Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-28-2008, 08:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 211/182/150 (For now)

Height: 5'4"

Default Daily Plate Users

I'm not sure where to post this so I'll just post it here.

Do you go by your total calories or your net calories? I'm not sure it logs the exercise right on so I tend to go by the total calories. Should I go by net?

My total for the day is 1,369 calories but net says 686 after I did a mix of 5 miles of WATP. I tracked the exercise as "walking" and I put how many minutes each mile took me and so forth.

Like, 2 15 minute miles and 3 12 minute miles....even though I did 2 15, 2 10, and a 13. I just upped it a bit. Should I do it that way or go with aerobics? What's the most accurate?

Did I get enough to eat? I had 2600 mg of sodium...that's way too much right? I've had about 90oz of water today so far does that cancel any of that out? I feel so dumb all of the sudden. I haven't done the cal tracker thing in a while.
LynseyLikes2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:21 PM   #2  
navywife022506

S/C/G: 238/228/130

Height: 5'5"

I so wish that I could help you with this, but I don't track my calorie intake because I have no clue where to begin I probably don't get enough calories because I don't know what I am doing....lol
navywife022506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:42 PM   #3  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

I would use your actual calories rather than net calories. I'm never entirely sure about software that tracks calories for exercise. I don't know enough about the daily plate, but I took my exercise from today (90 mins treadmill) without worrying about the incline. In other words I compared two 90 min walks on both FitDay and the DailyPlate. FitDay tells me that I burned 342 calories, the DailyPlate tells me it was 792 calories. That's a huge difference, but which is correct? (I don't think anyone really knows.)
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:49 PM   #4  

I personally don't count the exercise, just go by the actual intake of calories -- but I have A LOT to lose and just assume it helps me out a bit to not over do it with my calories.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:50 PM   #5  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

The only way to really track calories burned is a heart rate monitor.

I don't use DP except to look stuff up that Fitday doesn't have....but I don't count calories burned when I decide how many calories I can have. It kind of negates to point of exercising if you eat the calories back.

As for sodium...unless you are eating a lot of processed stuff or have been told to wathc your soium intake I wouldn't freak over the numbers. I know I don't get as much as Fitday says because sometimes it looks like they add sodium for me...I hardly use salt when I cook. (Makes DH )
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:54 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

You've consumed 1396 calories worth of food. You've got all the nutrients and energy from those calories. No amount of exercise can take that away.

I totally and completely ignore the exercise portion of the on line calorie counters. I eat what I eat and I burn what I burn. One has nothing to do with the other for me. Exercisng, IMO is not an invitation to eat MORE food. We want to create a deficit and exercise gives us MORE of a deficit then just cutting back on your calories. Which is a good thing.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 211/182/150 (For now)

Ok, so I think I did pretty good today then. I always wonder about those exercise things. I'll just forget about putting it in from now on and go by my total cals. I should get about 1444 to lose about 2 pounds a week so I'm under that but not too low!
LynseyLikes2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:10 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynseyLikes2Lose View Post
Ok, so I think I did pretty good today then. I always wonder about those exercise things. I'll just forget about putting it in from now on and go by my total cals. I should get about 1444 to lose about 2 pounds a week so I'm under that but not too low!
Lynsey, that 1444 calories is just an approximate. There is no way to know for sure what the "correct" number is to lose 2 lbs a week. In fact, even if somehow you can do the same exact thing 4 weeks in a row, calorie wise AND exercise you'd most likely get 4 different results. These things are NOT exact.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 01-29-2008 at 08:56 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #9  
Visualizing the Goal

Lynsey, I log Walk Away the Pounds as "low impact aerobics" in The Daily Plate. I think it fits better there than walking since I'm not actually propelling myself forward but rather walking in place. But it doesn't make that much difference because I don't pay attention to the calories burned when figuring out how much to eat. The way I think of it is this...I'm creating a small defecit by cutting calories from my maintance level and then any exercise I do is like bonus weight loss. I like the idea of a "bonus"! It makes me really motivated to exercise! I just wait until the end of the day to log my exercise so I don't get confused by how The Daily Plate figures it in to my daily caloric allowance.

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote