Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-22-2008, 09:34 PM   #1  
Wannabe Health Nut!

S/C/G: 228/ticker/128

Height: 5"4

Default For the exercise haters - what made you stop loving it?

Yes, what made you STOP loving it? I'm sure 'waaaay back when', you actually LOVED exercising.. Remember when you were a kid and just dying to go outside, hating to sit still, waiting for the clock to hit recess time?

There had to be a point where you stopped loving it and started hating it, and maybe, just maybe, figuring out WHY you started getting a negative perception of exercise will help with creating positive images of exercise??

For me, I was sort of a chubby kid. I used to love running around, exercising basically.. I loved recess, I loved going outside, I loved rollerblading, ice hockey, street hockey, riding my bike. I hated sitting inside and doing nothing, I loved moving.

For me, I think I started disliking exercise when it was turned into school gym. I was always picked last or near last and teased because I couldn't keep up with the other kids or I didn't know all the rules to the games because my parents didn't really give a damn or have enough time to take me to games even when I wanted to join things like soccer or vaulting class.

I think it came from the teasing and people pushing me to do as well as the other more athletic kids where I just labelled myself a failure and started skipping gym class and thinking of exercise as some horrible thing. From doing the laps around the middle and high school tracks when it was 95 degrees and humid Virginia weather, or icy cold and my lungs burned..

I don't think I ever hated the exercise. I think it was being pushed and coming in last and being humiliated. I think I need to remind myself it wasn't the exercise I hated, and now that I'm 25, I'm not competing against anyone except myself..

Does anyone else feel this way?
LittleMissMotivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Honestly, I never loved exercise. I was a little kid who loved to daydream and read. During recess, I was the kid wandering way out in left field during dodge ball, thinking up stories. Never liked riding my bike (except to get from point A to point B), was deathly afraid of rollerskating (falling down!). I still absolutely hate it, hate the way it feels, hate feeling out of breath, hate being sore.

I know I need to, but I hate it!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 318/300/180

Height: 5'3

i used to love to skate and bikeride even in my early twentys... i started hating it when i got fat and it became hard to walk much less do anything more strenuous lol... i wouldnt say i was over active as a kid, but walking across town to a friends house was nothing for me.. i think i just started hating the fact it hurts now
remydey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/190/100

Height: 4'10"

I loved to walk across town to my friends house and ride my bike and rollerblade. But I never liked gym or running the mile in gym. I hate feeling hot and sweaty and breathing hard. I do love to swim for hours and I used to love hiking--until the last time I went hiking and practically died of exhaustion--that's when I knew I was SOOO out of shape. I wish I could psych myself into it again. I don't have friends homes I can walk to now, I don't own a bike or rollerblades, or a pool for that matter. Blah, I just hear excuse after excuse. . . ..
kis37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

I honestly can't pinpoint why I hate exercise.. I never exercised during gym class because I always had a sick note because of my asthma problem (which went away) or skipped class. I think it could be because when I was in my early teens my mom pushed me to go out for walks and basically dragged me by my hand to keep up with her pace.. I remember that I couldn't breath and they would still push me.. at that age I wasn't really big, just chubby.

sigh.. I'm struggling to find exercises I like, some days I just tell my self to do it and get it over with. I've always enjoyed it more when I had a friend to exercise with me and we would make fun of eachother and gossip etc...

I think I will always hate it while I'm at this weight, maybe when I'm slimmer and can move easier then I would start enjoying it

If anyone finds a cure before then let us know
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:17 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

When I was really little, I loved to get out and move around.. ride my bike, go swimming, jump rope, all that fun stuff. It was gym class that got me to hate it... I was embarrassed because I wasn't good at any of the sports, the kids would be so cruel, too. I was thin then, but I really started to hate exercise and that's part of what made me put on so much weight.

Come the days when I was in my preteens, at recess I'd always be the girl who sat under a shady tree and read a book, drew, wrote, or just talked with a group of friends. I'd sit out when everyone was playing softball or whatever the teachers told them to, and sometimes even refused if they told me to join.

I'd be lying if I said that I ever was necessarily athletic, but I didn't start actually hating it until gym.. that really ruined it for me.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:25 AM   #7  
excited about this site

S/C/G: 153/135/130

Height: 5'3"

I can definitely relate to the anticompetitiveness. I would hate how my classmates/friends would be upset if we didn't win like it was all that mattered. And for me exercise is difficult because my entire family criticizes me for being "flabby" and suggest I go to the gym. And I feel like they think being overweight is a terrible thing, like a crime. When really its something that happens to the best of people.
Now I am exercising and I'm trying to hide it from my family bc I don't want to hear them say I told you so, I'm doing this for myself no one else.
Jenbunnie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:01 AM   #8  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
Honestly, I never loved exercise. I was a little kid who loved to daydream and read. During recess, I was the kid wandering way out in left field during dodge ball, thinking up stories.
That was so me! I also never loved exercise (although I did like riding my bike, mainly because I could daydream while doing it). I dreaded recess and gym class was even worse. But the absolute worst was field day! Once a year, instead of going to class, we had field day where we had to compete in all sorts of physical activities. It was the worst day of my year.

And I know why I hate exercise--it's because I'm miserable at it. I'm a klutz, I'm slow, I have no balance or coordination and I look like a total idiot (worse, an idiot with flop sweats). I also hate to do things that are hard, I hate being out of breath, I hate being sweaty, and most exercise is BOOORRRRING. I have a personal trainer and he'll sometimes ask me if I enjoyed a session or a particular exercise. I'm always stumped by the question. Do people really enjoy this stuff? If I liked it, I wouldn't have to pay him to make me do it.

The only exercise I remember enjoying was dancing. When we were in highschool, my sister I went to dance clubs every weekend. We would dance for hours without stopping. We would leave just drenched in sweat. But we loved it.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

Again, it would probably be gym class. In school I was super shy and self concious, therefore I hated anything that would put me front and center. I used to have nightmares about going up to "bat" for kickball, and missing the ball and having everyone laugh at me (as I write this I'm cringing). It wasn't even the competiveness b/c I'm fairly competive, it was the fear of making a mistake and the humillation that would follow.

I excelled at and loved non-team sports: swimming, horseback riding, tennis, badmonton and wall climbing. So that's what I threw myself into. It's odd though, because I'm naturally athletic. I pick up on sports very easilly. I'll take a few lessons and people will assume I've been playing for years. Coaches always tell me what a natural I am, but still I shy away from sports. I guess, I'm still holding on to that fear of humilation.

BlueToBlue I love to dance too! I started sneaking into dance clubs when I was 15 (the legal age here is 18) not so I could drink, but so I could dance. Even now, no workout compares to a night spent dancing in my 3 inch heals. Best butt and thigh workout ever!
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #10  
Made of Starstuff

Gym class & recess forced games.

That was the start of my hating "exercise". I was also the tall/chubby kid who was never coordinated enough to catch the ball.

During summers, I LOVED to just get out of the house & walk & bike around the neighborhood with friends & playmates. But when gym-time came, so did my self-hatred.

Up until recently, I just equated all movement with gym classes. But I've found that when I'm on my own, doing my thing and just enjoying my body moving that I don't hate it. I actually like it. A lot!

I think I've figured out that I'm a "compete against myself" sort of person, and not into group games. That helped me get movin' more!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:43 PM   #11  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

Ok, I must be the weirdo. I was 100% in shape my entire life until I hit 20. I played sports year round and was a competitive swimmer. When I turned 20 my metabolism took a nosedive and I gained 30 pounds in a matter of maybe 12 weeks. I all of a sudden had no energy, and stopped feeling good about myself and had no motivation. After two kids and very high weight gaining pregnancies, it was very hard to even think about doing any sort of exercise It was all just a memory. It has been an uphill battle every day, even though I work out like crazy now. I still complain the whole way to the gym. I know eventually my fitness will increase and I won't feel as crabby about going, but until then I just have to force myself to go.
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:57 PM   #12  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

My abusive step father forcing me to exercise hours on end with no break, no water, no food and would punish me without dinner if I was caught taking a break.

The continuous problems with breathing when I tried to run, and having burning cigarettes thrown at me and being told to "suck it up fatso". I did not know at this time that I had asthma, and step father refused to look into it when the gym teacher demanded I get it checked out.

Last edited by tamaralynn; 01-25-2008 at 04:58 PM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:28 PM   #13  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I don't think it's so much that people loved "exercise" as a kid and stopped. As kids we loved "play". As adults, we came with responsibilities...no summers off, not out of school at 3:30 and to the park, but home after 5:00 or later to fix dinner for the kids without those responsibilities. So we came with less time. And exercise wasn't play. As adults, many of us would likely still love to get out and hit a ball or go to the park. And then, we can't, we don't, we get overweight and find we're too tired to even do any of that now.

For me, yeah, as a kid, I loved "playing". But mom monitored my play and kept me out of a lot as I had heart complications. So as I grew up, I had learned to be lazy, and I gained responsibilities and even less time for the limited movement I did enjoy, yet still ate the same way I always had. So the weight crept up and the tiredness piled on.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:59 PM   #14  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I never loved exercise. Even as a very thin child, I preferred books and make-believe and creative outlets over physical ones.
Gym class was a nightmare. As a "band" student, I missed out on a lot of gym. I never knew the rules to the games, I really didn't see the sense to "Chinese Soccer".
When my parents divorced and my mother didn't drive, I learned how to walk everywhere. This was not fun. Biking was a form of transportation as well.
I have always tolerated exercise because I know that it is good for me. After I finish, I feel a sense of accomplishment. Caring for myself is a good thing. But, at this age, I doubt I will EVER "love" it.
This is probably why I am so lenient about it. I exercise twice a day 5-7 times per week. But I always give myself complete flexibility regarding what I will do and how long I will do it. I buy new equpment and videos regularly to keep me from getting bored with my workouts.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:57 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I was the same way LMM.

We lived in the middle of nowhere so I was always taking off into the woods or playing and running around with the dogs. However school gym was awful. I always faked being sick, skipped school, cried thinking about. It was just terrible. I never knew any rules for sports and was awful at most of them (other than serving in volleyball...that's like the fat girl position).

I still get that feeling when I walk into the gym like I did back in school but I have to remind myself it's not the same. Nobody cares how fast I run or how much I lift.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote