pounds, but like pixies said, maybe it's muscle. Have you tried measuring yourself to see a dif as well? That is where you usually see it firse, is in the inches, not the scale. My downfall of course, is sweets in general, chocolate in particular. It's an addiction!
Old 02-25-2001, 10:26 AM   #9  
Water Dragon

I'm feeling pretty good today. I got out and walked during my break. It's the first exercise I've gotten in a long time! Now that the weather's nice, I'm going to try to do it more often.

------------------
Love, Luck, & Lolipops

185/179/135
Old 02-26-2001, 01:29 AM   #10  

Hi girls,

The two pounds were gone the next day. I'm sure just water weight. Thankfully! I am doing really well especially with water and exercising. Still holding at the same weight. Hopefully I will start losing soon!

Twitchycat, my downfall is sweets also. I never could get enough chocolate. I do pretty well now on holding back and try to find ways of getting chocolate without as much fat and calories.

I wish our weather was nice enough to walk. I am from Iowa and it has been so cold here this winter with tons of snow. I can't wait for spring. I felt my best last summer and fall when I was walking 4 miles everyday.

Well, take care. Hope you had a good weekend.

love and luck,
gina

250/210/160

Old 02-26-2001, 03:06 AM   #11  

Hey, my bestfriend lives in Iowa. She lives in Muscatine. Fortunately for her, she doesn't have a pound to lose so she isn't my ideal weight loss partner. She offers support, but doesn't really know how hard it can be to lose weight.

I've been exercising every day, no more excuses. (Although my shins hurt like crazy)
I'm gonna keep going and hope you guys do the same. It's past time I did something about my weight and my self-esteem. I'm sure with the extra pounds gone, my esteem will rise considerably. I'm ready to feel good again!

Keep posting on your progress guys! Before long we'll all be posting on the "Success" board.

[This message has been edited by pixies (edited 02-25-2001).]
Old 03-01-2001, 02:03 AM   #12  

Can I play too?
I'm 24, college student majoring in Classics, very unmarried but I have a charming young man that hangs around. So I'm also drifting without a solid plan but a lot of good ideas. I read a lot of health magazines for motivation and try to walk outside or ride my stationary bike a little every day. I also lift weights (very occassionally) and do yoga.
I actually eat pretty well most of time but portion control is a big deal for me as well as stress. I work nights alone and my co-workers keep a very well stocked snack drawer full of chips and cookies. Once a have one wee lil' chip it's all downhill, so I lock the drawer as soon as they all leave. However, sometimes I unlock it later in the evening. When I get home around nine pm, after work and classes I get really self-indulgent and luxurious and usually decompress with food. I'm working on it.
I haven't weighed myself in about a year, but I'm pretty sure I'm holding steady around 200 lbs. I still fit very well into the clothes I bought when I knew for a fact I was 200, anyway.
My goal is health and energy but a cute bod wouldn't kill me. I was healthy and energetic at 150 and that's my goal. 50 lbs seems like a whole lotta weight to lose and I get really discouraged some days, as if it's uterly impossible to make it happen but I'm glad to have this resource.
Thanks for sharing about yourselves, looking forward to knowing you better.
We just had an earthquake here in Seattle, a 6.4 about an hour ago. There are still fifty or so people trapped in the top of the space Needle. I'm scared to stay inside, because of aftershocks, but I certainly doh't want to get stuck outside either. I'm hopping on the stationary bike until I can calm down.
Wish me luck!
Old 03-01-2001, 05:32 AM   #13  

Slinko,

Welcome!! I can't imagine an earthquake!! My husband and I are planning on going to San Diego for Spring Break and he was just saying yesterday wouldn't it be "cool" if an earthquake happened while we were there. NO! That would not be cool!LOL

I too have a huge problem with portion control. I usually eat healthy stuff, just a lot of it. And like you once I get started eating something I have a hard time stopping.

I'm not sure if you read Self Magazine, but I have decided to do the challenge they posed in this months issue. It lasts for 3 months and you have to do so much cardio, strength training,and stretching along with eating right. Anyone else thinking of trying it??

Otherwise I have done really well this week and last. The other night I saw muscle definition in my legs for the first time. Wonderful feeling.

Take care all and welcome again Slinko! Be careful out there!

love and luck,
gina

250/210/160

Old 03-01-2001, 12:41 PM   #14  
Water Dragon

Well Slinko I'm glad to hear you're okay! I work in WV making airling reservations, and as soon as I got to work today at 4p I heard you guys had had an earthquake. They close up Sea-Tac of course and it's been kind of a harry day today with people trying to reschedule and us not know when everything's going back to "normal".
Speaking of work, I managed to get in a little walking on my break. Only 15min, but something is better than nothing, so I'm happy. I made a resolution for the day that I was trying to go all day with no pop or chocolate. The pop's not so much the problem, it's the chocolate really. But I did it, and I'm so proud of myself. I don't know if I can do it 2 days in a row, but at least I made it one day!!

------------------
Love, Luck, & Lolipops

185/184/135
Old 03-01-2001, 01:16 PM   #15  

Thanks for your well wishes. Me and all my family and friends are fine.
I made it through a very stressful night at work without breaking into the snack drawer, A little victory. I put in ten miles on the bike powered by adrenaline, all the while looking out the window and watching the trees for signs of aftershock! I feel really good though, considering how this day could've turned out.
I just picked up SELF today, in fact, but I haven't looked at the challenge yet. I'll let you know if I'm going to take the plunge. I wonder if it's too much too soon for me and if I might jusrt burn out. A recipe for disaster, maybe, or a wonderful opportunity for fun, too. I'll check it out.
So, good night to you all, and if the CD player begins to skip and the dog unexplainably freaks out, get in a doorway or under a desk!
Hope our drama doesn't make life difficult for you in WV. Ideally it'll all be cleared up tomorrow.
Thanks again for your lovely thoughts.
Closed Thread