Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-22-2008, 05:49 PM   #1  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Default Places I never knew I had places!

Oh my ouch! I rode my bike to school today (15 min each way), and am SORE. I hurt in places I never knew I had places.

I'm gonna do this every day, any thoughts on how long it's likely to take me to build up enough stamina not to feel like a puddle of goo after?
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:40 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

It's hard to say how long it'll take you to "not to feel like a puddle of goo after" .... because everyone varies but guaranteed in a month at the most you'll be feeling a LOT better about exercising...

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:54 PM   #3  
Blue Team Member

S/C/G: 297/229/150

Height: 5'5/168cm

i found it gets easier ever day with in a week or two you will be looking back and laughing at your self
amouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:39 AM   #4  
Agent 99- Black Team!

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

I definitely agree that it'll get easier every day. I bought an elliptical two weeks ago, and I couldn't go five minutes without stopping. Now I can go a full 25 minutes without stopping, although I still get that puddle of goo feeling right at the end.
GetSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #5  
Never-giver-upper

S/C/G: 186/176/135

Height: 5'7"

Ouch - biking can definitely test those muscles. Try not to overdo it at first, and you'll be feeling better within a few days.
Serena C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Height: 5'8"

I used to bike a lot, back before I had an accident and mangled me and my bike ('fraid to get a new one now ). Each spring it would take me a good week to readjust - and by this I mean not feel like my legs were about to turn to rubber and collapse under me the first few steps after dismounting. There was another week of general soreness because I would usually go hog wild biking everywhere those first couple of weeks. I get a serious case of cabin fever after the long winters - once spring arrives you can't keep me inside for more than two seconds at a time

I don't know if you already have one, but do you have a woman's saddle (seat) on your bike? Most bikes come with a men's saddle and they're not wide enough for our bones - you'll get really sore 'down there' really quickly if you're using one made for guys.

BP
bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:05 PM   #7  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

After my "places" didn't stop hurting, I started wrapping towels around the seat, but finally I caved and got a new super squishy bike seat and that makes biking more enjoyable and easier to do everyday.
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:39 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

I have an ergonomically correct seat for women that helps a LOT with the soreness...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:22 PM   #9  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Hi all - thanks for the tips. I'm about a week out, although I didn't ride EVERY day like I thought I would. Still, I can see some improvement already. My quads still burn when I ride, and I get a little jittery afterward, but I'd say I've progressed from "puddle of goo" to just "mushy but vertical"

I really like biking, but I'm a little skittish of the cars and the big snow ruts. I didn't fall off at all today though! The route I take isn't very long at all - it takes about 15 minutes, and I probably don't go over 10 mph. So all told, by dividing it into 2 15 min sessions it seems to be getting better pretty fast.

I have a really good bike seat (I think) that is super squishy and kinda has shocks so I don't bruise, um, back there.

BP - scary accident? I'm glad you are OK. Thanks for the tips.
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote