Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-29-2008, 09:20 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default HELP! I'm starving!

Well OK, not literally. But this first week of eating smaller portions is really getting to me. My stomach is growling virtually all the time, even right after I've eaten. I haven't been on a diet in so long that I've forgotten how hard it is to get going. I keep drinking water, hot tea, etc. but when will these pains go away?

The only time I don't feel like eating is right after walking on the treadmill, but that feeling doesn't last long.

I've been reading some of your stories, and some of you said you just made up your minds and did it. But for those who are/were not as strong, how did you get through this period?
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:23 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Paula - can you post menus for a sample day? Even when I got started, I was never hungry all day...maybe a bit right before a meal or after a workout, but not constantly!

What are you eating? Specifically, how many calories, and what types of foods? What kind of plan are you on?

Give some more information and I'm sure we'll be able to come up with some suggestions.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:58 PM   #3  
navywife022506

S/C/G: 238/228/130

Yea, share your menu with us. You may not be getting enough food to satisfy your body for the day. I'm never hungry until about 8pm at night and that's when I am hungry for junk food. Sometimes I feel like I'm hungry during the day, but it's because of boredom, and I just chew on a stick of gum. When you eat smaller portions, chew really slow and take your time eating. There are a ton of tricks, but I know that more people can help you if we know what you are eating during the day.
navywife022506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

I was also not hungry all the time, either, so it wasn't about battling that demon -- at least not all the time.

We don't know how much you weigh or your activity level, so it's very hard to say how much you should be eating, but if you check out this post in the calorie counters forum, you might get a sense of how much you can eat to lose at various weights...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...67&postcount=2

You don't have to eat "bunny food" all day to lose weight!!

Last edited by Heather; 01-29-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:36 PM   #5  

I weigh 253, and I walk fast for 30 minutes a day. Do handweights every other day.

I'm doing the Bob Greene diet, which is not one where you count calories, and I definitely don't want to do anything I won't stick with, so no points etc for me.

I've been having oatmeal made with skim milk for breakfast; my bigger meal is at lunch, it varies day to day; but following his plan it's nothing fried, no transfats, no white bread - mostly chicken or fish and veggies. Dinner I've been having whatever I cook for my husband (who always eats healthy and isn't heavy), but I'm using a salad plate instead of a dinner plate. I've already switched to whole grains, brown rice, etc. I'll have a piece of fruit for a snack. I've cut out all diet soda and am drinking tea, water or skim milk.

Maybe my body is just in shock that I'm not eating whenever and whatever I want? LOL
Old 01-29-2008, 11:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Paula -- It doesn't sound like you're eating any snacks!! Lots of us find success adding in healthy lo-cal snacks between meals. It keeps us from getting too hungry and that helps keep us on plan!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

Hmm... I've never really been hungry, unless, of course, I go too long without eating.

I agree that you need to add some snacks. Going too long without eating never helps. I reccomend something with a little bit of protein and carb. I love half a banana with some peanut butter, a piece of fruit and a piece of cheese, etc.

You may want to try adding more with breakfast too. Especially a little more protein. Maybe some eggs or yogurt and some fruit?
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:02 AM   #8  

Height: 5'4

It also happens to me when I start dieting, but it only happens the first 3 weeks (to me)
LondonAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:06 AM   #9  
A loser losing happily

S/C/G: 280/ticker/180

Height: 5'6

I agree with what others have said you might want to add snacks! fruit is a great filler upper. Adding fruit to your oatmeal in the morning might be fun too.
Tavinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:14 AM   #10  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yes, try snacks with a good combination of fiber and protein. Fruit is good...but fruit with a bit of protein would give you more satiety than fruit alone.

Try some healthy snacks that combine protein and fiber...they may help keep you full over the long term! If necessary, you could cut your lunch/dinner portions back a bit to make caloric room for the extra snacks.

My favorite protein/fiber snacks include yogurt with berries and some high fiber cereal, 100-calorie Balance Bars if I'm on the road, or even a small bowl of a high fiber cereal with some milk. If you want something sweet, some berries and sugar free chocolate pudding is decadent, and actually really satisfying!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:26 AM   #11  

OK, thanks for all the good tips. I appreciate it very much!

I'm not much of a sweet lover, the stuff I crave is always more crunchy like chips, or too much bread. It's been a real adjustment to give up white bread, regular pasta, white potatoes.

For years I worked out about two hours a day so I could eat whatever I liked. I quit working out when my commute turned into 3 hours a day, continued eating like I used to, plus I got old too. What was so easy before became monumental.

Last edited by PaulaM; 01-30-2008 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:36 AM   #12  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I know you say you don't want to count calories or points, but it might be helpful to do this for just a couple of days. It would give you an idea of whether or not you are eating the right amount of food. If you've reduced your portion sizes too much, you might just not be eating enough. And I agree with everyone else about adding some snacks. I seriously cannot go more than three hours without eating at least a snack. If you added up your calories for a couple of days, you'd get a feel for how large your portions should be and what you can eat in terms of snacks. You'd only need to do it for a couple of days just to get an idea of how much to eat.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:04 AM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi Paula. It is tough the first few weeks. I can't recall if I was actually hungry, but I know I was certainly CRAVING. I also gave up the foods I loved most - the breads, pastas, rice and potatoes, etc. Luckily after even less then 2 weeks it improved GREATLY. Try to remember that every time you say no to one of these foods you are saying YES to a healthier, trimmer and happier you. And believe it or not, sooner rather then later, you won't even miss them. Hang tough, it's so incredbily worth it and you won't ever regret doing so. It's a true gift you will be giving yourself. Incredibly, incredbily rewarding.

I eat very often now, never allowing myself to get hungry. I was a big grazer before, I still am. I just switched to very healthy, low cal foods to graze on. I also agree and keep that I'd rather have smaller meals and eat more frequently.

Some things I like to munch on throughout the day:

-raw string beans, baby carrots, grape tomatoes. You can use salsa as a dip if you like. It's very low cal.
-cucumber salad - I make a big batch in the morning or the previous night and nibble at it all day. I even take a container of it to work.
-60 calorie fat free/sugar free yogurt (Danon). I partially freeze these - yum - and add in 1/4 cup of Fiber One cereal to make it even more nutritious, satisfying. filling and yummy
-red cabbage slaw. I make a big batch of this as well and yup, nibble through out the day on it.
-frozen grapes
-hard boiled egg whites
-egg white omlettes with some sauteed veggies
-whatever berries are in season and on sale, like blue, rasp and straw. Low cal and full of fiber
-salad with a 3 oz can of tuna thrown in and balsamic vinegar
-sugar free ices
-not one of my favorites - but cottage cheese is a good protein source

Really, there's no need to be hungry, whatsoever. But of course it IS an adjustment. And rest assured - adjust you will. In fact you will be amazed by it. Keep in mind that this really and truly IS doable and that you too CAN do it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:54 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I think it is a bit like quitting smoking. At first it is very difficult. After a while you get used to it, and feel so much better about yourself! When I first started this journey, I would be so hungry by meal or snack time that I was afraid I might bite anyone who got between me and my food!
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #15  

Did I say I love you guys already? Thanks so much for all the good tips. I really really want my old body back.

I think I've been afraid to snack, thinking it will be the road back to eating too much.