Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-28-2008, 11:41 PM   #1  
Ms. Cybil

S/C/G: 148/ticker/135

Height: 5'2 1/2

Default Can't stick to a diet =(

I couldn't stick to a diet if my life depended on it. I have absolutely no self-control when it comes to eating. I've really been trying hard...my mornings always start off great--I wake up at 6AM everyday--I've managed to keep up with exercising almost every morning, drinking nearly two bottles of water, take a shower, then eat breakfast, which usually consists of oatmeal and an apple or orange, or toast with an apple or orange. After that...I go to class, and BOOM, it all goes downhill from there. I'll bring a piece of fruit or some bran cereal with me to snack on, but no matter what, I'm still hungry. I don't have a break to eat an actual lunch, so by time 1:30 rolls around and I'm back home, I pretty much go crazy and binge eat the rest of afternoon/night. The only good things I've managed to cut out are sodas and fast food. Other than that--I'll go crazy on fruit, yogurt, sandwiches, extra portions of dinner, etc....

I need advice...or help...or a firm kick in the bottom to get myself on track and actually STICK TO A PLAN.
purple kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:49 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

You know, you might really benefit from getting a combination of protein and fiber in the mornings. Oatmeal has fiber, but almost no protein...protein does amazing things to keep you full.

It is really hard to stick to a plan when you're starving...your body is telling you to eat! So try more protein and fiber and see if that helps.

You also might want to take the time to make sure your meals are balanced throughout the day. This was absolutely KEY for me...if I don't eat very much early in the day, I always binge later on. If I eat evenly throughout the day, I am much less tempted to overeat at night.

At a certain point, it is about just CHOOSING to stick to plan, but that can be a very hard choice to make if you're hungry or not choosing the right foods or eating them at the right times...and why make this harder than it needs to be, right?
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Don't think diet - deprivation, being hungry. Think "life style change" - a way of eating that keeps you full and satisfied. For me, I used a combination of whole foods (limiting processed foods), calorie counting (1400-1600 a day to lose weight) and volumetrics (eating big portions of healthy foods to stay full).

If you're like me, a morning of oatmeal for breakfast and granola bar for snack would have a negative impact on my blood sugar, making me really hungry for the rest of the day. Oatmeal for breakfast is fine, but try a snack with more protein for your mid morning snack - string cheese/apple, low fat cottage cheese, low fat yogurt, etc etc.

I also don't have a lot of self control with eating certain types of food - I discovered I was really really sensitive to sugar and refined carbs. For example, if I eat a cookie, I immediately want another cookie and another cookie. So, I try to eliminate those foods (packaged baked goods, white flour, chips, pretzels).

I get hungry too - so I eat. I eat 6-7 times a day!! Being full and satisfied keeps me happy and motivated.

Last edited by Glory87; 01-28-2008 at 11:59 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:11 AM   #4  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Hm, maybe you could do with a more solid breakfast (and add protein, like Mandalinn said). 6 to 1h30-2h is a pretty long time to go, so if you didn't have enough in the morning, it's no wonder you're tempted to eat a lot afterwards.

Also, make sure that your snack 'fits' you, so to say. Example: I never eat an apple for a snack, because apples make me hungry. Before breakfast is okay, but not in-between two meals. It's weird and I don't know why an apple will satisfy someone else and just make me even hungrier ten minutes later, but it's the way things are, I know it, and I had to pick other kinds of snacks. Maybe the ones you take with you aren't always snacks that agree with you?
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:12 AM   #5  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Can't you eat a lunch while you're in class?
-natural peanut butter on a slice of whole wheat bread
-a whole wheat wrap stuffed with half an avocado smashed up with some minced garlic and a romaine leaf
-a hard boiled egg with some baby carrots
-a handful of nuts (almonds, cashews, peanuts, pistachios, etc.) with sliced cucumbers

Just some quick-to-pack one-handed ideas.

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:09 AM   #6  

Height: 1.67m

I know for me to eat "non diet" foods while monitoring calories seems to work the best. If i cant eat the foods I like I tend to give up. Look at what foods satsify you. For me the food has to have some kind of fat in it to keep me happy. Then on the other hand there are things I'm happy to give up, like sweets, or several other things that are calorie rich - but don't take away my pasta with cheese!
Experiment with different types of foods and see which ones keep you full and energetic. It might be totally different ones from what you thougth would work and what the nutritionists recommend.
I never thought I would be full on fruit, but tea with a few pieces of fruit have proven to be my best breakfast, way better than oatmeal that leaves me hungry maybe as little as half an hour after eating.
timkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:27 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

I was going to suggest what kara did pack yourself a good healthy lunch to eat in class or even en route home.
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:38 AM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

People have some good ideas here! I just want to add-- Don't think that you "couldn't" stick to diet if your life depended on it. Your life does depend on it! The quality of your life, your present and future health, they all depend on getting healthy, staying fit, and not letting your weight get out of hand.

I wish that I had stopped gaining weight when I was in the 140s--but I didn't, and it was a lot harder to deal with later.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:57 AM   #9  
Mellow but Sassy

S/C/G: 280/255/160

Height: 5' 11"

I understand! MWF, I'm in class from 8 am to 2:30 with little 7 minute breaks between classes.

In the mornings, I'll usually have an egg, fruit, yogurt. I then pack snacks a ton of snacks and a sandwich or wrap to have between classes. I am lucky, however, that I'm in the same building and have an icebox and a locker available to me during the day so I'm not toting them around constantly.

Yes, apparently, you go to professional school and you get a locker. It kind of cracks me up.
Zen Pharmacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #10  
Ms. Cybil

S/C/G: 148/ticker/135

Height: 5'2 1/2

Thank you, everyone =) I really do love this forum because everyone is so supportive.
purple kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:35 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

Definitely agree with the others- get in more protein! I find that protein is a big key to keeping me satisfied.

Also, when you get home really hungry, try the twenty minute rule. Measure out a plate full of proper size portions. When you're done eating, set a timer for 20 minutes. If, at the end of twenty minutes, you're still hungry, have another serving. When I get really hungry, it's like Godzilla storming through the kitchen. But I've found that, most of the time, I'm satisfied after one serving, as long as I give it twenty minutes to sink in.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:04 AM   #12  

Height: 5'4

I have the EXACT same problem...
LondonAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:22 AM   #13  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthLake View Post
Also, when you get home really hungry, try the twenty minute rule. Measure out a plate full of proper size portions. When you're done eating, set a timer for 20 minutes. If, at the end of twenty minutes, you're still hungry, have another serving. When I get really hungry, it's like Godzilla storming through the kitchen. But I've found that, most of the time, I'm satisfied after one serving, as long as I give it twenty minutes to sink in.
Thanks for posting that. It's a terrific idea!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 175 / 140 / 125

Height: 5'2"

Ms Cybil, All the advice you've received here is excellent. I'm another one who has to have some form of protein in the morning to feel satisfied. I especially like the idea of setting a timer for 20 min. that's terrific advice. Thank you Southlake. I also want to add, remember to be proud of the changes you have already made. You say you've given up fast foods and soda. Not every student has that kind of will power. You have what it takes. Be kind to yourself. You can succeed.
lovnmom is offline   Reply With Quote