Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-31-2008, 08:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/145/125

Height: 5ft.3in

Question Anyone experienced this

Good Morning, Anyone experience constipation while on high fiber, low calorie diet plans. Well I do, and now that I am back to low carb I seem to be back to normal. WHAT IS GOING ON? Most people I talk to say they get constipated on low carb, but for me if I eat bread I'm as good as constipated. I guess my body doesn't like the carbs because I can always drop weight living low carb. Its just so hard, I have always loved any kind of protein but if the bread is there I can't seem to resist it after 3-4 months without it. I guess my body is telling me it doesn't like the bread. Thanks Christy
racerwife07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:02 AM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Water and fat are key when you increase the fiber in your diet. If you lack either of those things, you will suffer from constipation.

So - likely your low calorie diet is also low in fat.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:06 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! Lots of variation in how these things affect individuals. The first thing I wonder is, do you drink enough water/fluids? Sometimes not getting enough water can lead to constipation.

Also, be sure you chew foods with carbs well enough--like whole wheat bread.

You might also try a fiber supplement like Benefiber--but be careful you don't take too much to begin with. It may be that your body is used to low-fiber foods and just needs some practice. I'm just guessing here--I'm not an expert.

Fresh fruits like apples have fiber--you could try those instead of breads, rice, etc. to get fiber.

That's about all I can think of. Have you talked to a doctor about it?

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 01-31-2008 at 09:08 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:07 AM   #4  
Trying it again....

S/C/G: 237/237/145

Height: 5'4"

Yes, my doctors always told me that lots of water will help the flow of your bowel and will help to soften the bowel and walking will massage the passageway and it'll make it easier to have a movement.
tkglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:13 AM   #5  

THANKS GUYS I"M tring really hard to drink more water. Christy
Old 01-31-2008, 11:05 AM   #6  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Christy, I drink quite a bit of water. I had to sneak up on my fiber intake. I was in agony when I tried to boost it too much. I've always consumed water so increasing it was not a problem. You've got to do that if you want food to run its course (so to speak). Just keep some sort of bottle with you at your desk, the computer and in the car. You'll be drinking more before you know it.

I couldn't do the low carb thing. I try to keep my fiber at around 40. Some days I go over some under. I watch fat as well.

Good luck.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:21 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I have this problem. My fiber is always over 30 and my calories between 1200-1300. I drink all day long. I keep fat percentage to about 20% so I blame it on that. I never had this problem when I used to eat pepperoni pizza for dinner three nights a week.

I find what helps the most is a walk as soon as I get up. Doesn't have to be miles, just around the block seems to wake up the system. Makes the dogs happy, too.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:27 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Do you eat a lot of cheese? I believe cheese causes constipation.

I eat tons of fiber (over 50 g per day) but also drink a good amount of water.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:47 AM   #9  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb All good suggestions

Since I have been doing restricted carbs I too am experiencing some constipation. When the "Daily Double"(as I like to call it) happens, I yell out "Yippee!" I live in an apartment so my neighbors probably think I'm nuts. Who cares?

What helps me is that little bit of grease from the oil I use for my morning eggs and turkey bacon. Blessed be fat for it greases the "innards"!

I agree about the walking. Sometimes, just getting up, making the bed, running back and forth getting started in the morning is all I need. Hey, it works for the dogs (as an ex-dog owner, I've observed). Maybe, get a dog, if this persists?

Again, I think it just takes time for your body to adjust to a difference in diet. I never could eat much cheese because of this very reason but now that I have been eating it daily for almost a month, I think my "system" is saying, "Hey, I recognize you, pass through, my friend."

Give it time. I would rather eat an apple than take a pill. Apple a day keeps the doctor away.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:22 PM   #10  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamatga View Post
Since I have been doing restricted carbs I too am experiencing some constipation. When the "Daily Double"(as I like to call it) happens, I yell out "Yippee!" I live in an apartment so my neighbors probably think I'm nuts. Who cares?

What helps me is that little bit of grease from the oil I use for my morning eggs and turkey bacon. Blessed be fat for it greases the "innards"!
Old 01-31-2008, 12:40 PM   #11  

THANKS FOR THE GREAT INFO. I AM AIMING FOR 60OZS OF WATER DAILY, I AM UP TO ABOUT 24 NOT MUCH I KNOW, BUT I AM WORKING AT IT. WILL MY CRYSTAL LIGHT LEMONADE COUNT? PLEASE SAY YES!! THANKS CHRISTY
Old 01-31-2008, 12:45 PM   #12  
I wanna be a loser, too

Christy, would you please use a darker font? My old eyes had trouble reading that one.

I would think that any fluids would count. However, if you have one that is sugary or high in sodium, it could make you retain water instead of flushing.

At the risk of sounding like a commercial, you can do it. We can help.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:58 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

I agree as well, LOTS of water and in all honesty some fat does "grease" the wheel so thing go smoothly. I walk my dog for 30 min first thing in the morning every weekday, it can be a pain to get up that extra half an hour early but it gets my body (and digestive system) moving.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:06 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

Christy most woudl agree crystal light counts. Personnally I only drink crystal light although i am trying to reduce the amoutn I put in so I'm only using half a packet but I fill up a 2 liter bottle every morning flavour it and off I go.

The other thing I do is have prunes as a snack every afternoon. I guess technically they are high carb but it helps keep you regular. I also love them!! I once binged on them...let's just say that was not a good night!!
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:18 PM   #15  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Be careful not to eat TOO much fiber, too. When you think about it, fiber puffs up with water. That's what keeps you full.

Well, too many things "puffed up" in your bowels will cause some traffic jams.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote